FLAC not copying

I’m sure this has been answered before, but I did a few quick searches and didn’t find anything that I could tell answered my question.

According to all the documentation the Fuze supports FLAC. I have a bunch of FLAC files I’ve created myself from WAVs using foobar2000.

When I try to drag and drop onto my Fuze in the music folder somewhere I get the following error message:

“The xxx.flac file type is not supported on this device. If it is a media file, you may be able to use Windows Media Player to convert the file to a playable type prior to transfer. Do you wish to skip this file now?”

And the only options I’m given are Skip, Skip All, and Cancel, so I can’t even force it onto the device. What gives??

Sounds like you might need to update your firmware…FLAC was not originally supported on the Fuze, it was added in a firmware update.

Go to Settings > System Settings on the Fuze and look at the installed firmware version.  This will be the top line of teh display.  Sounds like you have the early firmware (No OGG or FLAC).

Update your firmware using the instructions in this thread

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

This is with a newly updated firmware (as of today), shown on the device as V02.02.28A.

Iniamyen wrote:
This is with a newly updated firmware (as of today), shown on the device as V02.02.28A.

If you are trying to drag and drop, and not use WMP, then they should be working…I’m at a loss as far as an explanation, unfortunately. Sorry. Hopefully someone else has an idea for you.

Correct, just regular Windows explorer-type drag and drop is giving me that error.

Iniamyen wrote:
Correct, just regular Windows explorer-type drag and drop is giving me that error.

They used to work that way for me…the only difference that I can think of is that mine were made by Exact Audio Copy and not foobar. But I’ve converted FLAC files to other formats like mp3 and ogg with foobar and they played. Very strange…

That error doesn’t sound like regular Windows Explorer at all.

Windows Explorer does not care what it copies to your Fuze, you can as easily copy Excel or Word files as files actually supported on the Fuze.

Seeing you have recently upgraded, check if your player is still in MSC mode. It sounds like there’s something MTP-ish interfering with your copying. 

In MSC mode, the Fuze is just a disk device like any other. Windows Explorer won’t care at all what you copy to it.

Hah! I think that was it. I changed to MSC mode, and now the device looks different to Windows. Just shows up as a USB drive instead of a Sansa Fuze with the special mp3 player icon. The file system now appears in all uppercase letters, too. Now I can copy stuff fine. Thanks a ton!!