FLAC files and Windows Media Player

Hi,

I have a lot of FLAC files. They work just fine if I drag and drop them to the Fuze’s music folder, but I don’t know how to associate the album, artist, etc. information for the files so they show up all together in a Unknown folder.

Windows Media Player doesn’t support FLAC, or is there a plug-in I don’t know about?

Thanks,

WR

To get WMP to recognize and play flac files you should install:

1. Directshow Filters for Ogg Vorbis, Speex, Theora and FLAC

2. WMP Tag Support Extender

Windows will be able to read the flac tags and WMP can edit them. You won’t be able to rewind or fast forward during the song in WMP, but it’ll play and skip to the next/previous song just fine. 

You’ll also be able to transfer the songs via WMP.

Message Edited by canaws on 11-29-2008 02:42 PM

Message Edited by canaws on 11-29-2008 02:45 PM

canaws!

Thank you for the links.  Hopefully, others will find the extensions handy with Windows Media Player.

The Fuze really sings with FLAC, though it takes quite a bit of memory space.  FLAC is fun to show the real capabilities of these wee beasties.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone using FLAC or Ogg would probably be a lot happier with Winamp over WMP.

@skinjob wrote:

Or MediaMonkey :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@skinjob wrote:

True! It’s a pain to make other formats (flac, ogg, m4a, mp4) work with WMP. I’m a bit of a minimalist though. I’m hate having so many different programs littering my quicklaunch bar, so I’m making the best of WMP. It’s doing what I need it to do. =)

Any recommendations for an OGG and FLAC encoder?  It’s convenient to have WiMP at least recognize the files, but for encoding, that’s a different story.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Any recommendations for an OGG and FLAC encoder?  It’s convenient to have WiMP at least recognize the files, but for encoding, that’s a different story.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but: Winamp? :wink:

Seriously though, I’ve never heard of Ogg/FLAC encoders for WMP.  I’d be surprised if such a thing exists.

Make sure you use the latest, greatest Ogg Vorbis codec (aoTuVb 5.5 libvorbis.dll) from

http://rarewares.org/ogg-libraries.php

I use foobar2000 for transcoding from properly tagged FLAC to ogg (or whatever else)

You might find dbPoweramp the simplest of all.

Online databases provide defective tag info (deliberately, I suspect), so you’ll also need

Hi,

Thanks for all the response.

I use GoldWave for FLAC file support, among other things. It’s a good program, and I rarely recommend software.

Best wishes to all,

WR

@canaws wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@skinjob wrote:

True! It’s a pain to make other formats (flac, ogg, m4a, mp4) work with WMP. I’m a bit of a minimalist though. I’m hate having so many different programs littering my quicklaunch bar, so I’m making the best of WMP. It’s doing what I need it to do. =)

I keep MM and WMP11…between the 2 it seems I can do just about anything that I need… but to go  either one or the other, seems like there’s always something that could work easier with the other (if that makes any sense) :stuck_out_tongue:

Im using MediaMonkey for encoding OGG and Flac files.  The advantage is you can encode in these format using the FREE version.  :slight_smile:

Thanks, SansaFix.

I just loaded MM for some experiments recently, I’ll give it a try.  I have the codecs from Vorbis too.  Running Winamp with my primary WiMP11 setup would be a bad idea, I think.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Running Winamp with my primary WiMP11 setup would be a bad idea, I think.

You won’t have any problem if you’re running Winamp in MSC mode.  With MTP, worst case is Winamp will crash at startup if your player is connected, but it won’t mess up anything on your computer.  And it seems like it’s not always a problem with MTP.  I was trading posts with someone in another thread the other day who was surprised to hear that there was any confilct between WMP11 and Winamp in MTP mode, as he’d been using it for a while without problem.

In any case, MM is also an excellent choice.  Very powerful and great syncing functions.  I use both, but prefer Winamp’s UI, usability and customizability.

BTW, FLAC and Vorbis decoding and FLAC encoding are included with the Winamp install.   The Vorbis encoder is a plugin you can download from the Winamp Plugin site (it’s free).

Message Edited by Skinjob on 12-02-2008 04:18 PM

I am running in MTP mode, needed for Rhapsody and Audible services.  I saw that post regarding WiMP 11 / MTP / Winamp and no problem as well.

I did the Mr. Spock raised eyebrow salute to that one.

If there’s any conflict, I’ll set up a second PC with the alternate configuration, as there’s more than one road to Rome.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Bob - Here is codec pack that enables support in Windows Media Player (WMP) for most file extensions, including FLAC and OGG. It will enable you to play almost any type of A/V media. It even has an installer.

http://download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html

The codec pack does not, however, add the option to associate the new extensions with WMP. So to make everything simpler, also get the WMP Tag Support Extender, located here:

http://wmptagext.sourceforge.net/

You can then associate the new extensions in the “file types” tab of your options menu in WMP, and your ready to go.

Hope this helps anyone interested in using all of thier Fuze’s capabilties with WMP !(file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MEDICA%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png):wink:

-Dave