Firmware Updater Question

I just downloaded the Updater and when I clicked on “Run” the Updater

Icon blinked but nothing else happened.   Is it installed and is this typical of 

what happens when installing?

V01.01.30 is the version I currently have on my Clip.   I don’t think it was updated

when I plugged it into the computer.   I think that this is the original version I had

on it when I started.

Help please.

Regards,
Len

Aren’t you clicking on the update installer rather than the updater? I don’t have an answer for you (one can be searched for in the archives, if not by a live person soon), but wanted to agree with your frustration.

It would be nice if the updater was explicit about whether it had checked, and what it found. I believe I can see a flicker of the updater coming to life for a half second in the tooltray or whatever when starting the machine, but that is all.

I wish this forum would clearly post what are the latest version numbers and when a new one has been released (not buried in umpteen pages of extraneous discussion). Actually I guess there are always 2 current versions depending which subtype of hardware they happened to install inside.

Message Edited by daft on 05-24-2009 05:39 PM

@daft wrote:

Aren’t you clicking on the update installer rather than the updater? I don’t have an answer for you (one can be searched for in the archives, if not by a live person soon), but wanted to agree with your frustration.

It would be nice if the updater was explicit about whether it had checked, and what it found. I believe I can see a flicker of the updater coming to life for a half second in the tooltray or whatever when starting the machine, but that is all.

I wish this forum would clearly post what are the latest version numbers and when a new one has been released (not buried in umpteen pages of extraneous discussion). Actually I guess there are always 2 current versions depending which subtype of hardware they happened to install inside.

Message Edited by daft on 05-24-2009 05:39 PM

If you go to the “Sansa Clip Firmware Update” topic at the top of the page (among the “sticky” topics, so it’s hardly buried), it does give the version and date of release in the first post.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 05-24-2009 07:45 PM

On what page… IT’S 20 PAGES LONG!!! The info isn’t on the last pages, and the first pages have outdated numbers! That sticky shouldn’t allow water cooler chitchat.

@gwk1967 wrote:

If you go to the “Sansa Clip Firmware Update” topic at the top of the page (among the “sticky” topics, so it’s hardly buried), it does give the version and date of release in the first post.

I don’t see any release date. The only way for a newbie to make sense out of what you say is to note the subtle “last updated” timestamp at the end of that long first post. It is relatively recent, but who knows if ver# was updated at that time. Only way to tell is to wade thru 20 pages of that thread and look for version numbers. If they are all less or equal, than we can infer that maybe someone kept the first post valid in it’s entirety. I would prefer that sticky allowed no replies.

Message Edited by daft on 05-24-2009 06:09 PM

@daft wrote:

@gwk1967 wrote:

I don’t see any release date. The only way for a newbie to make sense out of what you say is to note the subtle “last updated” timestamp at the end of that long first post. It is relatively recent, but who knows if ver# was updated at that time. Only way to tell is to wade thru 20 pages of that thread and look for version numbers. If they are all less or equal, than we can infer that maybe someone kept the first post valid in it’s entirety. I would prefer that sticky allowed no replies.

Message Edited by daft on 05-24-2009 06:09 PM

Sansa Clip Firmware version 01.01.32 download and installation instructions

02-19-2009 06:45 PM  (release date)

Ok, if you folks can get past the arguing for a moment I 'd still like an answer to my original question.

That would be the first post and incidentally, the reason for this thread…lol.

BTW, I think that they do a pretty good job for the users and also the newbies.   Just requires a bit of 

effort to find the answers.  

In this case I think I followed the instructions with regard to downloading the updater.   I just wanted to know

why it doesn’t seem to update my firmware when I connect the Clip to the computer.

Regards,
Len

I found the Updater buggy in the past with my up-to-date Windows XP system.  Found it easier just to update manually (an infrequent event) when new firmware issued.  And that also kept the Updater from taking up computer system resources just waiting for the infrequent events. 

Well I’m beginning to wonder if I’d be better off just doing the same thing.

It doesn’t seem to work anyway.   I went to look at the clip explaining how to use

it and it didn’t work either.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards, 

Len

Ok, I went here to try and download the latest Firmware vers. for my Clip (2gig.):

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=15109

It says there are two different vers. available.   Anyone know which I should download

for my Clip.   01.01.32  or 02.01.32?

I currently have V01.01.30 on the Clip so I would think it would be the 01.01.32.   If so what’s

the other one for?

Regards,

Len

@djlen wrote:

Ok, I went here to try and download the latest Firmware vers. for my Clip (2gig.):

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=15109

It says there are two different vers. available.   Anyone know which I should download

for my Clip.   01.01.32  or 02.01.32?

I currently have V01.01.30 on the Clip so I would think it would be the 01.01.32.   If so what’s

the other one for?

Regards,

Len

You think right. The other one is for a V2 Clip, they have a different hardware but work no different.

Why is everthing so dang complicated around this little player.

I downloaded the update and it’s a “bin file” which I have no clue how to open.

I hate to be a pain in the a** but this is beginning to get on my last nerve.

Regards,

Len

@djlen wrote:

Regards,

Len

You DONT have to open the bin file. Thats what you copy to your player. The player can read it. 

@djlen wrote:

Regards,

Len

Really, it’s all very easy and is all explained in the Firmware Upgrade thread at the top of the forum.  Just follow the instructions there–it kinda sounds like you haven’t been reading and then following them.  Firmware upgrading should not be guessed at based on experience.

No, I’m sorry but it’s not ‘easy’.   The way it’s explained is very complicated and not clear at all.

I have read the **bleep** directions numerous times.   I downloaded the upgrade and it will not open.

The updater explanation is totally unclear and trying to open the upgrade and apply it just doesn’t 

work because it doesn’t open.  Even the ‘how-to’ video link is a blind link.  It opens in Winamp with no 

time and does nothing.

You know…I’ve done a bunch of firmware upgrades on different apps. and never had this much trouble

understanding what in the world they want.  

I give up.   The player works fine with the old firmware.   

It’s just aggravating when someone tells you it’s clear when it is not clear…like I’m an ■■■■■ or something.

Message Edited by djlen on 05-25-2009 08:29 PM

@djlen wrote:

No, I’m sorry but it’s not ‘easy’.   The way it’s explained is very complicated and not clear at all.

I have read the **bleep** directions numerous times.   I downloaded the upgrade and it will not open.

The updater explanation is totally unclear and trying to open the upgrade and apply it just doesn’t 

work because it doesn’t open.  Even the ‘how-to’ video link is a blind link.  It opens in Winamp with no 

time and does nothing.

You know…I’ve done a bunch of firmware upgrades on different apps. and never had this much trouble

understanding what in the world they want.  

I give up.   The player works fine with the old firmware.   

It’s just aggravating when someone tells you it’s clear when it is not clear…like I’m an ■■■■■ or something.

Message Edited by djlen on 05-25-2009 08:29 PM

Is it possible you are trying to do the wrong one? There are two versions of the clip and 2 Firmwares? What is your current Firmware. Have you tried just copying the bin to the player and turning it on?

I guess it’s just me, but I see the answers to your issues and questions in the instructions.

–  How to tell which version of the Clip you have, and which firmware revision to install:

Follow the instructions below to verify the hardware revision of your Clip before proceeding. 

• Turn on your Clip
  • Select Settings from the main menu
  • Select System Info
  • Look at the Version #

Revision 1 = 1.XX.XX (example: 1.XX.XX)

Revision 2 = 2.XX.XX (example: 2.XX.XX)

If your Clip is Revision 1 proceed to Revision 1 instructions.

If your Clip is Revision 2 proceed to Revision 2 instructions.

(You had asked which firmware revision to install.)  Genuinely asked, is there some part of this that remains unclear as to which firmware revision to install?  And if your Clip currently uses firmware that begins with a “1”, that is Revision1 firmware and that is what you’ll want to install now (and forever more).

–   Installation:

1. Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
  2. Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
  3. Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip.
  4. Disconnect the Sansa Clip and let it restart.
  5. The firmware update will now begin.
  6. Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will boot back up. Once its back to the main menu, head to "Settings" > "System Info", and verify the "Version" is now 01.01.32.

Agan, so that others can help, which part is unclear?  Note that you need to unzip (extract) the zip file you download; if your computer does not have a zip/unzip program, they are available on the Internet as free programs.  Also note that you simply drag the unzipped program over to your Clip, you don't open the file or do anything else with it.  And the "root level" of the Clip is the top level where you see the folders; don't put the unzipped file in any of the folders but just at that level.

Perhaps that helps?  And if questions still remain, you always can call SanDisk for assistance with the process.

Ok, I did unzip the zip file.  

When I open the 'G:' (Sansa) drive there are a few folders.

Music; Audiobooks; Record; Audible & Podcasts.   Do I just drag and 

drop the unzipped file to an open area or does it go in a folder?

Once dragged and dropped I disconnect the player and it will re-start on it’s own?

And the firmware will begin it’s update…correct?

Then once it’s finished it’s update it will re-boot itself and it should reflect the new 

version in the System Info. section.

I think the biggest question is where to drag the unzipped file to in the G file.

I do appreciate the help, BTW.

Regards,

Len

@djlen wrote:

Ok, I did unzip the zip file.  

When I open the 'G:' (Sansa) drive there are a few folders.

Music; Audiobooks; Record; Audible & Podcasts.   Do I just drag and 

drop the unzipped file to an open area or does it go in a folder?

Once dragged and dropped I disconnect the player and it will re-start on it’s own?

And the firmware will begin it’s update…correct?

Then once it’s finished it’s update it will re-boot itself and it should reflect the new 

version in the System Info. section.

I think the biggest question is where to drag the unzipped file to in the G file.

I do appreciate the help, BTW.

Regards,

Len

Not into any of the folders…in an open area is where you drop it. Then disconnect, and let it do its thing. :smiley:

As Marvin said.  And then the Clip does the firmware upgrade process itself–you just sit there and watch the process for under a minute, and you’re done!