Firmware update R201 released for SanDisk Extreme SSD

Download SSD Toolkit (version 1.0.0.0) (18MB)
Release notes for R201

Download and ins tall the SanDisk SSD toolkit. Once installed you can use the update tab to update the firmware of your SSD. For instructions see the SSD toolkit help file. 

R201 Release Notes 

• Improved the robustness of the recovery procedure during power cycles and secure erases
  • Fixed an issue that would block a TRIM command sent by an application while in Windows 7
  • Improved TRIM throughput, write performance, resume from slumber and checkpoints

Hi, is there a toolkit for Mac OS X?

currently no it is windows only. 

Just downloaded the SSD Toolkit to perform the R201 firmware update on my 120GB Extreme SSD. I created the bootable USB flash drive, rebooted to the USB drive, and ran the update.

It performed flawlessly, not the slightest unexpected behavior, I could not ask for more in it’s intended operation. I verified the firmware version in the Toolkit, and in Intel’s IRST software, R201 it is. The data on the SSD was untouched, although it was not an OS drive. The update worked with my SATA interface in RAID mode, but the Extreme SSD was not part of a RAID array. That was on a X58 mother board, with the Intel ICH10R SATA II chipset, running the IRST 10.8.0.1003 driver.

I have used more convenient firmware update tools, two that I have used performed the update in the Windows environment. But among firmware updates running from a boot drive or CD/DVD boot disk, the SanDisk was the best one I’ve ever used. Very professional and understandable, no need to change SATA modes or remove other drives from the PC, no odd behavior in the UI, all prompts and feedback was clear, it all worked perfectly. The automatic creation of a bootable USB drive is a great convenience. If you’ve never used other SSD manufactures firmware updates of this type, they are all not at this level of execution and stability. This is absolutely the best one of this type that I have ever used, I own SSDs from six manufactures.

Great job people, and thank you. SanDisk Extreme SSD owners: It’s difficult for me to see how anyone could not perform this update.

Hi, my SanDisk Extreme SSD is installed in a MacBook Pro as the Startup Disk.  How do I update its firmware without the toolkit?  I’ve tried installing the toolkit on Windows 7 and Windows XP using VMware Fusion but neither OS can detect my 240GB Extreme SSD.

Currently the update is only availabel for Windows PC. 

Hello,

Having some trouble with updating the firmare for the product. I created a bootable USB flash drive and was able to make it to the San Disk prompt. All I needed to do to commence the update was to hit “ENTER”, but the updater was not responsive to my keyboard. My keyboard works fine, I’m using it now. I can also use my keyboard in my BIOS just fine. Any ideas here to get this firmware update done? Thanks!

-V 

Okay, fixed it… turns out that I had to plug my keyboard directly into the mobo and not go through my case USB. Firmware has been installed. Yay!

When will the Linux FW installer be available?

Do you have a workaround for installing the FW on a Linux PC?

I created USB boot drive from SSD toolkits under bootcamp in Windows 7, but somehow my Macbook Pro didn’t show the drive as bootable…  

Please support MAC…

We are currently testing the upgrade ISO on MAC and Linux. Once testing is finished we will release a downloadable version of the ISO that can be burned to a CD and this will perform the upgrade. We should release this in the very near future. 

@iamsilvermember wrote:

I created USB boot drive from SSD toolkits under bootcamp in Windows 7, but somehow my Macbook Pro didn’t show the drive as bootable…  

Please support MAC…

I was able to create the update CD and use it on a MAC. Try creating the CD version instead of the USB. When you reboot the MAC you have to hold the “C” key to boot from CD.

This was on an intel based MAC. the Power PC MAC probably would not boot off the Boot CD created by the tool kit.  

If you want to use the USB you can try this and see if it will work.

You can also hold down on the “option/alt” key at startup. This will display an icon for each available bootable USB (or CD) and you can manually choose the one you want to use.

Hi, I just updated the firmware via the USB method.  It appeared that everything went as advertised, but when I rebooted the laptop (Windows 7 64-bit) I got the blue screen of death.  After that, windows won’t load at all.  The computer starts up, but then unexpectedly turns off after about 20-30 seconds.  This includes when I enter the BIOS as well (i.e. shuts down when I am in the BIOS).  I can’t boot using the Win 7 recovery CD either.  It will load and then say that Windows had an unexpected error.  Enter the recover mode.  When I try and do that, it starts to enter the recovery mode, but then the computer just shuts down.  Everything I try ends the same.  The laptop just shuts off after about 20 seconds.  Prior to the firmware update, I didn’t have any issues (except that the SSD would just stop responding for about 30 seconds at random times – I was hoping the firmware would fix this issue).

Thanks for any help!

Doesn’t work for me - I keep receiving the following error when I try to do the USB flash drive method:

Firmware ISO image for USB flash drive failed.

Thanks for update on Mac and Linux firmware package. Much appreciated.

Reading between the worshipful lines, the assumption then that this FW update is not a data destructive one, the year being 2012? Cheers…

@phoony wrote:

Doesn’t work for me - I keep receiving the following error when I try to do the USB flash drive method:

Firmware ISO image for USB flash drive failed.

Try burning the firmware to a CD and see if you can use that to update the firmware. If so post what the make and model of your computer is so the tech team can look into why the USB will not work for your system. 

@flyboy wrote:

Hi, I just updated the firmware via the USB method.  It appeared that everything went as advertised, but when I rebooted the laptop (Windows 7 64-bit) I got the blue screen of death.  After that, windows won’t load at all.  The computer starts up, but then unexpectedly turns off after about 20-30 seconds.  This includes when I enter the BIOS as well (i.e. shuts down when I am in the BIOS).  I can’t boot using the Win 7 recovery CD either.  It will load and then say that Windows had an unexpected error.  Enter the recover mode.  When I try and do that, it starts to enter the recovery mode, but then the computer just shuts down.  Everything I try ends the same.  The laptop just shuts off after about 20 seconds.  Prior to the firmware update, I didn’t have any issues (except that the SSD would just stop responding for about 30 seconds at random times – I was hoping the firmware would fix this issue).

Thanks for any help!

do you still have the harddrive that was in the computer before you upgraded to a PC? If so put that back in the computer and see if it will boot normally. you can also try disconnecting the SSD and try getting into the BIOS. if you still have the same issue with rebooting without the SSD attached some other hardware in the PC is probably causing the issue. 

Even if the Windows installation was messed up it should still boot from the recovery disk. Additionally it should not have a problem getting into the BIOS regardless of the windows installation  since it has not even loaded when you are in the BIOS. A reboot after 30 sec is usually heat related. Have you checked to make sure all your fans are working properly? 

Hi

Could you please immediately update or modify your sandisk toolkit so that

a- recognise sandisk extreme ssd’s in raid configuration? eg RAID 0

b- be able to update the firmware of the drives whilst in raid configuration

c- perhaps allow users to select which drive they have and hence most appropriate firmware too.

This will become a big issue especially with enthusiasts.

I currently have 2 extremes in RAID 0. No matter what I do your software does not recognise I have a sandisk extreme ssd (perhaps it looks at control panel info rather than read actual hardware firmware info?)  whereas other softwares eg crystaldiskinfo does recognise what I have.

Moving past this first major hurdle to updating the firmware is impossible but even if one looks for a direct approach its not possible. The firmware is not listed or hosted anywhere and since sandisk doesnt even recognise my 2 extreme ssds it wont let me have the appropriate firmware or be able to select what I have and download it manually and apply it directly.

Even if you were able to somehow miraculously go past both of those hurdles it still wont update drives in a Raid configuration.

PLEASE fix this asap and update your toolkit to allow for those options and perhaps offer direct downloads of the firmwares that customers know is appropriate.

And it should be able to do all of the above including update drives in Raid 0 configuration because drives from Western Digital and Seagate are all able to update the firmware of the drives even in raid configuration as it recognises how many is in the raid array and lets you choose which ones you would like to update. This includes their hybrid solutions such as momentus xt and ssd drives from other manufacturers eg OCZ.

Right now its a nightmare trying to update the firmware on the drives as the only option would be to install windows on another hard drive install toolkit and update EACH sandisk drive INDIVIDUALLY outside of a raid array when the solution is pretty simple and should be way easier to implement just like from other brands.

1 Like

Make a bootable usb drive with firmware ,Create an image ,delete the raid in bios ctrl-alt-delete the hit f8 while booting

select to boot from usb drive then update both drives, bootback to bios recreate the riadO reload your image.