Firmware update R201 released for SanDisk Extreme SSD

i cant update my firmware,

i used USB boot method ,booted from USB successfully ( got that prepare SSD loading bar  i DOS)

but when i got to the screen that asks me to select the SSD drive to update firmware i couldnt do anything  becuase my keyboard stop working on that screen ,

ps . i try diffent keyboards , and different USB ports but still doesnt  work ( i can use my Keyboard in my Bios just fine , they just stop working on the drive select screen)

help me pls!

@evangelionstar wrote:

Hi

Could you please immediately update or modify your sandisk toolkit so that

a- recognise sandisk extreme ssd’s in raid configuration? eg RAID 0

b- be able to update the firmware of the drives whilst in raid configuration

c- perhaps allow users to select which drive they have and hence most appropriate firmware too…

Right now its a nightmare trying to update the firmware on the drives as the only option would be to install windows on another hard drive install toolkit and update EACH sandisk drive INDIVIDUALLY outside of a raid array when the solution is pretty simple and should be way easier to implement just like from other brands.

There is no SSD firmware update from any manufacture that runs in RAID mode. But you still can do it if you are careful, as I have done this with another manufactures SSDs that I have in a RAID 0 array. It’s not difficult, but I can only say this works with Intel based PCs and their RAID software, as that is the only system I’ve performed this on.

You specified nothing about your PC hardware in your post. RAID capability ranges from that provided by Windows, to software based RAID (Intel and AMD), to separate RAID cards made by many manufactures. Updating the firmware update to accomodate even half of all those is a huge time consuming task, which won’t be happening any time soon due to the testing and validation required, if ever.

First create the bootable USB drive via the SanDisk toolbox, do not do that any other way. Insert the USB drive in your PC and reboot or start it. Be prepared to enter the BIOS/UEFI, and do so. If the firmware update system boots, start over.

Once in your BIOS/UEFI, change your SATA mode from RAID to AHCI. Doing that will NOT destroy your RAID volumes information when you restart the PC, or the information about your RAID array in in the RAID software. Once that change is made, save and exit to reboot, and allow the PC to boot into the firmware update system. During POST, you won’t see the Intel RAID Option ROM program running, which is normal. You should see the individual SanDisk SSDs listed, and perform the firmware updates. When finished follow the prompts to shutdown the PC.

Next restart the PC, and again be prepared to enter the BIOS/UEFI. Once there, change the SATA mode back to RAID, and save and exit to reboot. On this next boot you should see the Intel Option ROM program listing your RAID 0 volume as it always has. You need to enter the BIOS/UEFI one more time, to set the correct boot order to your RAID 0 array, since it has just now been re-established, and the boot order will likely not be correct, and still set to the USB drive. Correct the boot order if necessary, save and exit and reboot to the OS on your RAID 0 volume.

That’s all there is to it, although a backup of your OS volume would be good to have, if there is a problem, but I never had one. Even if you miss getting into the BIOS after setting the SATA mode to AHCI, when the PC tries to boot it will just fail or boot to the USB drive again, and nothing is damaged if that happens. Just remember where you are in the process and you’ll be fine.

This updater doesn’t work.

i downloaded the toolkit.  Clicked on firmware updater.  It found a firmware update, gave me the warning about backing up.  I clicked install.  It pops up with a window to select whether i want to burn a cd/dvd or use USB.  From there I can’t do anything.  If I select the CD/DVD option, I then have to put in an iSO file name.  What frickin file name should I be using?  I clickd on the browse button, and it takes me to my C drive.  I can’t find any ISO file anywhere.  I did a global search in windows for any ISO files, and I have none. 

If I select USB, i can’t even do anything.  The continue button is grayed out…it doesn’t even ask me for a file name or anything.

What kind of ■■■■ software is this??

Anyone know how to fix this?  My PC is having some lock up issues since getting this drive, and I want to update the Firmware to see if it fixes the problem before I try to figure out what else might be the cause.

Its not all that hard and it is explained in the help file. 

That said when creating the ISO for the CD name it anything you want the name is irrelevant. Use ISO.ISO if you want. Then choose the location you want to save it. Once it is saved you will need to burn the ISO image to a disk. 

As for the USB you have to have a USB drive connected to the computer and select it from the list. You do not name the USB drive it just creates it. 

Read up in this thread a little. Sorry you are havening trouble but this software is not hard to use and in fact is one of the simplest most user friendly upgrade processes that is available for any SSD on the market. 

I couldn’t get past loading the ramdisk in Lunix using a (SanDisk) USB flash drive. I burned a CD, hooked up the USB CD drive and it worked fine. Acer Aspire One D255E.

Hi there,

I’d like to run the ugprade on a fairly recent Mac. However, the boot from a CD created from the provided ISO image hangs at “loading bzImage…”. Any recommendations? I am using the hardwrk.com kit, so the DVD drive is in an external USB enclosure.

Cheers,

Wahnfried

I tried to do a firmware update via usb drive but it keeps failing. I have not installed an OS or formatted the drive yet, should that matter?

Tim

it sould not require OS or format. have you tried creating a CD instead?

So I cannot get my computer to boot from either USB or CD to update my firmware.  Both ways, I get stuck at kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0xd and it just stops.

HW:

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UP4P, Core i7-860, 8 GB RAM

I have tried to update the firmware a number of times and each time it fails which is incredibly frustration. I have tried via USB and CD with no luck on 5 different computers. The drive is brand new and straight out the box. I really hope I will not regret sending back the Samsung 830 for a Sandisk SSD.

Update failed

I made the USB bootable disk The PC boots correctly, it detects the SSD, I hit the return key to start the flash, but it immediately displays a failed message, I select Exit and here is the message displayed on the screen

I tried with a ISO on a CD, I tried on another PC, but always this Failed message.

So what 's wrong?

I have seen some cases where the firmware bianary  in the generated  linux file system  is 0 bytes. This is most likely caused by some issue downloading the firmware or perhaps a permission problem or an interfering antivirus.

Can you try downloading the CD ISO after disabeling your antivirus or from a different network to see if the issue persists? If it does post the ISO image so we can take a look at it. 

hi!

I get the same error message when I try to update it says update failed, I have used an iso file for the firmware update after burning on DVD. Any ideas? The toolkit doesnt work, it downloads the firmware file but asks afterwards to choose it again for burning where does it saves it?? tks rgds seb 

I have restarted from scrap on another pc with windows 7 without antivirus.

SSD toolkit redownloaded and made an ISO file and a bootable usb flash disk.

But that pc failed to boot on usb disk, on my other pc the boot was ok with the usb flash disk, but it failed again when it tried to flash the firmware.

you can download my  iso file here

I watched my AppData\Local\SanDisk Corporation\SSDTool folder during firmware download ans I saw this 441kB file

000003e9_22978_fw_cl_mlc_Sandisk_64Gb_SDTNPQAHEM_2Q_2C_1D_PP_R00937_s512.vic

Is it the right file, it’s written  _64Gb_ in the file name and I have a 120GB SSD?

thanks for help.

Can you give us a little more info about the hosts you are using? We will need the computer information (model, OS version, 32bit/64bit,etc), and the BIOS storage configuration mode (legacy, IDE,  AHCI, RAID, IRRT). The current toolkit doesn’t support RAID and IRRT mode.

mobo: Acer aspire X1700

chipset : nvidia 630i

sata mode : AHCI

also tried on a laptop HP dv9530 chipset PM965 & ICH8M probably in AHCI mode, win 7 pro x64 fr

I have the same config as a previous poster: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UP4P, Core i7-860, 8 GB RAM and I get the same error. I ran the program on my laptop without the SSD and it appears it would work, but having to rip the system apart and move it to another pc is a hassle.

Anybody have any success with the GA-P55A-UP4P motherboard?

I have am having an issue with creating the bootable media to apply the update, I do have a raid-0 config and I know that I can not apply the update while the 2 SSD’s are in the array.  I read above that I can simply change in the bios the drives from “Raid” to “AHCI” and boot to USB/CD to apply the update, I am hoping that works as described above.  My issue comes with creating the bootable USB from the SSD Toolkit download.  When I open the Toolkit it is empty, which is due to the raid array, but also there is no information in the “Firmware Updater” section it simply says “Sandisk SSD Only”.  How do I go about creating the update USB?

The raid array is an Intel hardware based array created from my motherboard.

Here is my system information if it is needed:

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120gig - x2

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

RAM: DDR3-1600 2 x 8gb

Please let me know if you need anymore information. 

if you are in RAID the toolkit will not see the drives therefore it will not allow you to create the update CD. There is a post sticked at the top of this board with a manual download for use on MAC. download the ISO and burn it as an image. you can use that to update your SSDs. There is a dissferent ISO for each capacity so make sure to download the correct one. 

I didnt even see the sticky, thank you very much for the response.  Now I just got to cross my fingers that changing the bios from raid to AHCI and back will not cause me to loose my data.  

You all at Sandisk have done a wonderful job with these SSD’s and even better job with the firmware updates.  I almost cant believe the drives dont loose the data when you do the firmware update, keep up the good work!!