Firmware Update History?

Where’s the official list of improvements / new features?

Was curious myself.

Here’s an unofficial list of things I’ve noticed:

1. Pressing power button now says “Sleep Mode”
  2. Videos … duh.
  3. Search and browse.
  4. Scrolling seems faster, both through menus and song lists.
  5. Not sure about battery life, haven’t had a chance to test it yet.
  6. AWESOME!
  1. Ability to connect to a network after the SSID is no longer broadcast (You must set up the Connect while SSID is being broadcast but once it’s set up, you can turn off SSID broadcast on the router and the Connect still sees the network!)

I agree, scrolling seems much faster now.  I think it is also doing a “prefetch” or “preconnect” when browsing through Launchcast stations.  I see a throbber in the upper left that I didn’t notice before the upgrade… though I could be crazy.

The released version number is:
     ZAP: 1.1.1.50371

New Features:

1) Video Support – The 1.1.1 release allows users to play MPEG4 video files on the device. Only videos converted using the Sansa Media Converter are supported. Get Sansa Media Converter at http://www.sandisk.com/driverdownload/index.asp

2) Artist Search in Get More Music – Users can now search the Yahoo! library for songs by artist’s name.

3) “Browse Music” feature added to Get More Music – Top Albums, Top Songs and Explore by Genre are the user selections available for browsing.

4) Ability to stream music in Get More Music – Users can now play from a stream, instead of having to download the music found.

5) Support for microSD and microSDHC cards up to 8GB. Ability to read and write to the microSD card via MTP.

6) WiFi – Captive Portal support at many public hotspots. This depends largely on the way the hotspot was setup by the Internet Service Provider used. Support for major hotspots include: AT&T, FON, Wayport and T-Mobile.

7) Support for hidden WiFi networks ( access points using the Hide SSID option)

8) Power saving enhancements in SLEEP mode. The Connect will transition to OFF after 72 hours in SLEEP mode or if the battery level drops below 5%.

9) All licenses for Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go subscription tracks will renew via WiFi connection - regardless of whether they were downloaded via WiFi or from Yahoo! Music Jukebox.

Message Edited by Greig on 11-07-2007 08:45 AM

Message Edited by Greig on 11-07-2007 10:11 AM

I’ve experimented with copying songs to my microSD card using Windows Explorer.  The songs show up on the Connect but displaying the filename instead of the song title.  Also, the Settings->Info->microSD screen doesn’t show a song count.  Other than that, it seems to work well and it’s great to be able to write to the card without having to pull it out of the player!

PromisedPlanet wrote:

I’ve experimented with copying songs to my microSD card using Windows Explorer.  The songs show up on the Connect but displaying the filename instead of the song title.  Also, the Settings->Info->microSD screen doesn’t show a song count.  Other than that, it seems to work well and it’s great to be able to write to the card without having to pull it out of the player!

Great observations.

I was able to verify that the Settings>Info>microSD doesn’t show the number of songs, pics or videos. SanDisk will review that.

Good thing the Total mem, Used mem and % free shows…

I did not find the problem with the Title information displaying the proper ID3 Tag info. I did 2 tests for this.

1) Edited song information using Yahoo! Music Jukebox. Changed the Track (Title) info in the file ID3. Copied to the expansion card. The Track info displayed as changed.

2) Changed the filename of INXS New Sensation to ‘copy new sensation.mp3’. Dragged and Dropped into expansion card Music folder. The Track info displayed New Sensation, not the altered filename.

Wow so my little Sansa can hold up to 12 Gigs Now … That is amazing

re Greig:

I’m not really sure what’s going on.  Winamp shows me that the title is correct in both the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.  (I don’t use Yahoo Music Jukebox.)

To test, I deleted the song from the microSD card, then renamed the copy of my song on disk, and copied it back to the microSD card.  It then showed up on my Sansa Connect with the different filename.

Also, when I play the song on my Connect, the artist and album names aren’t displayed, although they’re both in the MP3 tags, also.

For chucks, I took out the microSD card and put it into a MobileMate SD so I could look at it as a removable disk (in my case, “H:”).  I noticed that the song was located in folder “H:\mtp”.  This is strange, because when the card is mounted in the player, Windows Explorer doesn’t show this folder.  It shows Music, Photo, Playlists and Video under “My Computer\Sansa Connect\Expansion Card”.   As a removable disk, I only see “H:\mtp” and “H:\Music” (I previously had created the “Music” folder manually).  And under “My Computer\Sansa Connect\Expansion Card\Music”, I don’t see the song which was visible in H:\mtp.  There’s some kind of MTP mapping going on there that I don’t understand.

So now I did another test, where I used both Winamp and WMP11 to sync the problem song (Song1) and another song (Song2) to both the internal memory and the microSD card of the Connect.  Got the same results with both Winamp and WMP11:

1. Song1 synced to microSD card: tag info missing, as described above

2. Song1 synced to internal memory: OK

3. Song2 synced to microSD card and internal memory: both OK

Weird.

Final test: copying Song2 with Windows Explorer to “My Computer\Sansa Connect\Expansion Card\Music” - OK!

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 11-07-2007 02:04 PM

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 11-07-2007 02:04 PM

can you explain # 6 & 7

Thanks