I’ve been using the Sansa e250 for some months now and all has been fine. In fact, we liked it so much we just purchased an e280 (not Rhapsody). In order to use the new Sansa with my Altec Lansing speakers, I went online to update the firmware. Then I got a message that before updating the firmware, the Updater itself needed modifying.
Well, after going through the process, I encountered some strange behavior in my players. The computer (Windows XP) would not recognize the player when it connected (regardless of USB mode). So I read other postings in this helpful forum, learned about recovery mode, etc. After going into recovery mode, I tried the Updater and the message came that my firmware was up to date already (ver1.02.18). I read about how to go down to earlier firmware, but wondered if that meant it would no longer play on my speakers. (I also tried using both cables I had and switching SD cards – with no effect on the problem.)
I decided to take my 2.0gb SanDisk microSD out of its slot, and then connect. That worked and the computer recognized the player, but it meant I had no extra storage. So I reinserted the SD card and decided to turn on the player first, let the database refresh, and then connect the cable to the computer. That did it…but now I can see the music folder in internal memory only if I use the MTP mode. (In MSC mode I can see only the Photo, Record, & Video folders in internal memory.) So, by switching from one USB mode to the other before connecting and having the player already on, I can once again use all the storage.
I wonder if something happened when the Updater was modified (8/11/07), since the changes began then. Just wanted to share my experience in case it might help someone, or maybe there’s an explanation.