FAT corrupted, Mac OS not mounting device

I’ve got a Sansa Fuze that has become completely unusable. I turn it on and it gives a “Corrupted fat, please connect to PC” message that won’t go away no matter what I try. I connect it to my computer, but it doesn’t recognize or mount it. And if I can’t mount it, any attempts at trying to reformat it are futile.

I’ve tried the << and center button trick, and nothing changes. 

Please tell me there’s some further recourse, and this thing isn’t beyond hope of repair? Thanks. :slight_smile:

Bump… no clue? :frowning:

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:24 PM

I appreciate your response but I doubt it will make a difference whether it’s plugged into a Mac or PC. The player is set to operate in MSC mode by default, so if Mac OS doesn’t recognize it I doubt Windows would either. :frowning:

lufis wrote:
I appreciate your response but I doubt it will make a difference whether it’s plugged into a Mac or PC. The player is set to operate in MSC mode by default, so if Mac OS doesn’t recognize it I doubt Windows would either. :frowning:

Actually it does. The PC has the ability to fix the Fat in a way that the mac cant. If you use the force MSC method on a PC and then run the CHKDSK utility to fix the FAT, you may get it working again. 

Chkdsk may be able to fix the filesystem, but not if the player isn’t even recognized when it’s connected.

I booted into Windows via bootcamp and it doesn’t even show up, even when forcing MSC. It seems like the firmware freezes as soon as the error screen comes up, otherwise I’d be able to just format it from the device itself. The device becomes unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is to hold the power slider up.

I really don’t know what to do at this point. What do you do to reformat it when it doesn’t even register itself as a USB device?

lufis wrote:

Chkdsk may be able to fix the filesystem, but not if the player isn’t even recognized when it’s connected.

I booted into Windows via bootcamp and it doesn’t even show up, even when forcing MSC. It seems like the firmware freezes as soon as the error screen comes up, otherwise I’d be able to just format it from the device itself. The device becomes unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is to hold the power slider up.

I really don’t know what to do at this point. What do you do to reformat it when it doesn’t even register itself as a USB device?

Try a Windows PC. Ive tried it with bootcamp on my macbook and it doesnt work but on my PC it does. If this is not possible then call tech support they may have a trick we dont know. 

I had this exact problem with my clip 2, and managed to sort it out just by plugging it into a PC and formating it.

Well, I’m sad to say it but even on a Windows computer it isn’t working.

I forced MSC mode on my friend’s Dell (Windows XP) and nothing showed up. 

Is it safe to assume this is a lost cause?

Call Tech Support. You may have a larger problem than merely corrupted FAT. The folks at Tech Support may be able to help you.