Extremely slow loading

Recently my Sansa fuze has started loading extremely slowly. to change left and right from Artist > Album > songs etc. selections. takes close to 6 seconds. i am not using a sd card of any type in it just the machine. not sure what has caused this any help?

Mine is doing that too, only it takes so long that it either freezes up completely or won’t do anything. Would appreciate any help.

Try throwing it at a brick wall with all  your might.

First, why don’t you try connecting you Fuze+ to your computer in MSC mode. Then, download/install Puriform’s “Defraggler” program, and use it to defrag you whole mp3 player. That might speed things up. If not, try making sure that all of your mp3’s are encoded with “ISO 8859-1” tags. To make sure they are, download Mp3Tag, and set it to “ISO 8859-1”, and retag all of your mp3’s. I would love to give you a step-by-step process, but I’m using an unreliable internet connection, and could get disconnected any minute.

@halonachos117 wrote:

First, why don’t you try connecting you Fuze+ to your computer in MSC mode. Then, download/install Puriform’s “Defraggler” program, and use it to defrag you whole mp3 player.

Whoa! :dizzy_face:

Defragging a flash-based memory system does more harm than good, and should NEVER be done! It can cut the life-span of the drive in half! Defragging only helps physical spinning hard drives. It will not ‘speed up’ a sluggish flash-based mp3 player. The SanDisk developers are going to have to sort this one out.

Tapeworm, as you can see from some of the comments to that article, there’s anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

@roman2 wrote:

Tapeworm, as you can see from some of the comments to that article, there’s anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Apparently, the person that wrote that article is not alone in his opinion .

tape is right. no need to defrag flash. all it does is create unneeded write/erase cycles on the memory. the controller of the flash actually moves the files where it is most convenient anyway during the write operation, (this is called were leveling) so defrag essentially does nothing for the flash.  

@tapeworm wrote:

Apparently, the person that wrote that article is not alone in his opinion .

Often wrong ideas are shared by many people.

@tapeworm wrote:

@halonachos117 wrote:

First, why don’t you try connecting you Fuze+ to your computer in MSC mode. Then, download/install Puriform’s “Defraggler” program, and use it to defrag you whole mp3 player.

Defragging a flash-based memory system does more harm than good, and should NEVER be done! It can cut the life-span of the drive in half! Defragging only helps physical spinning hard drives. It will not ‘speed up’ a sluggish flash-based mp3 player. The SanDisk developers are going to have to sort this one out.

“Whoa!”, Indeed! Thanks for the info, you may have saved several years of life on my device, and many others by warning me/us of this! I take my defrag comment back! Based on what I have read, better safe than sorry!

@tapeworm wrote:

@halonachos117 wrote:

“Whoa!”, Indeed! Thanks for the info, Tapeworm! You may have saved several years of life on my device, and many other devices by warning me/us of this! I take my defrag comment back! Based on what I have read, better safe than sorry!

Anyway, rather than argue about this, lets get back to the original issue… Extremely slow loading. You could also try forcing a database refresh by deleting all of the *.idx and *.dat files which are found in the root directory (Assuming that you are in MSC mode, and have the “show hidden files” option enabled). That MIGHT help. Or, you could try reformatting the device, too (after backing everyting up), and then re-load your data, and see if that helps. Also, might I add that a scandisk couldn’t hurt, either (again, assuming that you are in MSC mode).

@halonachos117 wrote:

Anyway, rather than argue about this, lets get back to the original issue… Extremely slow loading.

Indeed . . . slow-loading and screen refreshing on the Fuze+ is a known issue. SanDisk is working on the problem as we speak (or more succinctly, type). For now, all one can do to minimize the problem is make sure their ID3 tags are in order (proper format and no extraneous, or foreign information that could slow things down).