External drive creates folders and files, and loses music I've synced to it.

I’ve been struggling with my 8GB Clip+, which is doing the same thing my former 4GB Clip+ did. It creates SID files and embeds them within album folders. It renames folders with about 8 or 9 characters (alpha and numeric) at the beginning of the file name, and some of the music I download doesn’t exist when I disconnect the player and it refreshes. It does this to MP3 AND WMA files, whether I use Media Player or Windows Explorer.

I loaded all of my WMA files on the internal drive (which works absolutely fine), loaded ONLY MP3s on the external drive, and got the same result. The external drive has been reformatted, so there are no remnants of anything to mess things up. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mine started doing that a bit ago too, but there was never any issues with playing the files on my Sansa 4g C+ until just yesterday it stopped reading the SD card altogether after I added some files and removed the .sid files. It hangs on “Refreshing Your Media” So just giving you a head’s-up if yours starts to do the same thing. I would suggest just rolling with the .sid files for now until someone can figure out why its doing that

Sounds like you using MTP (or worse, Auto Defect) mode. Unless you’re using Rhapsody or some other DRM-crippled files, I suggest you format the player (clearing the memory), switching the player to MSC mode and re-loading.

So after spending the better part of my Sunday with my 8GB Clip+ and its 8GB external disc, I found that the problems mentioned previously go away if you switch USB mode to MSC. I was then able to transfer MP3 and WMA files using Windows Media Player or Windows Explorer. I even had Explorer open and dragged and dropped the files into Media Player’s sync window. Very Cool!! Also, when I tried to copy somethin it already had, it said the file was already transferred. Amazing! In the past, it would keep recording the same thing.

Although I have to say that one WMA file problem persists: Some of the music files were not identified correctly and didn’t “stick” to the albums they were from. But a search of the individual songs revealed that they were still there, even if the Sansa couldnt’ identify the album they belonged to.

I hope this helps others out. In the end, my advice is: If you have an external drive, switch the USB mode to MSC, and you will not have any major problems - just some minor, annoying ones.

And thanks to the two of you who responded to my initial post. Yes, the player was set on Auto Detect mode - not good.

@catanaero wrote:

Although I have to say that one WMA file problem persists: Some of the music files were not identified correctly and didn’t “stick” to the albums they were from. But a search of the individual songs revealed that they were still there, even if the Sansa couldnt’ identify the album they belonged to.

 

Unless you go to Folder Mode (bottom of the Music menu), your player does not display the folder/file info. Rather it gets the data from the ID3 tags embedded in the audio fles themselves. If you edit the tags on these that don’t show up correctly, your problems will be solved. :smiley:

Great! I’ll try that if it gets too annoying. So far, I’ve only two albums that were messed up and they were from very old CDs I ripped.

You can use ID3 tag editing software, such as the often-recommended Internet freeware MP3Tag, to edit and fix the tags in the files for the CDs you ripped.  Easy and fast to use.