Experience with 8GB MicroSDHC?

@mr_moose wrote:

In your other post you wrote that you used a 6gB card to do your testing. Were you able to use the full capacity of the 6gB card?

It looks like you have spent quite a bit of time doing this. Thanks for sharing the results of your efforts.

haha…I’m a perfectionist, so I like to get everything to work perfectly (even though that seems to be impossible with the Express).  I also have 2 Express players to play around with, cuz I got one for my gf too when I bought mine.  So I’m just sharing my experiences so that hopefully others won’t have the same problems.

Anyway, the 6GB MicroSDHC card does the same thing as the 8GB card - it still will only recognize up to 4GB of music, even though the player does see the full capacity of the card.  Both are SanDisk brand.  If I try to sync with WMP11 with the card in the Express, it will only sync up to 4GB, then it will show sync error for the rest of the songs.  If I just copy all the music directly onto the card, then the Express just won’t recognize the card.  I did try formatting it several times using the Express as gengar mentioned in his post, but it still did not work.

Another thing to note is that the Express will take longer to start up with the more songs you add to the MicroSD card, and there will be some lag using the “Music” menu because the lists are much larger.  I’ve noticed that by putting files under a “Music” directory, and then “Artist”, and then “Album” results in the fastest load times:

Music

@mr_moose wrote:

In your other post you wrote that you used a 6gB card to do your testing. Were you able to use the full capacity of the 6gB card?

It looks like you have spent quite a bit of time doing this. Thanks for sharing the results of your efforts.

haha…I’m a perfectionist, so I like to get everything to work perfectly (even though that seems to be impossible with the Express).  I also have 2 Express players to play around with, cuz I got one for my gf too when I bought mine.  So I’m just sharing my experiences so that hopefully others won’t have the same problems.

Anyway, the 6GB MicroSDHC card does the same thing as the 8GB card - it still will only recognize up to 4GB of music, even though the player does see the full capacity of the card.  Both are SanDisk brand.  If I try to sync with WMP11 with the card in the Express, it will only sync up to 4GB, then it will show sync error for the rest of the songs.  If I just copy all the music directly onto the card, then the Express just won’t recognize the card.  I did try formatting it several times using the Express as gengar mentioned in his post, but it still did not work.

Another thing to note is that the Express will take longer to start up with the more songs you add to the MicroSD card, and there will be some lag using the “Music” menu because the lists are much larger.  I’ve noticed that by putting files under a “Music” directory, and then “Artist”, and then “Album” results in the fastest load times:

Music

@mr_moose wrote:

So I think a 4GB card might be the most compatible with the Express.  The reason I went with a 6GB on my second try was 1) to see if it might work better than the 8GB, and 2) because the 6GB and 8GB cards have a speed rating of Class 4, while the 4GB card is only a Class 2.  I don’t know if the speed difference will actually matter when using the Express, but I still felt like getting the Class 4 just in case.

Message Edited by WiLz on 04-11-2008 12:01 PM

@mr_moose wrote:

So I think a 4GB card might be the most compatible with the Express.  The reason I went with a 6GB on my second try was 1) to see if it might work better than the 8GB, and 2) because the 6GB and 8GB cards have a speed rating of Class 4, while the 4GB card is only a Class 2.  I don’t know if the speed difference will actually matter when using the Express, but I still felt like getting the Class 4 just in case.

@wilz wrote:

…So I think a 4GB card might be the most compatible with the Express…

Thanks for the info.

I guess it is time to place my order for a couple of 4gB cards. 

So, I recently started using my Express with a computer that had WMP11 on it (I’d previously been using WMP10). I didn’t reformat my Express or anything; just started using it with the new computer. The first sync went fine, but after the second sync, my Express bricked until it magically started working the next day. After that point it would only play the music I sync’d that time; if I tried to sync more music, it would either give me errors while sync’ing, or if it said sync was complete, the music just didn’t show up. I don’t know if this has to do with WMP11 or just the fact that, at the time, half my music had been uploaded while in MTP mode and the other half (or so) in MSC.

Anyway, following that I formatted the internal and external drives via the Express, and while the internal was immediately recognized by WMP11, the external drive was not - even after repeated formats. I had to format my 8GB SDHC in Windows through my USB adapter before it was recognized by the Express. And ever since then, WMP has only recognized my player capacity as 8GB total. I have no idea if this is 2GB internally and 6GB externally, or just 8GB externally. I have tried reformatting the external drive both in windows and in the Express but have not been able to obtain any different result. The most I can get to show up in WMP11 is 8GB.

At this point I am simply fed up with the Express. It was working just fine with 10GB total capacity in mass storage mode but could not do playlists. So I had to switch to MTP to do playlists and then after having a near-brick experience with WMP11, I’ve had to reload all my music from scratch and now only 8GB is recognized.

I guess I have to continue on my journey to find an ultracompact mp3 player that has high capacity and doesn’t have that fruit logo on it. I wish someone would just make one that is durable, reliable, and functional. I don’t care how much it costs, I really don’t. I’d rather pay $200 for one that works rather than $50 for something like this that has so many quirks and is so finicky and just creates hassles for the end user.

Message Edited by gengar on 04-25-2008 02:44 PM

@gengar wrote:

Anyway, following that I formatted the internal and external drives via the Express, and while the internal was immediately recognized by WMP11, the external drive was not - even after repeated formats. I had to format my 8GB SDHC in Windows through my USB adapter before it was recognized by the Express. And ever since then, WMP has only recognized my player capacity as 8GB total. I have no idea if this is 2GB internally and 6GB externally, or just 8GB externally. I have tried reformatting the external drive both in windows and in the Express but have not been able to obtain any different result. The most I can get to show up in WMP11 is 8GB.

Hm…that’s interesting.  So your WMP shows your Express’s Internal and External memory as one device?  Cuz when I connect my Express to WMP11, it shows up as 2 devices, one device says “Sansa Express - Internal Memory” and one device says “Sansa Express - Expansion Card”.  And both devices show their individual capacities, not a combined capacity.

My experience with a 8GB sandisk card:

Short version: I can get only 4GB of data (music or something else) on the card.

Long version: I tried many things. Including creating 2 partition on the card (2x4Gb), one of which is not seen by the express. Still, if the first one is full of music, and i put 2GB of data (not even music) on the second one… the express just format the first partition (what it does if there is only one partition with more than 4GB on it). I don’t understand why, i thought my trick was good, ie, i could have a 4GB usb key on top of my 2+4GB of music player. I will wait for a firmware fix…

Hi there!

I purchased an Sandisk MicroSDHC 8gb card for my sansa express.  I had similar issues but after reformatting the card several times either with my sansa express or my computer, I have only been able to get about 5.5 gb of music onto the card.  So in a way, I guess I broke the 4gb wall and came close to hitting the 6gb wall.  So here it goes, how did I get that extra 1.5 gb?

Well I used my computer (I have windows xp pro) and a SDHC card reader to format the card.  Then I transfered 6.61 gb of music onto the card using the SDHC card reader.  After it was done transferring I safely removed it from my computer took the microSDHC card out and put it in my sansa express card reader slot.  When I turned it on, I went to the system information section and could see that it was reading at least 5 gb of music 

I transferred long dance mixes, so 5.5gb is about 47 tracks for me.  I was able to listen to all 47 tracks.

Hope this is helpful.  If anyone can crack the 5.5gb wall, please post.