Earbud Question

I know there are a lot of threads concerning earbuds.  I liked the earbuds that came with the Fuze, but one channel shorted out.  I bought Sentry earbuds, but the cover came off one while on a trip.  I bought Philips, but they didn’t have much bass, I had to crank them up more than in the past.  So I bought a pair of Skull Candy.  They are treble heavy and weak in base.  My fuse is set to High volume and I use the Custom EQ.  I find the others just don’t give me the treble/bass response I am looking for.  I was going to buy Vmode buds because I read had really good response on both frequency ranges, but that they had a problem with shorting out.  I also know personal preference plays a big part in rating earbuds or headphones in general.  

Question: Do you have to get some “play hours” on the buds to break them in, in order to get the full frequency range they are capable of?    

Message Edited by bragl123 on 09-05-2009 12:31 PM

“I know there are a lot of threads concerning earbuds. I liked the earbuds that came with the Fuze, but one channel shorted out. I bought Sentry earbuds, but the cover came off one while on a trip. I bought Philips, but they didn’t have much bass, I had to crank them up more than in the past. So I bought a pair of Skull Candy”

You should have read the earphone threads for recommended budget earbuds. if so, you wouldn’t have bought those. Headphones and earphones do need a breaking in period. First let then play  for a while at a slightly low volume, then for a while at a medium volume, then for a while at a slightly high volume that is still listenable(don’t blast them). Some of the Vmoda earphones are okay. I wouldn’t choose those. A popular budget choice is the Sennheiser CX300(these isolate though, so they are not good for use where you need to hear what is going on around you). I personally like the older Sennheiser MX400 or MX500 earbuds. Some places still have them. The Sennheiser MX560 is also popular. Some people like the JVC Marshmallows and JVC Air Pillow earbuds.

The reviews I read on the Skukcandy buds were mixed.  I know you get what you pay for, so I shouldn’t expect much from bud’s under $25. I use the Custom EQ settings and listen mostly to Jazz.  Noise canceling would be great, but I don’t want the additional control pod usually found on them.  If I moved up to the $60 or so range, they would have to have the straight plug and well made.  They would also have to be pretty good in all ranges and designed as such that I wouldn’t have to crank the Fuze to max to enjoy them.  I don’t mind hearing some outside sound, but would rather it be minimal.  Thanks for your input on breaking them in.  Hopefully that will help.        

The earphones I mentioned in my previous post are  under $30. Some are under $18. You could also read this thread http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8404

Thanks. I’ll try your suggestion.