e280 music not syncing

My e280 when connected to my PC (win7) shows any organizing to be completed within the PC(moving songs from one folder to another). But the player itself when disconnected shows nothing I have done. Also some songs show to have been sync (WMP, mtp mode) but never show on the player

Any solutions?

Message Edited by jmclaren on 07-26-2010 11:42 AM

As a followup question, would I be better off using the msc mode and clicking and dragging to the e280?

One more followup. How do I reformat in MSC mode? MTP is done through WMP. I wouldnt think MSC would be too.

Message Edited by jmclaren on 07-26-2010 11:41 AM

jmclaren wrote:

My e280 when connected to my PC (win7) shows any organizing to be completed within the PC(moving songs from one folder to another). But the player itself when disconnected shows nothing I have done. Also some songs show to have been sync (WMP, mtp mode) but never show on the player

That’s becuase your Sansa player does note read folders/files, but rather the ID3 tags embedded within the file. A related issue, if you have any tracks you cannot fins, look for an ‘Unknown’ category. This is where you’re likely to find tracks containing bad (or wrong format) ID3 tags.

jmclaren wrote:

As a followup question, would I be better off using the msc mode and clicking and dragging to the e280?

In my opinion, yes. But there are others here who would disagree.

jmclaren wrote:

One more followup. How do I reformat in MSC mode? MTP is done through WMP. I wouldnt think MSC would be too.

No, it’s not. If it’s a v2 model, you’ll have an on-board Format function in Settings > System Settings. If it’s a v1, you’ll need to do it in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the player’s (not the card slot) icon and selecting Format…

Don’t use the Quick format option.

jmclaren wrote:

That's because your Sansa player does note read folders/files, but rather the ID3 tags embedded within the file. A related issue, if you have any tracks you cannot find, look for an 'Unknown' category. This is where you're likely to find tracks containing bad (or wrong format) ID3 tags.

jmclaren wrote:

In my opinion, yes. But there are others here who would disagree.

jmclaren wrote:

No, it's not. If it's a v2 model, you'll have an on-board Format function in Settings > System Settings. If it's a v1, you'll need to do it in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the player's (not the card slot) icon and selecting Format...

Don't use the Quick format option.

Thanks for the reply. Another question. Why do some songs go to the unknown folder rather than to the same folder as songs by the same artist?

What makes some songs come up as bad tracks? It’s hit or miss. I download,say, 8 songs bythe same artist from the same source. 7 will work 1 won’t.

I reformatted in MSC mode. But songs on my player are still there. Songs that should not be. ???

I did not use quick format.

Message Edited by jmclaren on 07-26-2010 05:11 PM

jmclaren wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Another question. Why do some songs go to the unknown folder rather than to the same folder as songs by the same artist?

What makes some songs come up as bad tracks? It’s hit or miss. I download,say, 8 songs bythe same artist from the same source. 7 will work 1 won’t.

I reformatted in MSC mode. But songs on my player are still there. Songs that should not be. ???

As I said, if the player cannot read the ID3 tag, it will categorize that track as ‘Unknown’. There are many things that can prevent it from reading the tag. Sansa players are very particular about this. A great dedicated (and free) tag editor that is recommended by 4 out of 5 Sansa Gurus here on the forum (and others) is MP3TAG. The most trouble-free format is ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. You can set this format as the default in the Tools option under Write. In addition to setting the tags to the correct format, you should also check the validity of all the other fields. You don’t want to see any strange or foreign characters and delete anything (or use the <blank> setting) in the Comments field. I’ve seen everything from website addresses in downloaded songs to full-blown written reviews in this field, even in those ripped from CD’s. Your e280 doesn’t like all this extraneous information so get rid of it.

Files can get corrupted during the download process, or depending on the source be unreliable in the 1st place. Where are you getting your music from?

If you’ve formatted correctly, there will be no files (except firmware) left in the memory. How did you do it? If your lists on the player are still populated, you may need to delete the database file and let the player completely build a new one to clear it out. When you say the songs are still there, what are you basing that on; do they still play or are just the artists, albums, tracks, etc. just listed but don’t play when you select them?

The v1 & v2 models have different database files. Let us know which model you have and we can tell you how to delete it.

When I formatted that should have completely emptied my player. So I loaded some back in. When I checked them the old songs that WERE NOT loaded were still on the player

Ill tell ya its making me think seriously on a Ipod