E260 version?

No, but there are tons of different themes you can put on it to enhance your “Rockbox interface experience”, from very basic & simple to very data-packed extravagant. :stuck_out_tongue:

@mustash7 wrote:

Installed Rockbox. Kinda neat program but the interface sux.

I was just wondering if you knew if just the code to break the SDHC barrier could be loaded without the rest of the program.

No, but there are tons of different themes you can put on it to enhance your “Rockbox interface experience”, from very basic & simple to very data-packed extravagant.

@mustash7 wrote:

Hello,

Bought an e260 used and am unsure as to the version. The FAQ’s on the main site were less that illuminating. I’m looking forward

to enjoying this clunker.

Here is the version.txt file that was ont the thing.

A little help would be lovely!

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF -05.51-S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.11-S3 01.01.11A -D ODM Ver.: S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D OEM Ver.: S301.01.11A-D Build Type: -D Build Date: 2006.07.14 Build Number: (Build 169.31)      

The highlighted sections show that you have a v1 device, note the processor ID: PP5022, a PortalPlayer device.  Those leading 3’s can be misleading in this file.

A v2 device identifies itself with a different “splash screen” when powered up, the SanDisk logo appears with a reflection below, and a blue sansa  logo appears shortly afterwards.  The original v1 has the original SanDisk logo with sunburst to the right.

The e260 you have is a real gem, a very tough machine.  If you have purchased a 16GB (or any size SDHC above 2GB) microSD card, fear not!  As Saratoga will attest, adding Rockbox makes for a very versatile v1, supports microSDHC, and as a base system, the original firmware works well too.  Look for version .18 or .24, both work very well.

The reason you had a problem loading the version 03 file is twofold- first, it’s alien to the v1, a bin ary file that the player won’t accept, and the loading method is different.

Holding the << button down during connection is used with the later v2 devices, with a different processor.  One very important feature of the v1 machine is Recovery Mode, where the device’s reserved partition is accessed for recovery and firmware installation.

Here is the page for your latest v1 firmware.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks!

You guys are being very patient with this old newb.

It looks like the themes are either sacleable or the menus are just bigger which is a relief as I have a lot of trouble seeing them.

I’m pretty sure that the install was successful but I haven’t found any way to import trax already loaded and access them on via Rock. Am I missing something?

I looked at the theme link that Bob posted andit looks they will work with the only available build (3.91)

That’s one of the nice things about the e200; a nice big screen. But you can change the size of the fonts too; Rockbox is nothing if not customizable.

You don’t have to import or transfer tracks to Rockbox. It is simply alternative firmware that basically “sits beside” the OF (original firmware) and your player can dual-boot; that is boot into either at your choice.

Have you read the Rockbox manual? That should explain a lot about how you work it and how it works. I’d suggest downloading the .pdf version and keep it handy. There’s a little bit of a learning curve, and you’ll find yourself wanting to refer to it often until you get familiar with it.

As far as the themes listed as working with the current build, why would this be an issue? What build did you install?

I see that Rockbox is customizable and I have downloaded the manual.

I guess I just didn’t read all 230+ pages and really understand them. Like you said, It’s a learning curve.

A couple of days ago I went to Rockbox & found an opening screen with images and versions of players. I’m pretty sure I dl’ed the current ver. I tried to verify but was unable to looking at the below txt file.

Target: sansae200 Target id: 23 Target define: -DSANSA_E200 Memory: 32 CPU: arm Manufacturer: sandisk Version: 1a083cd-120203 Binary: rockbox.mi4 Binary size: 643072 Actual size: 642536 RAM usage: 1105312 Features: backlight_brightness:button_light:crossfade:dircache:flash_storage:hold_button:hotkey:lcd_bitmap:lcd_non-mono:lcd_color:lcd_invert:lcd_sleep:morse_input:pitchscreen:multivolume:multidrive_usb:quickscreen:radio:recording:recording_swcodec:recording_mic:rtc:swcodec:tagcache:tc_ramcache:charging:wheel_acceleration:large_plugin_buffer:ab_repeat_buttons:albumart:backlight_fade_bool:lcd_flip:scrollwheel:usb_power:usbstack:usb_hid:usb_hid_mouse gcc: arm-elf-eabi-gcc (GCC) 4.4.4 ld: GNU ar (GNU Binutils) 2.20.1.20100303 Host gcc: gcc (GCC) 4.4.4 20100630 (Red Hat 4.4.4-10) Host system: Linux

I also ran the Rockbox bootloader. Got no error messages, could boot into the Sansa firmware and all seemed well with the world.

Except:

• The menu was dreary and in mouseprint that I could not read
  • I couldn’t find my tracks anywhere on Rockbox

It seems that Rockbox would be able to access the files already on the device. Am I wrong or just dense?

Am I missing something or is there some glitch in the install?

Some of the themes that I saw were really impressive w/ album are and other data! Some were kinda pedestrian.

It’s easiest just to use the Rockbox Installation Utility. It basically does everything for you.

The default Rockbox theme is a bit confusing and has very small text. I believe the first time you use Rockbox, you have to build the database. Maybe this is why you can’t find any of your music. Consult the manual; yes it’s long but you can read and learn what you need to as you need to learn it. You don’t have to know or comprehend everything all at once.

The link I provided in my previous post was for the manual for your particular player.

If you’ve added your tracks in MTP mode, they’re renamed and hidden in some directory. I think they’ll still appear in the database, but its probably easier to just readd them as normal files in MSC mode or rockbox USB mode so that they don’t have screwy names.

I will try to answer you both and again thanks for your patience!

I am not at all new to things digital. What’s more I almost never have average problems.

Any tech support is almost useless and I usually resort to the really knowledgeable people, to wit, users like yourselves.

Having said that I have gone over the manual again and saw darn little that addresses this problem

Maybe I have  blown install or I neglected something during the install.

DB=0

Files=0

Playlist=0

Rebuild doesn’t

Saratoga mentioned reloading my files. Not a prob.

Since the manual doesn’t address this do I need to load files (songs) from the Sansa interface?

Should I delete what’s there and reload?

An I making sense?

Thanks again for your patience. I guess we all know that solving a problem phpBB communication is an arduous and frustrating process

Well I mixed it up a little. I added trax in both MTP & MSC. None were visible. I deleted all of them added some from the Sansa interface in MSC.

Rebooted and still nothing.

Re connected Disconnected & fiddled around with that

Nothing except an incomplete install message in Rockbox.

DL’d the Rockbox util. went through the install. By that time I was crosseyed n& think I used the 200c version in the util.

Switched to 200e Util said install was successful. Still saw nothing in Rockbox

Ran the uninstall through util which indicated success.

All the Rockbox folders were still on the device.

I deleted them and must have taken out one from the Sansa firmware.

ALL the tracks even the ones I had deleted via the USB connection were still visible in the Sansa interface. None would play though and I’m getting BAD TRACK error messages!

The device is frozen on BAD TRACK.

You’re not going to believe this. Somehow my multimedia sound got muted on my desktop in a very weird way.

It said it was muted but there was no checkbox to even select/deselect for the mute…Huh? I finally moved the (virtual) slider which was in its customary position & the sound came back on my Desktop. This was AFTER checking the configuration settings and finding them all nominal.

A couple of days ago this happened & I thought it was a coincidence even though it occurred during a Rockbox install. Not the case.

This morning I tried to play a file that I got in Outlook. Clicking on it caused the Rockbox util to pop. It downloaded into THAT AND THEN PLAYED THROUGH MY SPEAKERS!

So now I have a bricked e260 that so far won’t react to anything, is not being recognized by my desktop and is stuck on “bad track” Won’t shut off.

I’ll hit the Rockbox site and see if there’s anything I can do but please don’t hesitate to advise guys.

Thanks.

Success At Last!

Well I ended up ripping the whole thing out by the roots.

I re-DL’ed the Rockbox util. reinstalled picked a theme and loaded some trax and its sounding good.

Its hard to believe that so much went so wrong. Lawdie! Even got a BSOD dismounting the e260 in the usual way.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make the text of the menus readable (to me).

I’m sure its ITFM

Thanks again Guys!

Change your theme to one that uses a larger font.

I have but havent noticed any effect on the Rockbox menus…I’m talking database etc.