Deleting songs off of Sansa m240?

I am totally lost on how to delete songs off of my sansa m240 version 3. 2. 8A. If this is possible could someone please tell me how to delete songs?

you wont be able to erase the songs from the MP3 player itself…

plug the mp3 player to the computer and then browse for the songs you want to delete.

after you were able to find them, you can just delete them in explorer. 

Do you do this from the media player? And won’t that delete the songs from my pc? I’ve been reading stuff for 2 days, trying to figure this out.

I don’t use Media Player. I add and delete songs and folders using Windows Explorer (XP).

Its a pain in the rear. I had the same question. If u have media player just set everything up like you are about to sync some music. You are supposed to be able to just delete the files that pop-up on that list that shows what is on your mp3 player. That’s how you remove songs. If it won’t allow you to delete songs on the actual list on the computer you have to actually go into “my computer” pull up the mp3 player drive, open it and delete files that way.

I’ve done all the music still remains on my mp3 player. That’s the mystery. I’m just about to come to the conclusion that it’s impossible. I might try that explorer thing somebody told you about.

I do it in XP Pro’s Explorer. The thing is you have to have the USB Mode set to MSC , not MTP. Once in MSC mode, Explorer treats the m2xx just like any device that has read/write privileges. You can add/delete files and directories, rename them, etc. You can even copy them to a different device (e.g. HD). But I for one will not be using my m250 like a flash drive for the simple reason that they are not as resilient as HDs. They have flash memory and the life expectancy is diminished by virtue of writing new files, etc. to the memory to a greater extent than with a hard drive. So, I will only do that when it furthers my usage of the device as a music player. I won’t be using it for recording, either because I have a couple of iRiver H1xx devices that do a far better job of recording and have hard drives instead of flash memory.

Message Edited by Muse on 07-16-2008 03:35 PM

Message Edited by Muse on 07-16-2008 03:37 PM

Invisible,

I had the same problem. I deleted everthing in my player by formating the device. Not sure if that’s what you want to do, but that’s what i wanted to do. Simply go to the drive for the mp3 player in “my computer”. Then right click on it and the menu will pop up. choose “Format”. Then fillin the box that says quick format. Then click okay. It will warn you that everything is going to be deleted, and if that’s what you want just continue and it will do it in seconds.

We are trying the same thing. We deleted the album in Media Player, but it’s still on the MP3. Then we tried to delete the album from my computer, but the album is not there. Any ideas on how to delete an album without deleting ALL the music?

I don’t use Media Player or any other utility with my m250s. I use have USB mode set to MSC and use Windows Explorer. I started using the freeware MP3Tag utility to edit tags. I don’t use Artist or Title, only Album, which is sufficient for me. In MP3Tag, I can select every song in a directory and do a batch edit on any tag field. I just use the Album field, like I say. So if it were me, I could delete the Album tag on every file in a directory on either my HD or the m250 in one simple operation. IHTH.

@muse wrote:
I do it in XP Pro’s Explorer. The thing is you have to have the USB Mode set to MSC , not MTP. Once in MSC mode, Explorer treats the m2xx just like any device that has read/write privileges. You can add/delete files and directories, rename them, etc. You can even copy them to a different device (e.g. HD). But I for one will not be using my m250 like a flash drive for the simple reason that they are not as resilient as HDs. They have flash memory and the life expectancy is diminished by virtue of writing new files, etc. to the memory to a greater extent than with a hard drive. So, I will only do that when it furthers my usage of the device as a music player. I won’t be using it for recording, either because I have a couple of iRiver H1xx devices that do a far better job of recording and have hard drives instead of flash memory.
Message Edited by Muse on 07-16-2008 03:35 PM

Message Edited by Muse on 07-16-2008 03:37 PM

Hi All.

Muse please enlighten me… USB modes can be set? I have been looking for a referance to MSC or MTP USB modes in the OS (XP Pro) Help Index, Microsofts Knowledge Base, and good ole Google for the past hour now. I have only seen one referance to it outside of this thread thus far… On the LCD display of my m240 as it acknowledges a USB connection to my PC, it highlights “MTP”… I am about to start losing hair here LOL (I don’t wanna be bald!) So please educate me…

StarBaseONE2

Lost out on the fringes of the Kosmic Koast… 

MTP and MSC as far as I know are not involved with operating systems, so I don’t think you will find anything about it in XP Help. I don’t know where Sandisk gets that, and maybe it’s their own system. I don’t know much about it other than what I’ve said. MSC works for using Windows Explorer nicely because in Explorer it interacts with the m240 and m250 as though it were a HD or a flash drive.

To see what USB settings you have or to change them, press the left button on top, the same one you use to turn the player on/off, which will give you access to the menus. Then scroll down to Settings and press the round button to select it. Then scroll down to USB and select that. Scroll down to MSC (if you want to select that), and select it. Then when you connect your m240 to your computer with the USB cable and open a Windows Explorer window, you should be able to write files, change file names, delete files, create directories, even copy these things from your m240 to your HD if you want to do that. Like I say, I don’t copy files from my m250’s to my HD as a rule because I want to minimize my usage of the player’s memory while maximizing my usage of it as a music player. What I do regularly is delete things on the player to make room for other things (i.e. music). If you have other questions, post them and I’ll try to help. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Message Edited by Muse on 08-04-2008 01:43 PM

For easy to follow steps for most of the basic functions of the m200 series MP3 players, please click on the following link:

http://www.tnni.net/~walterjmoore/m250/index.htm

Take the option Copying Songs from the SanDisk Sansa m200 Series to your PC if you want to save your songs to the PC, then the option to Format your m200 will erase all songs on the device.  Note that you should format in both MSC and MTP mode.  To erase individual songs, you must use Windows Explorer and access the device in the mode they were placed on it, MTP and/or MSC.

MTP and MSC are industry standard protocols. Most MP3 players only support one or the other.  MSC is Machine Storage Class and lets you use the device as a flash drive or copy songs directly to the device using other than Windows XP.

MTP is Music Transfer Protocol and is designed to work only with Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10 (might work with others). It allows syncing and playlists. See the above link for using playlists on the m200.

Thanks so much. Been at this for half the AM searching a few forums and the ONLY thing that worked was reformatting the Sansa player as you suggested. My sister had sent one to the kids & they’ve outgrown the music. I haven’t had to touch the player since we got it about a year ago, but had to do it today. Without your suggestion, I probably would have gone nuts with this. I’ll keep this trick up my sleeve if it refuses to erase files again.