Cruzer Glide 64gb works fine on Windows 7 but not on XP

I have a Cruzer Glide 64GB flash drive. It works fine if I plug it into a computer running Windows 7. But when I try to use it on a computer running Windows XP, I receive an error message telling me “The disk in drive X is not formated. Do you want to format now?”

I have tried the device on three computers running XP with the same result. I have tried it on two computers running Windows 7 and they both worked fine.

I have used flash drives on the XP machines with capacities up to 16GB without problems.

Is this a driver issue or is there something about XP that will not access larger flash drives.

is there something about XP that will not access larger flash drives.”

hmmmm  An interesting question.  But if the flash drives are FAT32 I don’t see why XP wouldn’t support it.  A BIOS limitation maybe?  Does XP’s Disk Management see the drives?

BTW According to this link XP can see large flash drives.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q314463 

But it can’t format them as FAT32…

There is currently around 9GB of data on the drive.

On the XP computer, disk management shows the drive as healty with 59.62GB and 100% free space. The file system is blank.

On a Win 7 computer, disk management shows the drive as healty with 59.62GB and 84% free space. The file system is ExFAT.

The access error that I mentioned occurs when attempting read or write to the drive.

Apparently someone reformated the drive.  XP doesn’t have support for ExFAT.  There is a Windows patch that adds it though.  I don’t remember it’s name/number, you will have to do a seach of the 'net for it’s URL.

Thank you for the information. I found the patch and it resolved my problem. For any others with a similar problem here is the link: 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19364

Thanks for the link!  That XP patch worked for me, too.

I did have to uninstall the driver for the Cruzer drive, also.

One odd thing-- it now appears as two separate drives-- a regular “removable storage” drive that has 59GB of memory, and one “Secure Digital Storage Device” that has 1.83GB of memory.

Does anyone know how to “combine” the two?

I suspect you have a file on the Glide that is a secure/encrypted file that invokes the Secure Digital driver.  Do you see that in other pcs also?