Copied files to sansa on compute using WIN 7....cannot see on Win2000 computer?

I put an old cd’s songs onto my sansa and they play fine on the sansa. When I use the menu I can see them.

When I go inot my computer on my Win2000 computer I do not see them listed. The size of space used indicates they are there, but i just cannot see them.

They were in mp3 format. I have checked unhide folders.

Thanks

Are you using a manual USB connection mode or the infamous Auto Defect? If using Auto, it could be connecting in one mode (MTP or MSC) on the Win 7 machine and the other on the 2000 version.

Files loaded in one mode cannot be seen or accessed on your computer while the player is connected in the other mode. Play around with your USB settings and see if you can find them.

For the above reason, some people–myself included–avoid the Auto USB setting (which will try to connect via MTP mode but then fall back to MSC mode, if necessary–meaning that you don’t easily know in what mode files were transferred to the Clip) like the plague, and instead will set USB mode to either MSC (which can work the easiest) or MTP (which can be more problematic at times, but which is needed for DRM’ed files). 

The problem lies with the WIndows 2000 operating system.  This OS does not natively support Windows Media Player 10 , which has MTP capabilities, or Media Transfer Protocol.

With Windows 7, you have the latest WiMP version 12.  Files transferred to your Clip in this mode cannot be seen (from the Win 2000 computer) because the player will only display files transferred in one of the two modes at a time, depending upon teh currently selected USB mode.  The Windows 7 machine transferred your music in MTP mode, and the player automatically switched to MSC mode on the Windows 2000 machine.

This is what Auto Detect is designed to do: make a connection in MTP, and if it’s not avaliable, the player switches to MSC, where the player is accessible like any flash drive.

Hey, I’ll bet we can fix that.  You need the MTP Porting Kit from Microsoft. Though the page states Win XP / Vista, the Kit was designed to support legacy operating systems, notably Win98/se and 2000. Update your Windows Media Player to the WiMP 9 version, I believe that’s the highest the OS will support.

If you cannot get MTP working, you can manually select MSC mode, and do everything in this mode.  You will have a few things to handle manually, like playlists, and the device cannot handle protected media (DRM) in this mode, but if you have no protected media, it’s a viable option.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The easiest:  just use USB MSC mode (unless you use DRM’ed files, in which case you have no choice but to use MTP mode).

I am not sure of what exactly to do here. I downloaded Win Media 9. I did not find anyhing  called WIMP.  When the interface was brought up I was unable to browse and find the Sansa which was plugged in at the time.

I use winamp when I play music and I can browse to find the Sansa which is plugged in.

I switched the settings on the Sansa from MTP to MSC but the computer woudl only recognize the player in one mode.

Thanks

RollingRollings wrote:

I am not sure of what exactly to do here. I downloaded Win Media 9. I did not find anyhing  called WIMP. 

WiMP = Windows Media Player

@tapeworm wrote:

@rollingrollings wrote:

I am not sure of what exactly to do here. I downloaded Win Media 9. I did not find anyhing  called WIMP. 

WiMP = Windows Media Player

I didn’t see whether you own a clip or a clip+.  The clip+ needs Windows Media Player 10 or above.  Not sure if the original clip will work with WMP 9.