Comical failure: SanDisk SDSSDP-064G SSD loses all data at power off, but shows 100% health

Let me make clear from the start: there’s no urgency in getting this drive to work. It’s a 10+ year old SSD, probably one of SanDisk’s first generation, which I pulled from a crappy old netbook and was using to breathe life into another old laptop. After discovering this quirky failure I’ve pulled it and have it hooked up as a 3rd physical drive in a desktop for testing.

The drive shows up in WD Dashboard with 100% health. I’ve done SMART tests, both short and long, which show no problems. I can format the drive, copy a video file over and it seems to play from the drive just fine.

If I reboot the system, the data is unaffected.

If I shutdown the system, even for a few seconds, on reboot the drive is gone. I can go into disk management, select MBR or GPT for the MFT, format NTFS or exFAT (tried both), copy a video file over and again it plays fine, only for it all to disappear again on shutdown.

Out of curiosity I disabled write caching to see if that might solve things, but no effect.

Firmware version is the latest according to WD Dashboard at 3.1. I do wonder if downgrading to an older firmware version might fix this, but I can’t find any firmware files anywhere.

If anyone has any other thoughts, or can provide an explanation as to what’s probably happening here, I’m certainly curious.

Hi @ktop ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:

Does WD support SanDisk devices which are well out of warranty? I don’t even see any SanDisk SSDs on their discontinued products page.

It appears to be the same problem this user had: SDSSDP-064G data dissapearing