Clip+ Won't Turn On Anymore...details

My Clip+ had an issue a few weeks ago where it wouldn’t power on. I charged it for hours and gave up.  Next day it turned on an worked fine. Until today. 

Now it won’t turn on again. 

I tried holding the power button down 10, 30 60 seconds at a time then pressing on.  Nothing. 

I charged it about 6 hours today and the battery meter says it is charged.

My computer will connect with it. 

I can view and even play songs from the sanza disk.

I tried the lates Firmware update.  The clip+ screen says “writing”, then back to “Connected”.

When I unplug it from the computer it goes blank and stays blank.

I tried formatting the drive, then updating the firmware again.

It always acts like it is updated but still no power on disconnect.

Not sure what else to search for on the forum.

Any suggestions? 

By the way, the update is not taking.  Probably because it won’t turn on to complete the process.

Through Windows (XP) I can see it still has v01.02.09A

Sounds like a job for SanDisk Tech Support and possibly an RMA.

Yep.  SanDisk has no suggestions not already tried.  They are sending a UPS label for a return. 

I enjoy that thing so much I’m heading to Best Buy to get another one right now. I have a marathon to run Sunday and can’t wait for the return process.  From the sounds of the issues these having a spare is a good idea, eh?

Never thought I would buy an extended warranty but will ask this time.

damonquader

Or, instead of buying an extended warranty, you could charge the purchase on a credit card that doubles the manufacturer’s warranty, which will get the warranty up to 2 years in the U.S.  A great deal with a card.

That is true with the credit card.  But how much time do you have to spend on the phone or online to utilize it?

I was told by Best Buy I could do a walk in exchange if I buy the warranty.  Of course a lot of people thought that when they bought warranties through Circuit City too.

I just went through the process with my credit card company’s warranty company on a small item, and it was pretty painless:  a quick call to the warranty company, email receipt of the form to fill out, return of the completed form along with a copy of my original credit card statement showing the original purchase and of a copy of the receipt for the replacement item (I mailed it back; they also accepted it by fax), a phone call from the company saying that they were mailing a reimbursement check (4 business days for their processing and approval of my claim, and to mail the check), and then receipt of the check by mail.  All told, about 2 weeks.

Nicely, I didn’t have to wait to replace the item (and actually, I needed the replacment item receipt, to send to the warranty company for reimbursement); and the warranty company told me to do what I wanted with the original, defective item.

In the end, a nice benefit to keep in mind!

Good to know.  Thanks for the input.  I also broke my clip+'s clip off the back while talking to SanDisk Customer Service.  He asked for the product code under the clip “just lift it up and read the numbers”…crack. 

The product code is so small I couldn’t read it with a flashlight and my glasses on. I took a digital photo and enlarged it.

Clip+ and broken clip shipping back today via SanDisk’s UPS label.

damonquader

@damonquader wrote:

Good to know.  Thanks for the input.  I also broke my clip+'s clip off the back while talking to SanDisk Customer Service.  He asked for the product code under the clip “just lift it up and read the numbers”…crack. 

The product code is so small I couldn’t read it with a flashlight and my glasses on. I took a digital photo and enlarged it.

Clip+ and broken clip shipping back today via SanDisk’s UPS label.

damonquader

That really ticked me off, when I saw the size of  the print of the serial number. When will manufactures realize that not everybody can read such a small print?  I never fully registered my Clip+ because I couldn’t decipher the text.  Next time…if I can’t read the serial number information on the product, I will refuse to purchase it.  Live and learn.

damonquader wrote:

Now, that is frustrating!  Fortunately, you already were returning it …

I got a spare clip in case my fuze has a problem. I think it’s better than an extended warrenty, you can just utilize the manufactor warrenty on two of them. You will have something without driving to the store. If you really like to listen to music this is of utmost importance. And you still get off cheaper than one ipod.

No spare clip is available for the Clip+, as the clip is molded on. 

Miikerman wrote:
No spare clip is available for the Clip+, as the clip is molded on. 

I think he meant he bought a Clip [player] as a back-up for his Fuze.

:wink: