Clip + 8gb player - music disappeared???

The battery ran out last night so I recharged it and when it came back to life I only had 4 different artists and their songs (about 100 songs) left on my device. I previously had about 20 to 25 artists and their songs on the clip. I wiped the remaining artists off the clip to start over and now the memory should be wide open right? Wrong…the memory show that I still have 4.9 gb used and only 2.4gb left. Please help me here, what is going on, there are no artists under artists., there are no songs under songs, etc. 1) where did all the songs go in the first place (maybe 700 or 800 songs)? 2) why does my device still show 4.9gb used? 3) if these other artists (other than the 4 that I deleted this morning) are not showing up where have the gone? (because the clip still shows that I have 4.9gb used does that mean they are still somewhere on the player? Please help me to figure out the answers to these questions. Thanks so much for your input.

Make things simple. If you want to clear all the songs off the player, then format the player using the player’s menu(settings, format). If you don’t use protected files then set the USB mode on the player to msc(settings, usb mode, msc). Next copy the music to the player using windows explorer. Copy and paste or drag and drop the music to the player. Synching the player can cause  unexpected results

and imo should be avoided.

Does this also apply to my Raphsody “To Go”. I download all my subscription music from there. Thanks

Big4biz1 wrote:
Does this also apply to my Raphsody “To Go”. I download all my subscription music from there. Thanks

No, you have to use MTP mode with subscription services like this. You can format like JK suggested, but you’ll have to re-authorize your player with Rhapsody and re-download everything.

For those who use Rhapsody to Go, after formatting the player, set the USB mode on the player to MTP.

The worst thing is to have the player’s usb mode set to autodetect, because then sometimes it may connect via mtp and sometimes via msc, which is what causes the problem you are experiencing. Imo Sandisk should get rid of autodetect, and have the default setting as MSC.