Cleaning the Screen of Smudges

This isn’t exactly a problem, but a minor inconvenience. How can I clean the screen of smudges without making more?

I mean sometimes I see a smudge that is indistinguisable from a dent in the screen (which sends me into panic mode). I clean it off with that black cloth holder that came in the package (which I also use as my screen protector as i’d rather have smudges from that that from dirt from the outside), and realize it was just a smudge, but by cleaning off that smudge, I in turn create a bigger smudge. 

Are there any (non-retail plasma/lcd screen cleaner) options for cleaning my Fuze’s screen?

I use the same formula (very sparingly) that I use to clean my vinyl LP’s prior to restoration.  I too use a screen protector, so I am not too worried about damaging the fuze’s screen.  I’ve never used it on the screen directly; so use at your own risk, if you decide to do that.

This formula, concocted by an engineer/chemist/scientist/inventor friend of mine…that uses fairly common household products.  I use it for tons of gentle cleaning jobs.  Recipe follows:

Craig’s Record Cleaner Formulation

Absolutely No Patents Pending

This forumlation is based on the Discwasher patent, assuming that all ingredients have the same density as Distilled Water which is a pretty reasonable assumption.

(For Cleaning Vinyl Records)

All of these ingredients can be purchased from a supermarket.

Ingredients:

1. One Gallon of Steam Iron Water (consists of Distilled Water)

2. 70 % Isopropyl Alcohol (Part of our Emulsifier)

3. Automatic Diswasher Cleaning Liquid {Like “Cascade Complete” brand - - - be sure that you DO NOT use the type that includes chlorine bleach as an ingredient} (Part of our Surfacant)

4. Antibacterial Liquid Hand Soap such as “Softsoap” (Our Antimicrobe agent and another part of our Surfacant)

5. Small amount of Prestone anti-freeze or equivalent (This is the other part of our Emulsifier)*

*Note: Prestone Antifreeze consists of the following and is toxic to humans and pets:

• Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1)
  • Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6)

Recipe: (produces 1 gallon of Record Cleaning Fluid)

1. Remove 1/2 of a cup of water from the Gallon of Distilled Water and discard down the drain. This water is not used. All of the following ingredients are added to the remaining distilled water in the 1 gallon container via a funnel.

2. Add 3 Teaspoons of Prestone Anti-Freeze to the Water.

3. Add 4 Teaspoons of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to the concoction.

4. Add 5 Teaspoons of Automatic Diswasher Liquid to the concoction.

5. Add 5 Teaspoons of Liquid Antibacterial Soap to the concoction.

6. Put the cap back on the Water bottle.

7. Stir thoroughly for 5 minutes.

8. Let it settle for one hour.

9. Stir Again.

10 Done

Note: Store at temperatures between 35 to 100 degrees F. Keep bottlecap on tightly when not in use.

WARNING:

THIS FORMULATION IS MADE FROM INGREDIENTS THAT ARE TOXIC TO HUMANS AND PETS. BE CAREFUL IN HANDLING THESE INGREDIENTS BY AVOIDING SKIN CONTACT AND KEEP ALL OF THEM OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. DO NOT DRINK THIS SOLUTION OR ANY OF ITS CONSTITUENT COMPONENTS.

I offer no guarantees as to the effectiveness of this formulation in its stated application. The user assumes all liability associated with its use.

Or just get a smudge-proof screen protector. I  was shocked about how well mine works, and its just a cheap one off of Ebay.

Ebay is my friend =]. I got a screen LDC protecter, with a cloth, and fuze cover[3 choices]. I also got a armband and clipon with it. all for 10$ and less I think. It was a while back. My screen is clear minus the few scartches  i had before i got my protecter. trust me, its soemtimes worth the money. Sorry for my bad grammar and englishh. my computer is very laggy today and everything i type happens like a hour after which annoys me.

Instead of building something that sounds like I need my sister (Who is a Chemist) to help me concoct, try a mircofiber rag, worked great for me.

I am known by my friends as very frugal.  I don’t like spending money if another alternative will work for little or no cost; but that’s me.  I have found that no screen protector is completely smudge-free, so I opted to use a leftover screen protector from my previous DMP.  I always have all the ingredients for my friend’s cleaning concoction on hand, so it was a no-brainer for me use it to keep the screen protector in pristine shape.  The added benefit to the concoction is that I find that the screen on the fuze resists smudges after an application.

Really? I do know that if you handle antifreeze and dont wash your hands(eating food, playing music with sansa) that it is possible to eat the antifreeze thru your touching if the residue left on the screen, thats why it restist smudges, antifreeze contain a fine grade of oil, that is used to lubricate the waterpump…

For a music lover, you sure are misguided.

I would say to clean the screen with a simple mix 2 table spoons of vineger to 1 quart of water. No Chemical residue. Safe non toxic. If you don’t like plain use apple cider vineger, smells better…

Then after cleaning with a soft clean cloth, get a screen protector, Wal-Mart sell a 5 pack of cut to fit sizes for 5 bucks…

@creamywet67 wrote:

Really? I do know that if you handle antifreeze and dont wash your hands(eating food, playing music with sansa) that it is possible to eat the antifreeze thru your touching if the residue left on the screen, thats why it restist smudges, antifreeze contain a fine grade of oil, that is used to lubricate the waterpump…

For a music lover, you sure are misguided.

I would say to clean the screen with a simple mix 2 table spoons of vineger to 1 quart of water. No Chemical residue. Safe non toxic. If you don’t like plain use apple cider vineger, smells better…

Then after cleaning with a soft clean cloth, get a screen protector, Wal-Mart sell a 5 pack of cut to fit sizes for 5 bucks…

LOL…A chemist you’re not.  The minute concentrations of toxic materials left in the solution after mixing it with distilled water make my friend’s concoction pretty safe… And I don’t go around licking my screen after I clean it…:smileyvery-happy: Whatever…

$5 for 5 screen protectors???  Too rich for my blood.  I got a 10 pack for $1.

Everyone has a different method in arriving at a similar goal.  Your method works for you, but my method works for me.  Each individual has to find out what works best for them…

Excuse me… I’m getting a little thirsty.  I’m going to have a little anti-freeze on the rocks*…:stuck_out_tongue:  Cheers…

* For those who take every single word written in an open forum completely and utterly seriously; this is a tongue and cheek joke.  I don’t recommend or condone the drinking of anti-freeze…

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 01-28-2009 03:22 AM

fuze_owner-GB wrote: 

Excuse me… I’m getting a little thirsty.  I’m going to have a little anti-freeze on the rocks*…:stuck_out_tongue:  Cheers…

My friends claim I am addicted to brake fluid… but I can stop any time I want.

@hazza wrote:

fuze_owner-GB wrote: 

My friends claim I am addicted to brake fluid… but I can stop any time I want.

You too???  :smileyvery-happy: