Charging Sansa Fuze in foreign country?

I just got a 8GB Sansa Fuze a week ago and am loving it so far.  I am planning on travelling in Europe (Germany, Switzerland) and the UK for 3 1/2 weeks very soon.  I plan on making sure that it is fully charged before I leave.   Is it safe to charge the Fuze through a computer USB in a foreign country since the electric currents will be different?  I sure don’t want to kill it!

Also, what is the best way to charge the Fuze?  Should I wait until the battery reaches a certain level before charging it?

Does the battery develop a “memory” if you charge it too soon? 

@dlynn99 wrote:

I just got a 8GB Sansa Fuze a week ago and am loving it so far.  I am planning on travelling in Europe (Germany, Switzerland) and the UK for 3 1/2 weeks very soon.  I plan on making sure that it is fully charged before I leave.    Is it safe to charge the Fuze through a computer USB in a foreign country since the electric currents will be different?  I sure don’t want to kill it!

Also, what is the best way to charge the Fuze?  Should I wait until the battery reaches a certain level before charging it?

Does the battery develop a “memory” if you charge it too soon?  

Yes, it’s safe to charge from any USB port in the world. No matter what the input voltage to the PC is, the USB ports are always 5V.

And the battery is “memory”-free, but it’s best not to let it discharge completely before recharging.

The only voltage you need to check is if the power brick for your computer is capable of handling 220.  I haven’t seen a laptop in years that didn’t have a dual voltage power supply…they’re very rare if they exist at all.  As long as the computer is stable, then the voltage on USB isn’t going to matter, as the power supply to the computer is going to convert AC to the proper DC for the mobo and what not.   If you try to charge with one of those AC - USB wall adapters, you need to make sure it’s 220 compatible as well.

Almost all the various chargers with transformers (bricks, wall-warts) have sensing capability.  It’s automatic; no need to think.

Just to be sure, check the printing/label on the brick or wall-wart.  It should say both 120 v and 220 v (or something similar).

Also, there are neat little auxiliary batteries to charge USB devices.  They contain a lithium ion battery and get charged themselves by normal plugging in to AC power, adn then, in turn, can charge a USB device via USB cord.  Work pretty well.

Here’s two.

APC:   http://www.amazon.com/APC-UPB10-Universal-Battery-10WH/dp/B000GBN42E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228402178&sr=1-3

and another, McNally:  http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Compact-External-Lithium-Ion-Battery/dp/B000O2YOII/ref=pd_cp_e_2?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GBN42E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06490CJNCDE2T0M6DGN1

I have the McNally.  Seems fine.  Will charge a Fuze ALMOST 100% from dead.  I.e.; if you start with a dead Fuze battery, it’ll get you uyp to about 80% charge.  Good for airline travel, outback/hiking/third world situations.