Charging Sansa Clip + Question (With mini USB charger of mobile phone)

Thank you very much Saratoga & Miikerman

This is good news to me.  Once again Miikerman your knowledge serves me well:smiley:

Enjoy the charger and player!   :slight_smile:

Hey, I understand the sansa clip+ wants around 5V and nothing more, but what about something around 3.5V?

Could you please help me out, cause I have 2 mini usb travel chargers, and I’m not exactly sure wich one to use.

the first one

5.3V ~ 650mA,

and the other one

3.5V ~ 450mA.

Thanks a lot.

@alextrl wrote:

Hey, I understand the sansa clip+ wants around 5V and nothing more, but what about something around 3.5V?

Could you please help me out, cause I have 2 mini usb travel chargers, and I’m not exactly sure wich one to use.

the first one

5.3V ~ 650mA,

and the other one

3.5V ~ 450mA.

Thanks a lot.

If it were me, I’d use the 1st one.

And if it were me, I’d buy a 5V one–too inexpensive not to, and to avoid the risk otherwise …

@miikerman wrote:

And if it were me, I’d buy a 5V one–too inexpensive not to, and to avoid the risk otherwise …

Well of course, there’s always that option too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello Sansa experts,

Back with a question about using a charger.

I have experienced weird things charging my Clip+ with my charger: when I check at the charging info it says 89%  or 93% or around and when I check a couple hours later it went down to 63% or 71% or around.  I did not care about the figures, but every time, my Clip+ played about 2 to 6 hours …

so, is there a minimum or maximum time I should let the charger and Clip+ plugged in order to get the 10 hours play I expect??

Please help me again!:dizzy_face:

The player will charge until its fully charged, so just charge it before you want to use it until you want to use it.

WoW

I’m confused by so many details.

So … do I plug the thing overnight, 3 hours or what???

How long should it take (approximately) to get fully charged if “info” says power is 30%?

You can leave it charging overnight if you wish–it will not overcharge.

Time to a full charge from empty is around 3 hours. 

THANK YOU for being grounded.:robotvery-happy:I am not in my philosophical mood these days!

I was not safe to leave it charging on a long period of time, imagine overnight …

Now that I know there is no worry, it’ll do the charging while I do the sleeping!

Once again, you make my day (and my nights) Miikerman.

Thank you very much

:slight_smile: The Clip. like many (most?) players nowadays, has overcharge protection circuitry, to prevent issue.

Having said that, I’m still supersticious enough with electronics such as this to unplug them when not being charged or used (avoiding  damage if there’s an electrical surge in the house electricity, for example)–I think that’s good practice (along with using surge protectors with electronics).

:smileyvery-happy: Rest assured, I will charge overnight only when necessary, because I share your superstition with electronics…

that’s why I was always checking the “info” waiting for the 100% that would not come quickly enough for the scared me :dizzy_face:

With the sun being more & more active creating those electronic-devices-threatening storms, I won’t take any chances–even if I always use surge protectors, they have their limits.

Thanks again!

I have a charger from a Garmin GPS that says…

Input: 10~30 VDC / max 1A

output: 4.9~5.2 VDC / 1A (1000 mA obviously GO METRIC)

Fuse Type: 1.0A / 250V(UL)

From this thread I’ve learned that even though USB usually sends out 0.5A it’s OK to use a 1A charger

BUT

What’s with the 4.9~5.2VDC

Are most chargers like this? Just AROUND 5V but not EXACTLY 5V?

I don’t want to fry my Clip+.

is it ok if i charged my sansa clip+ with my handphone charger with the following output:
5.0VDC 850mA? 

I have read the previous replies that 500mA above is ok, but 850mA seems to be kinda far from 500mA, so i wonder if its ok to use it? 

850mA is fine as well, as are even higher ratings. The ratings for chargers really only tell you the maximum current (amperage) output. It’s not a fixed level. Due to Ohm’s Law (current=voltage/resistance), the actual current drawn is determined by the device being charged. So if the device only draws 500mA, that’s all the charger will output.

The truly critical value is voltage. That is fixed, and too much (and maybe even too little) can damage your device.

Thank you very much sir!! Really appreciate your reply :slight_smile: