Charging from different electronics

hey guys,

just wonderin if you guys have been able to charge your sansa fuze players via the usb connections to your playstation 2’s front USB ports or X-Box series USB Ports?? Only thing about me charging it on my PS2 USB ports is that i have to take any game disc out and the run and charge it that way. It will not charge if a game disc is in there in the console at all.  i can do it with mine but thing is that the system will run and still charge the battery on my fuze.

@sixpapavictor wrote:

hey guys,

just wonderin if you guys have been able to charge your sansa fuze players via the usb connections to your playstation 2’s front USB ports or X-Box series USB Ports?? Only thing about me charging it on my PS2 USB ports is that i have to take any game disc out and the run and charge it that way. It will not charge if a game disc is in there in the console at all.  i can do it with mine but thing is that the system will run and still charge the battery on my fuze.

I never even thought about that. I didn’t even remember that a PS2 had USB ports…I just got down on the floor, sure enough, it does. And it appears to work. Both of my players display the “connected” message and receive charge.I can do it with a game disc in and running.

I had heard of people using XBOX ports before, but I don’t have one. If I’d known this, I wouldn’t have ordered a USB wall plug off Amazon the other day…but that one was inexpensive, so I’ll hang onto it.

Edit: I put the Google to use, and established that the USB port on the PS2 is a USB 1.1. So it may well be a slower charge than we’re used to off our computers or wall units.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 08-28-2009 07:18 PM

It won’t hurt to try.  If the little lightening bolt comes on and the battery charge indicator is moving then your good to go.  All USB ports are 5 volt on the B+ line.  However, the Fuze requires 2.5V on pins 2 & 3.  Some USB ports have that and some do not.  The Griffin USB wall chargers have it.  Some on ebay do not.

hey marvin,

what USB setting does the fuze have to be in . in order to charge while my game disc is in my console??? bc when i tried it while the game was in it. and i connected it , it would not charge so i dont know if I need to take mine out of automatic detect or not. and i was also wonderin if you guys know about the other two charging modes are? what are the differences other than automatic setting.

thanks, sixpapavictor

People have done this. I havent myself, but I know some who have. I believe that with the X-Box you need to be in MTP mode but I am not sure. Thing to remember is that those ports may not put out as much power as traditional ports so it may take longer to charge.

i use the ps2 slim series via the front USB ports on it and the situation im in is that the computer im currently on right now has the slow 1.1 USB ports  and it wont even detect on this computer at all to charge it so im just usin my ps2 to charge my fuze. ive had my fuze just about a year now and im still lovin it.

@sixpapavictor wrote:

hey marvin,

what USB setting does the fuze have to be in . in order to charge while my game disc is in my console??? bc when i tried it while the game was in it. and i connected it , it would not charge so i dont know if I need to take mine out of automatic detect or not. and i was also wonderin if you guys know about the other two charging modes are? what are the differences other than automatic setting.

thanks, sixpapavictor

My Sansas have always been in MSC mode.