Can't Install Media Converter

I downloaded the Sansa updater and installed it. That worked fine.

I tried to download and install the newest version of Media Converter. It’s a 106.9 MB file that ends in 256. I can’t get it to install. The whole file downloads. It starts installing for about 10 seconds, then an error window pops up that says the executable file is corrupt and I need to obtain a new copy. When I run Sansa updater again, the media converter isn’t in the list of available updates. I had to un-install Sansa Updater and re-install it to be able to download Media Converter again. I did that process 3 times and had the same error message pop up. That made 4 tries installing Media Converter.

The problem PC is running Windows XP Media Center with all the latest updates from Microsoft.

I have Windows XP Pro on my work PC. I was able to download, install, and use Media Converter without a problem

Can someone tell me why I can’t get Media Converter to install on my home PC with XP Media Center?

I have an 8 GB Sansa Fuze and just bought a 4 GB Fuze for my wife. She has some short .avi video clips she wants to put on her Fuze, but they won’t play when dragged and dropped into the Fuze directly.

Thanks!   

Message Edited by MinimaxMan on 12-01-2009 11:07 AM

It doesn’t look like anyone has an answer for me. I did the “live chat” wth Sansa twice. The first time, they told me to dowload and install a “winrar” file extractor program. I tried that but it didn’t help. The second time, they told me to try downloading and installing on a different PC. If it works, then there is something wrong with my PC.

It did download and install on my work PC with Windows XP Pro. My home PC has XP Media Center and the program won’t install. I haven’t had any problems installing other software, only Sansa Media Converter.

Sorry, I got nothin’, It would seem to be an issue with the Media Center as that appears to be the only difference between go & no-go, but I could be way off-base.

Give it some more time; someone may come along with some help or suggestions. In the meantime, have you used the Search function here, maybe using ‘Media Center’ as keywords? The answer could be buried here, deep within the bowels of the forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

Tapeworm wrote:

Sorry, I got nothin’, It would seem to be an issue with the Media Center as that appears to be the only difference between go & no-go, but I could be way off-base.

Give it some more time; someone may come along with some help or suggestions. In the meantime, have you used the Search function here, maybe using ‘Media Center’ as keywords? The answer could be buried here, deep within the bowels of the forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

Im with Tape on this one. I went as far as to borrow a friends laptop with Media Center and did the download and it worked just fine. My thought initially was that something in Media Center was stopping the install to prevent conflicts, but if that were the case it would happen to everybody. So that leads me to one other thought which is… Could your anti-virus, spyware or malware protection be stopping it? Try updating your virus definitions on those softwares and see if that helps. If not I am at a loss as well.

You might try the ‘latest & greatest’ Sansa Updater just released today.

The Known Issues also mentions proxy configurations and firewaal settings that could affect communications with the server. :wink:

You might try the ‘latest & greatest’ Sansa Updater just released today.

The Known Issues also mentions proxy configurations and firewall settings that could affect communications with the server. :wink:

I just installed Sansa Updater v. 1.211

Now I only get  "Sansa Updater is currently checking for updates. Please Wait…

The 4 leaf clover-like Sansa logo is rotating below, but nothing happens. I left it like that for 5 minutes. I tried twice with my Fuze connected, then once after pulling out the Fuze cable. Same results either way. It never finishes and tells me that there are or aren’t any updates available.

This was on my Windows XP Pro work PC that let me install and use Media Converter.

I haven’t tried 1.211 yet on my home XP Media Center PC.

An update on not being able to install Sansa Media Converter.

I tried to download and run the “Malicious Software Removal Tool” from Microsoft. I got a similar message saying the installation file was corrupt. It also happened when I tried to install Spybot Search & Destroy. I had to install Spybot in safe mode. I must have some kind of malware on my home PC running Windows XP Media Center.

My son downloaded the “Win Anti Virus Pro 2007” a while back and my wife was playing some farm game that was linked from Facebook. I read that the farm game does nasty things to your PC. I plan to backup all our files, format the hard drive, and do a clean reload of the OS and software. I think (hope) Media Converter will install afterwards. 

My problem was that it would not install…kept getting error message that there was not enough free space on C:, although there was plenty.

I got it to work and the Sansa Media Converter seems to work better than any of the other programs I’ve tried… so far.

Here is what I did:

I uninstalled SMC and deleted the installation file. Then I downloaded it again via Sansa Updater.

Then I unplugged my network cable (just for safety), and shutdown my firewall, antivirus, antispyware, and all other non-essential background programs.

Then I was able to install Sansa Media Converter with no problems.

I restarted the computer normally, all security apps running normally, then opened SMC and transfered photos and videos to my Sansa Fuze with no problems, except for a couple minor glitches.

On a couple of images that I transfered, on my Fuze, I’d only see error message regarding unsupported format. I fixed the problem by deleting those files from my Fuze, then using RentASoft Image Converter 2.3 to convert them to BMP images, then transfering them to the device with SMC.