Battery life after firmware update

After recently upgrading my Sansa Fuze to 01.01.22, I noticed a decrease in battery life. It runs out faster than usua. Is this an issue among other people who updraded the firmware?

i havent noticed a difference.

Be sure that you have backup copies of your music, and then try formatting the device by going to Settings > System Settings > Format > Yes.  This will clear the data area of your memory, starting with a clean slate.

It will also optimize the memory.  Reload your music.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@tga wrote:
After recently upgrading my Sansa Fuze to 01.01.22, I noticed a decrease in battery life. It runs out faster than usua. Is this an issue among other people who updraded the firmware?

I’m with CB…no noticeable difference for me either. 

Yep I agree no noticeable battery difference for me!  George

i’m pretty sure my batt life went down, not sure if it was firmware 1.01.15 or .22, because I downloaded them at almost the same time. at min brightness, music only I think I have lost 1/3-1/2 of my batt life.

I am having the same problem, my battery used to last a long time. After I updated to 01.01.22 my battery does not last long at all.

@serengeti wrote:
i’m pretty sure my batt life went down, not sure if it was firmware 1.01.15 or .22, because I downloaded them at almost the same time. at min brightness, music only I think I have lost 1/3-1/2 of my batt life.

Things to remember… Some of the things we All complained about and wanted fixed before the last update, that got fixed hit the battery life. Anything like custom EQ, lessens the battery life. It could be those things we all want so very very much are actually the things that kill our batterys.

If I recall, this was a similar issue with the Clip (same processor).  The solution was to format the device using the internal Format command, then reload your music. This will optimize the device’s memory.  Less overhead boils down to improved battery life.

Be sure that you have backup copies of your music, and give it a try.

Bob  :wink:

Thanks for the help everyone, I did the format option and it barely effected battery life at all. It lasts only a tiny bit more, but not as it did before, and my cuscom EQ was the same before and is now, and before it lasted a long time.

Try manually reloading the firmware a second time.  Something may be amiss there.  What format are you using for your music?  MP3 at moderate bit rates (128) is going to be the best for battery life.

Bob  :smiley:

I use Mp3 and WMA, mainly WMA, but recently before the battery life changed, I switched to Mp3

@neutron_bob wrote:

If I recall, this was a similar issue with the Clip (same processor).  The solution was to format the device using the internal Format command, then reload your music. This will optimize the device’s memory.  Less overhead boils down to improved battery life.

Be sure that you have backup copies of your music, and give it a try.

Bob  :wink:

I don’t get how ONLY reformatting optimizes the memory.  If nothing else is changed ( like screen brightness or a longer power saving time) or added (songs in a different format ) what has reformatting done?  Has it cleaned out some data that’s still lingering in the device?  Some data that the fuze no longer needs to use after updating the firmware? Is that what it does?

Using the resident (device) format command clears the memory, and uses 32KB clusters.  This ensures that the file allocation table isn’t huge, resulting in faster lookup times, and less overhead.

The data stored on this NAND flash memory is stored in a unique method; data is spread over a large area, which is good for flash devices, unlike in a hard drive, where sequential storage is best for seek time.

I have seen some devices behave erratically following firmware reflash, and formatting or reinstallation of the firmware does the trick, depending upon the difficulty.

It also can cure an imbalance of bodily humors, caused by a mouse, or small troll living within the device.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Using the resident (device) format command clears the memory, and uses 32KB clusters.  This ensures that the file allocation table isn’t huge, resulting in faster lookup times, and less overhead.

The data stored on this NAND flash memory is stored in a unique method; data is spread over a large area, which is good for flash devices, unlike in a hard drive, where sequential storage is best for seek time.

I have seen some devices behave erratically following firmware reflash, and formatting or reinstallation of the firmware does the trick, depending upon the difficulty.

It also can cure an imbalance of bodily humors, caused by a mouse, or small troll living within the device.

Anything to cut down the troll population is OK by me!

i use normal eq settings. yesterday I listend for 15 min and batt went down from 89 to 84 % just music, no video. at that rate, I would get 5 hours of battery life.

@serengeti wrote:
i use normal eq settings. yesterday I listend for 15 min and batt went down from 89 to 84 % just music, no video. at that rate, I would get 5 hours of battery life.

Filetype? Bitrate? Backlight Timer? Brightness? IT all matters with battery life.

@serengeti wrote:

For the 1,853rd time, the battery meter does not operate in a purely linear fashion. It is an approximation, not a stick in a barrel of gasoline

@neutron_bob wrote:

Thanks for answering my question.  I think I’ll internally format my fuze after I update with the firmware that’s coming out.  It’ll get rid of any little trolls that maybe running around in there. :smileyvery-happy:

One reason I chose the fuze was the long battery life and I’d hate to see it shortened because I didn’t reformat.

Thanks again!

@marvin_martian wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

< snip >

Anything to cut down the troll population is OK by me!

If that’s the case, I know of a few threads around here I’d like to re-format.