Audio skipping while playing on car stereo

I have a “CD in” port on my car stereo that I had previously been using to play my ipod in my car.  It plugs in through the head phone jack on the mp3 player, and into the stereo’s cd in port.  I’ve used this method to play cd players, and several different models of ipod that my friends own. When I try to do this with the Sansa Fuze however, the audio skips constantly. This happens while playing music or even the fuze’s built in radio.

 The Fuze works fine when I play it with headphones, and so i’m wondering what would cause it to skip while plugged into the stereo. Any ideas?

This problem doesn’t really make any sense to me.

The auxiliary port of your stereo plugs into the headphone jack of the Fuze.  The Fuze doesn’t know what it’s plugged into, so if it works fine with headphones I really don’t understand why it’s not working when you plug it into your car stereo.  

I know this sounds stupid, but you are plugging the cable in all the way?  People tend to not push it in all the way (since the headphone jack of the Fuze is pretty tight) which causes the player to “skip”.  

Besides that, I really have no idea.  It’s not the stereo since it works fine with other players (iPods).  And the Fuze should be fine if it works fine with headphones, it has no way of knowing what it’s plugged to via the headphone jack.  If it works for headphones it should work with the stereo.  I’m really not sure what to tell you. 

Those were my exact thoughts.  Yeah I made sure to plug it in all the way, so I really have no idea what could be causing this. I even tried connecting it with the same chord to other speakers around the house. It works everywhere but the car stereo.

@juankawada wrote:
Those were my exact thoughts.  Yeah I made sure to plug it in all the way, so I really have no idea what could be causing this. I even tried connecting it with the same chord to other speakers around the house. It works everywhere but the car stereo.

Are you using any EQ? If you are, try it on “Normal”.

Several things come to mind.

Make sure the cable is seated all the way in the headphone jack.

Try another cable to make sure that’s not it.

Try another device to confirm that it’s not something in the head unit.  (I know the Aux. In jack on my head unit is fragile as hell, I’ve had to take it apart and re-solder the connections on it twice now, and the last time, I potted the back of the jack with epoxy so it won’t ever move again, short of explosives.)

Turn down the volume on the Fuze, and turn it up on the head unit.  Yours may have adjustable sensitivity for the CD-in jack.  Mine does for the Aux. In.

Hope that helps some.

@tenzip wrote:

Several things come to mind.

 

Make sure the cable is seated all the way in the headphone jack.

 

  • Already beed discussed and checked.  

 

Try another cable to make sure that’s not it.

 

  • Already beed discussed and checked.  

 

Try another device to confirm that it’s not something in the head unit.  (I know the Aux. In jack on my head unit is fragile as hell, I’ve had to take it apart and re-solder the connections on it twice now, and the last time, I potted the back of the jack with epoxy so it won’t ever move again, short of explosives.)

 

  • He said he’s already tried a few iPods and they worked fine.  

 

 

Turn down the volume on the Fuze, and turn it up on the head unit.  Yours may have adjustable sensitivity for the CD-in jack.  Mine does for the Aux. In.

 

Hope that helps some.

 

Try putting the EQ to normal (as Marvin_Martian suggseted), though I’m not sure why that would cause thsi problem.  I have plugged my Fuze to a few cars before via an auxiliary port and it’s worked fine.  Your problem is really confusing me.

 So try playing with the EQ and volume but I don’t see how this would help, though you never know at this point.

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-27-2009 08:21 AM

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-27-2009 08:21 AM

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-27-2009 08:21 AM

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-27-2009 08:23 AM

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-27-2009 08:24 AM

@corilof wrote:


@tenzip wrote:

Several things come to mind.

 

Make sure the cable is seated all the way in the headphone jack.

 

  • Already beed discussed and checked.  

 

Try another cable to make sure that’s not it.

 

  • Already beed discussed and checked.  

 

Try another device to confirm that it’s not something in the head unit.  (I know the Aux. In jack on my head unit is fragile as hell, I’ve had to take it apart and re-solder the connections on it twice now, and the last time, I potted the back of the jack with epoxy so it won’t ever move again, short of explosives.)

 

  • He said he’s already tried a few iPods and they worked fine.  

 

 

Turn down the volume on the Fuze, and turn it up on the head unit.  Yours may have adjustable sensitivity for the CD-in jack.  Mine does for the Aux. In.

 

Hope that helps some.


 Try putting the EQ to normal (as Marvin_Martian suggseted), though I’m not sure why that would cause thsi problem.  I have plugged my Fuze to a few cars before via an auxiliary port and it’s worked fine.  Your problem is really confusing me.

 So try playing with the EQ and volume but I don’t see how this would help, though you never know at this point.

Wow, terribly sorry I tried to help.  Didn’t know you were on the case, Corilof.  I’ll be sure to watch my step when you’re around.  :rolleyes:

He hasn’t tried a different cable.  He said that.  Did you read that?

And he didn’t say he’d tried other units after he tried the Fuze.  He said he had used this method previously.  We don’t know if it still works with other equipment.

As far as pushing the cord in all the way, that’s another reason to try a different cable.  Some have big clunky chunks of plastic on the ends.  Manufacturing tolerances can cause problems, etc.

I’ll just slink away now, tail between my legs, like a whipped dog…

At the risk of being yelled at, I’ll say it one more time. Check real carefully that the cable is plugged all the way in to the player. I’m saying that because the when I first started using my Fuze in my car it skipped like crazy, and it took me about the 5th time before I realized the plug wasn’t all the way in. Some jacks can be a very tight fit. Try it again, really.

@tenzip wrote:


@corilof wrote:


@tenzip wrote:

Several things come to mind.

 

Make sure the cable is seated all the way in the headphone jack.

 

  • Already beed discussed and checked.  

 

Try another cable to make sure that’s not it.

 

  • Already beed discussed and checked.  

 

Try another device to confirm that it’s not something in the head unit.  (I know the Aux. In jack on my head unit is fragile as hell, I’ve had to take it apart and re-solder the connections on it twice now, and the last time, I potted the back of the jack with epoxy so it won’t ever move again, short of explosives.)

 

  • He said he’s already tried a few iPods and they worked fine.  

 

 

Turn down the volume on the Fuze, and turn it up on the head unit.  Yours may have adjustable sensitivity for the CD-in jack.  Mine does for the Aux. In.

 

Hope that helps some.


 Try putting the EQ to normal (as Marvin_Martian suggseted), though I’m not sure why that would cause thsi problem.  I have plugged my Fuze to a few cars before via an auxiliary port and it’s worked fine.  Your problem is really confusing me.

 So try playing with the EQ and volume but I don’t see how this would help, though you never know at this point.


Wow, terribly sorry I tried to help.  Didn’t know you were on the case, Corilof.  I’ll be sure to watch my step when you’re around.  :rolleyes:

 

He hasn’t tried a different cable.  He said that.  Did you read that?

 

And he didn’t say he’d tried other units after he tried the Fuze.  He said he had used this method previously.  We don’t know if it still works with other equipment.

 

As far as pushing the cord in all the way, that’s another reason to try a different cable.  Some have big clunky chunks of plastic on the ends.  Manufacturing tolerances can cause problems, etc.

 

I’ll just slink away now, tail between my legs, like a whipped dog…

 

 Wow, terribly sorry I tried to help.  Didn’t know you were on the case, tenzip.  I’ll be sure to watch my step when you’re around.  :rolleyes:

 He has used the cable with other speakers and they worked.  Meaning the chord works fine.  Did you read that?

 He never specified that he hasn’t tried an iPod after his Fuze either.  “I’ve used this method to play cd players, and several different models of ipod that my friends own. When I try to do this with the Sansa Fuze however, the audio skips constantly.”   I read it as it works fine with everything else, just not the Fuze.  Never implies that he hasn’t tested it since he tried his Fuze.  Though I suppose, in case he hasn’t tried an iPod (or other player since then), he should try it again to see if the equipment is indeed still working correctly.

As for pushing in the chord all the way in.  He stated that he used the it on other speakers around the house, so I fail to see how that could be the issue.  Maybe he does push it all the way in when he tries it on other speakers but fails to do so when he wants to use it in the car? 

But just to be on the safe side, to the OP: Get one of the iPods from your friend, using the cable you have (the one you tried to use the Fuze with), plug the iPod to your car stereo and tell us if that works.   

I’ll just slink away now, tail between my legs, like a whipped dog… 

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-27-2009 09:23 AM

Ha, I like that people will fight over the oppurtunity to help on this forum.

Just to clarify, I have tested an ipod since this problem happened.  I was very careful in check that it was plugged into the cd in port and the fuze all the way.  etc etc

What I just found out though, is that when I’m playing it in the car, not all tracks skip! there seems to be no pattern between the ones that do and the ones that don’t. Even stranger is this: nothing skips while the EQ setting are set to either classical, or full bass. 

So yeah it’s working, but I have no idea what the problem is, or why it’s fixed.  Or even if it’s a problem with the Fuze, or a problem with the stereo. 

I’m probably going to buy a new stereo soon anyway, I’m kinda annoyed with my tape deck, and analog radio that wanders from the station as I drive. So here’s hoping that it’s the stereo that’s the problem, and not the fuze. 

Now to fix my Id3 Tag Problem! (fun…)

@juankawada wrote:

Ha, I like that people will fight over the oppurtunity to help on this forum.

 

Just to clarify, I have tested an ipod since this problem happened.  I was very careful in check that it was plugged into the cd in port and the fuze all the way.  etc etc

 

What I just found out though, is that when I’m playing it in the car, not all tracks skip! there seems to be no pattern between the ones that do and the ones that don’t. Even stranger is this: nothing skips while the EQ setting are set to either classical, or full bass. 

So yeah it’s working, but I have no idea what the problem is, or why it’s fixed.  Or even if it’s a problem with the Fuze, or a problem with the stereo. 

 

I’m probably going to buy a new stereo soon anyway, I’m kinda annoyed with my tape deck, and analog radio that wanders from the station as I drive. So here’s hoping that it’s the stereo that’s the problem, and not the fuze. 

 

Now to fix my Id3 Tag Problem! (fun…)

Oh, I’m not fighting, just laughing at people who don’t take the time to read AND comprehend before applying fingers to keyboard, and then berate those who do.

You said even the radio ‘skips’ when you play it through the head unit?  That’s really bizarre.  What exact head unit do you have?  I’d like to peruse the specs on the CD-in jack if they have a manual online.

You never said what volume setting you were using on the Fuze when you had it connected.  Have you tried playing with that?

Yeah, if I’m playing the radio on the Fuze, and I have it hooked up to the car stereo, it’ll skip. 

 http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=2702D

is what I have. It really surprised me that the suggested retail price is $40 for this thing (it came with the car, I bought it used).  I would never pay $40 for this, it’s a really terrible unit. 

Ok, I tried messing with the volume, and the lower the volume on the Fuze, the better it works. It seems that if I have the volume half way down that it won’t skip no matter what the EQ is set to, but I haven’t really tested that out long term. 

*Edit*

and just to clarify

I’ve tried different cords to hook it up to the car stereo, all produced the same effect

I’ve tried the fuze with several cords (including the one i use in the car) to two different speakers in the house, and it worked on all of those. 

Ipods work in the car no matter which cord I use. 

So is there anyone else that has come kind of aux in port on their car stereo (or anywaywhere else for that matter) that has this problem?

Message Edited by juankawada on 03-27-2009 11:47 AM

@juankawada wrote:

Yeah, if I’m playing the radio on the Fuze, and I have it hooked up to the car stereo, it’ll skip. 

 

 http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=2702D

is what I have. It really surprised me that the suggested retail price is $40 for this thing (it came with the car, I bought it used).  I would never pay $40 for this, it’s a really terrible unit. 

 

Ok, I tried messing with the volume, and the lower the volume on the Fuze, the better it works. It seems that if I have the volume half way down that it won’t skip no matter what the EQ is set to, but I haven’t really tested that out long term. 

I suspect the tracks that are skipping are relatively ‘loud’ ones?  If you can, try re-ripping those tracks, and use the volume normalization option.  Normalize to 90% or so, then try them again.  In the meantime, just keep the volume on the Fuze to a moderate level, and turn up the head unit.

I think your thought to buy a different head unit is a good one.  If you get one of the ones that are a USB host, then you can just pull the music off the Fuze, and all control will be through the head unit.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could try making a line-out cable, and see if that works better.  I would be very interested to see if it did.  See here.

@juankawada wrote:

 

So is there anyone else that has come kind of aux in port on their car stereo (or anywaywhere else for that matter) that has this problem?

 

I don’t have that problem, I have used my Fuze through the Aux. In on my Sony head unit.  There is a sensitivity adjustment on it, and I have it cranked to +6dB, as the headphone output of the DAPs I have is not as strong as a true line-out.  I still have to watch it, as when I switch to the head unit’s radio, I get blasted if I forget to turn it down first.

If I buy a head unit with usb, will they recognize the fuze regardless of what usb mode i have it set to? I’ve never used one before only heard of them, so i’m not sure how that works. I just wouldn’t want to invest in a nice head unit only to realize that it doesn’t work with the fuze.

Nope, I don’t think i could pull off making my own line out cable. 

@juankawada wrote:

If I buy a head unit with usb, will they recognize the fuze regardless of what usb mode i have it set to? I’ve never used one before only heard of them, so i’m not sure how that works. I just wouldn’t want to invest in a nice head unit only to realize that it doesn’t work with the fuze.

 

Nope, I don’t think i could pull off making my own line out cable. 

If you want to make sure you get one that plays nice with the Fuze, get one with a 3.5 AUX-IN jack. The USB ones usually work best with iPuds:cry:

USB ports on car stereos are iffy. The Fuze would have to be in MSC, not MTP. And until you tried it, you have no way of knowing if the car stereo is smart enough to recognize all the music on the Fuze, in the various folders or subfolders, or if you’d have to put them all in the root directory  (like E:/Sansa Fuze).

USB ports are for thumb drives where you have all the files right in the root folder, not necessarily for the complicated system of folders and sub-folders that you might have on your Sansa. 

Get a better Aux jack. Mine works fine (Pioneer). 

ok well i’m looking for a new stereo now, and I might get new speakers with it, as my back ones are blown out.  Thanks for all the advice!