Audio Problems

i just bought mine today, it seems when i make the volume really high, the music skips.  If i keep it medium to low, it flows fine, why is that

It could be any number of issues. There are many discussions/threads on the subject already. I’d suggest typing the word ‘skipping’ into the Search box.

The most frequent cause and simplest to fix is to make sure your head/earphone jack is seated all the way. The Fuze comes with an exceptionally tight jack and many people have found it takes an extra little push to get it all the way in the first few times. :wink:

same problem here, and yes, it appears to be a very common problem that has been going on for some time with no fix in sight. tried all the suggestions on this board to no avail. the only way to get the songs to play without skipping/studdering is to keep the volume low - which is ridiculous! they claimed there was gonna be a firmware release that fixed this released in Nov, but seeing as I bought this in Dec and it’s now almost Feb, I’d say that was baloney. Think I’m gonna have to try to take it back and have one seriously disappointed nephew.

Have you updated the firmware to the latest release?

yup. updated the firmware, removed then reloaded the songs, checked the songs for stranger characters, scanned the sansa for errors, etc.

I’ve done everything suggested on here but it didn’t help and doesn’t look like anyone has gotten a fix so far as this problem is listed many times without a solution yet.

Like I posted to your thread, try changing the source volume a little.

Nope. Not doing that. That’s a lot of songs and a lot of work just to get this thing to do what it’s suppose to do. Also, it would throw off anything I want to put on my ipod. Plus, each time you convert a mp3, you lose quality. I’ll just trash this thing before I’ll jump thru all those hoops. And that still doesn’t explain why it used to work and suddenly stopped.

Many ripped CD’s and downloaded songs from the internet are recorded at such a high volume that clipping occurs. MP3Gain (free) will check this and you can set it for whatever -db level you want. It does not change the orginal file; only adds the playback info to the already existing ID3 tag. This may or may not be your exact problem, but it won’t cost anything to find out.

It sounds as if your mind is already made up, and you’re not really looking for any solutions; you just want to ‘vent’ your frustration. And that’s OK too; if you’re dis-satisfied with the unit, simply return it and go back to your pod. No one is stopping you. We’re just trying to help.

If you don’t want the help, fine . . . have a nice life.

Many ripped CD’s and downloaded songs from the internet are recorded at such a high volume that clipping occurs. MP3Gain (free) will check this and you can set it for whatever -db level you want. It does not change the orginal file; only adds the playback info to the already existing ID3 tag. This may or may not be your exact problem, but it won’t cost anything to find out.

It sounds as if your mind is already made up, and you’re not really looking for any solutions; you just want to ‘vent’ your frustration. And that’s OK too; if you’re dis-satisfied with the unit, simply return it and go back to your pod. No one is stopping you. We’re just trying to help.

If you don’t want the help, fine . . . have a nice life.

Not to revive a really old thread or anything, but I just got my new Fuze today, charged it, updated the firmware, and then started playing with the songs that came with it. If I turn the volume up, it starts to skip, and bad. I was kinda mad and thought it was defective. I searched everywhere and didn’t find much other than people saying the headphone jack could get overloaded. So as it was skipping I grabbed the headphone jack and as soon as I did, the skipping changed slightly. So I pulled the plug out about 1/16 of an inch and the skipping stopped. Pushed it in, skipping started back up. Unplugged the headphones that came with it and plugged in my old set from my Insignia that died and no skipping no matter how it’s plugged in.

I think there is an issue with certain plug ends, not the player… Just FYI in case anyone searches here.

Good Point!  :smiley:

Borrowed a Fuze 2g. Hooked it to a stereo using headphone to RCA cable. Played fine, but hummed like crazy thru stereo if I touched Fuze. My 8g Fuze is as quiet as can be in this situation! Strange.

thanks

barondla

@barondla wrote:

Borrowed a Fuze 2g. Hooked it to a stereo using headphone to RCA cable. Played fine, but hummed like crazy thru stereo if I touched Fuze. My 8g Fuze is as quiet as can be in this situation! Strange.

thanks

barondla

That is strange!

Just a question.  How are you EQ’ed?  Are you using the built in EQ or just have set to normal.

I know the e200 series had an issue that if you had the EQ up, then you would get some skipping because the EQ’d value would start overloading the amp circuit and cause some pretty nasty cutout.

If you are looking to EQ your music, you should not do it the Tom Cruise method and raise the values, but rather use subtractive eq.  That is, instead of increasing the desired frequecies, you should decrease the undesired ones.  EQ is the relational, so as long as the “wave” looks the same, the ratios will be the same, just a little lower overall volume for a given power level.

|                 -

|   -        - -

| -   - - -

|______________

|

|

|

|

is the same as

|

|

|

|_____________

|                -       

|  -        - -

|-   - - -

|

And will not overload the amp…

Just a thought

Generally you get the buzzing for 1 of three reasons. The First and most common is a bad EQ setting as P_Opus suggested, but the other reasons behind the humming could be a crossed circuit interferance, or another chord with perhaps not enough plastic coating so it emits a bit of electircal current crossing the input line could cause the hum. The other is that the Line you use to hook in to the sterio and then the fuze are on too different power scales, meaning that the power it takes to send the audio to the sterio is more or less than that of the Fuze.

I discovered a solution to the audio plug issue. Buy 1/8 inch inside diameter “O” rings, from the plumbing department at Home Depot. Slide one on the cable or ear phone plugs. This has solved my problem.

Gary