Audio files in MP3 format

Is there any advantage in putting MP3 audio books in the Podcast or overdrive directory insread of the music directory, except of avoiding shuffle play of Audio files? 

One would be that every time you come back to that mp3 audiobook you’re given the option to resume playback from where you left.

edit the id3 tag of the file and enter audiobook in the genre field. then your audio books will show up in the audiobook section and will support bookmarking.

Lucky_Luciano is correct but I would extend that answer.  When you’re listening ONLY to an audiobook stored under Music and you power-off the Clip, when you turn it back on you have an option to where you left off.

But that option disappears under many scenarios, especially if you listen to any other track.

However, when the audiobook is stored under Audiobook, then (it seems) each track that you play is bookmarked where you left off.  So you can switch listening between the audiobook and other items including other audiobooks.

Caveat: Lesson learned for me…the audiobook needs to be one track.  Cuz the Clip treats each track as a separate book.  So those tracks need to be joined. e.g., Check out MediaJoin program to do that. 

You can switch to successive chapters (if the book is stored as separate MP3 file chapters), simply by clicking the submenu button, “back to list”, then select the next file.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

another avantage audiobook / podcast folder has over the music is that you can listen to your audio with as chipmunks, or barry white (slow or fast speed).

@neutron_bob wrote:

You can switch to successive chapters (if the book is stored as separate MP3 file chapters), simply by clicking the submenu button, “back to list”, then select the next file.

Bob

N. Bob,

Can you elaborate a bit more about the chapter feature?  Maybe I didn’t search in the right places but I haven’t seen it explained.  And I fiddled around with it on my Clip and couldn’t discern anything so I figured it must only work with true Audiobook tracks.  Thanks! 

it depends on the audiobook.  some audiobook will have each chapter as seperate files, like this “peter and the wolf” audio musical book I downloaded:

and the audiofunction that “back to music” neutron_bob was talking about to view the chapters looks like this on the device:

the chapters would be of the “title” tag of the music files. for this book “Peter and the Wolf” each chapter is the title name. 

thoma!

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words (give or take a sentence or two).  Perfect visualization!  The actual “Chapter Mode” feature as I’ve used it with Audible .aa files allows you to scan by the individual chapters of an Audible book.

The top line of the display shows the current chapter when in this mode.

But, as shown in the photos, navigating about with individual chapters isn’t too bad, especially with “vanilla” mp3 audiobooks.  I am elated that SanDisk has gone with the new audio book / podcast update.

Very nice Winamp GUI, by the way.  I grew up with green monochrome monitors (Nixie tubes too).

Bob   :smileyvery-happy:

Okay, got it.  I inferred something that N. Bob didn’t write: I thought he was using the Clip’s software-based “Chapter mode” feature.  And your screen captures show (fantastic work, by the way; you write technical documentation?) that chapter mode is off.

What you’ve described is that I normally do: Label my tracks as chapters or subchapters.  Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Clip won’t automatically advance from chapter to chapter (track to track), will it?  At least, my Clip didn’t when I tried that approach.

So I want an audiobook to play continously across chapters, the chapters have to be in a single track…at least that’s my conclusion and I would be happy to be proved wrong!  Right now, I’m merging/joining the several books I’ve ripped into back into single tracks*.

(*I have a library of books-on-cassettes and spent a lot of time transferring each tape to .wav and then splitting that long track to into smaller MP3 tracks. Alas, with this new firmware, I could have simply skipped the tedious splitting and chapter-naming part!)

@mmcjwo wrote:

What you’ve described is that I normally do: Label my tracks as chapters or subchapters.  Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Clip won’t automatically advance from chapter to chapter (track to track), will it?  At least, my Clip didn’t when I tried that approach.

So I want an audiobook to play continously across chapters, the chapters have to be in a single track…at least that’s my conclusion and I would be happy to be proved wrong!  Right now, I’m merging/joining the several books I’ve ripped into back into single tracks*.

My Clip plays audiobooks all the way through across multiple chapters/tracks.  The key is to make sure that multiple “Titles” are listed under “Audiobooks” (“Settings” … “Audiobooks” … then select an audiobook).  They play in the order listed there.  Note that when you select the first “title” listed that the Clip’s display will say “1/7” ( assuming book has 7 parts or “titles” ).  I’m not sure how the files are sorted - by filename, by the “Title” tag, or by the “Track Number” tag for those files with the same “Album” tag.  Anyone messed around with this and know the answer?

It is nice to have the entire book in one track with the 01.01.29 firmware so you don’t have to remember what part of a multipart book you were on if you go listen to something else and then come back.  I’ve noticed that if a track in the audiobooks menu has been played all the way through (the most recent time it was played) it will start playing from the beginning and will not ask you if you want to resume.  This is fine for books with hour long tracks like those from OverDrive but not so good for a book ripped from CDs to MP3 where each disc has tracks that are less than 5 minutes.  Imagine trying to find where you were in a book with 20 CDs and 15 tracks per CD!!!

An easy option for keeping track in this situation is to use the voice recorder to tell yourself what part of which audiobook you were listening to like “War & Peace, Disk 4, track 11”.  You can quickly listen to the note you left for yourself, delete the voice recording, and go to the right track.  With the bookmarking for audiobooks and podcasts just select “Resume” and you won’t have to worry about the time within the track and fast forwarding to that time.

Good luck.

By the way - I love the new firmware.  Thanks SanDisk!!

The clip should automatically advance to the next chapter/segment during playback after the current one is done.

yes as the above two stated, the clip will advance to the next title / chapter, but under one condition. they must reside in the same “audiobook”. this is determined by the album’s tag. as seen in my picture, all those titles/chapters are in the audiobook, Peter and the Wolf. If say I had another audiobook in there: Harry Potter, and I was playing Peter and the Wolf and reached the end of the book, the player will not skip to the next Audiobook: Harry Potter. Instead it will just replay Peter and the Wolf again until I exit out and choose another book.

About Chapter Mode: It is a feature only for Audible Audiobooks. Audible format has embedded que points which are the chapters. enabling chapter mode allows you to use << and >> to skip through the que points. It does nothing for mp3/wma/ogg audiobooks.  Interestingly though, most audible audiobooks I’ve used have only maybe 5-9 que points, so their not really chapters since I’m certain books have more than 5-9 chapters. That and I noticed I skipped 5-10 chapters when going to the next que point.

oh and I do love pictures. I think it helps a lot to visual see than to read. specially since we use all these contraptions that we visually look at, it’s hard to read and match what we see.

Message Edited by thoma on 06-03-2008 11:14 AM

I too have gone the merge method:

A simple way to do this, if you are not already familiar with a merger program (thanx to tk421 in this thread:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=6790) is to just merge the individual sections (files) of the book into one large mp3 file. This way when I return from listening to some tunes and “resume playback” on my book, I just select the overall book file (the merged one) and it starts exactly where I left off last time I was there (it’s bookmarked!).

Because my audiobook source had some architecture problems their automated downloads were extremely slow so I downloaded via Windows Media Player and transferred the books manually to the MP3 player.  This put them in the music file, not the book file.

When the book source fixed their problem and I used their automated downloads, it put the books in the Music file AND the Book file, which I didn’t realize.

Since my wife, who listens to the books, always found them in the Music file she continued to use that file on the MP3 player and it would not advance chapters.

After many many weeks of looking for answers, I happened to  look under Books on the player and found the recording.

Under Books it advances the chapter automatically.  Under Music you have to advance the chapters manually.