[ask] How to be sure that's really safe to remove the sansa fuze from the computer without wmp

In the manual, it’s said that sansa fuze can be removed safely after the data transfer finished completely, when I used Windows Media Player, after synching completed, there is a msg “You can dissconnect sansa fuze now”, it convinient, but I don’t like using windows media player, I use MediaMonkey instead, and there is no message at all to confirm when it’s safe to dissconnect the player after the sync process completed, so how can I be sure whether is it really safe to dissconnect the player ? there’s no tray icon to safely remove the player, there is no quarantee that my security suites doesn’t access the device in the background                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Thanks

I’ve never had any problems simply unplugging the Fuze from the computer. I think the USB standard has gotten over any problems that used to arise from “incorrectly” disconnecting devices. With all of my removable drives, I just yank them out of the port if I know there’s no transfer going. As long as no transfer is in progress you shouldn’t have any touble. If by security suite you’re referring to anti-virus software, there’s really no reason to have those apps monitor your Fuze unless when you download potentially harmful files you select the Fuze as the Save To destination, which is not a good idea anyway.

From what I’ve seen, in MTP mode just unplug your player, and in MSC mode, use the “safely remove hardware” is a safe way to go.

@qualityaudio wrote:
 With all of my removable drives, I just yank them out of the port if I know there’s no transfer going. 

 That’s the key.  Thanks to caching, the program writing the file may think it’s done while the operating system is still pushing data out to the device.  USB2 is fast enough that the time difference probably isn’t much.

 The other big hazard is if you are downloading off the internet directly to the player.  That can take a while and doesn’t have that big pop-up progress bar like a drag-and-drop copy does to remind you.

 

On the bottom right of the taskbar are the icons of running programs. If you have anything connected via USB, there should be a mostly green one, probably supposed to look like a computer terminal, that will say Safely Remove Hardware when you mouse over it.

If you don’t have anything else connected, the icon will appear when you plug in the Fuze.

Find it, click on it, click on the label and it will list the USB-connected hardware. Click on the Sansa to shut it down.

Truth be told, I rarely do that. I just unplug. But that’s the old-school ultra-safe method. 

The only thing displayed when I clicked my usb tray icon is “to safely remove my atheros usb wifi”, not fuze’s, I guess it’s in mtp mode then, since I set the usb mode in fuze’s setting to “auto”, so I must check my usb tray icon, whether it’s listed or not, if it’s not, then it’s in mtp mode, so just pull it out, but if it listed, use the safely remove fuze, everytime I want to disconnect it from the computer, very unpractical, reminds me to my old creative zen touch before firmware upgrade

@paleskin wrote:
The only thing displayed when I clicked my usb tray icon is “to safely remove my atheros usb wifi”, not fuze’s, I guess it’s in mtp mode then, since I set the usb mode in fuze’s setting to “auto”, so I must check my usb tray icon, whether it’s listed or not, if it’s not, then it’s in mtp mode, so just pull it out, but if it listed, use the safely remove fuze, everytime I want to disconnect it from the computer, very unpractical, reminds me to my old creative zen touch before firmware upgrade

You should not be using the auto-defect mode…choose either MTP or MSC, whichever suits your needs, but auto just brings on confusion and frustration.

@Marvin, thanks, U clear it up for me =), anyway correct me if I were wrong, does “MTP” stand for “Media Transfer Protocol for play4sure devices” ? and what actually “MSC” stands for ?

@paleskin wrote:
@marvin, thanks, U clear it up for me =), anyway correct me if I were wrong, does “MTP” stand for “Media Transfer Protocol for play4sure devices” ? and what actually “MSC” stands for ?

You’re welcome!

And MSC = Mass Storage Class, I believe. It will let just about any computer interact with your player.

Oh yeah, one last question, what is the usb auto detect feature intended for actually ?

I’ve just been playing with mine and I think I have it figured out, the what but not the why. In MSC mode, Windows sees the Fuze as a drive and gives it a drive letter. In MTP mode, you can still see the Fuze but not as a drive. You can still drag and drop files on to it, but you cannot see or access files dropped in MSC mode, nor can you see MTP files when you are in MSC mode. It’s as though they are separate partitions.

On my system, Auto Detect mode behaves the same as MTP mode. I don’t know what would happen if you put it on a computer that had no DRM software on it at all, if it would automatically go into MSC mode or what. I’ve been in Auto Detect mode for a while and have discovered folders and files when switching to MSC mode that I normally can’t access anyway, so I’ll put it into MTP mode and reformat. That should give me more room in MTP for Rhapsody files. Just can’t figure out why have the two modes. MTP seems perfectly fine even without protected files, so why the need for MSC? Is it for other operating systems? 

Yes, MSC is a generic USB connection–works with Mac and Linux, not to mention Windows programs like Media Monkey and Winamp and…

MTP is a much more troublesome connection. It requires Windows Media Player 10 or above, and even then it gives some people problems. I don’t want to interpose WMP between my music and the Fuze, or even to do the extra clicks into the virtual drive created in MTP mode, so I’m happy to have MSC. There are some MTP-only players, and I wouldn’t go near them. Maybe I’m just a control freak…

MSC = My Sansa Connection

MTP = Made To Perplex 

@paleskin wrote:
@marvin, thanks, U clear it up for me =), anyway correct me if I were wrong, does “MTP” stand for “Media Transfer Protocol for play4sure devices” ? and what actually “MSC” stands for ?

MTP = Most Troublesome Protocol

MSC = Many Satisfied Customers

WMP = Worst Mess Possible

:smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:


@paleskin wrote:
@marvin, thanks, U clear it up for me =), anyway correct me if I were wrong, does “MTP” stand for “Media Transfer Protocol for play4sure devices” ? and what actually “MSC” stands for ?


MTP = Most Troublesome Protocol

 

MSC = Many Satisfied Customers

 

WMP = Worst Mess Possible

 

:smileyvery-happy:

Take it for what it’s worth… as a former Microsoft employee.  I’ve N-E-V-E-R had an issue with MTP.  I don’t understand why people dispise the protocol that much.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:


@tapeworm wrote:


@paleskin wrote:
@marvin, thanks, U clear it up for me =), anyway correct me if I were wrong, does “MTP” stand for “Media Transfer Protocol for play4sure devices” ? and what actually “MSC” stands for ?


MTP = Most Troublesome Protocol

 

MSC = Many Satisfied Customers

 

WMP = Worst Mess Possible

 

:smileyvery-happy:


Take it for what it’s worth… as a former Microsoft employee.  I’ve N-E-V-E-R had an issue with MTP.  I don’t understand why people dispise the protocol that much.

Merely having fun . . . :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:


@fuze_owner_gb wrote:


@tapeworm wrote:


@paleskin wrote:
@marvin, thanks, U clear it up for me =), anyway correct me if I were wrong, does “MTP” stand for “Media Transfer Protocol for play4sure devices” ? and what actually “MSC” stands for ?


MTP = Most Troublesome Protocol

 

MSC = Many Satisfied Customers

 

WMP = Worst Mess Possible

 

:smileyvery-happy:


Take it for what it’s worth… as a former Microsoft employee.  I’ve N-E-V-E-R had an issue with MTP.  I don’t understand why people dispise the protocol that much.


 

Merely having fun . . . :smileyvery-happy:

No… Tape; I understand completely where you are coming from … but there is an individual or two that frequently post here that go out of their way to bad-mouth or discourge MTP.  About every other post contains the phrase “don’t use MTP”.

I just think their feelings are misguided…

You talkin’ about me?

Given the number of posters on this board who:

  1. Can’t immediately connect because MTP demands a driver it can’t find, or generates the inscrutable “Code 10” error.

  2. Have had their music suddenly erased from their units because WMP’s default is Auto-Sync.

  3. Have gotten weird file and folder names simply by drag-and-dropping in MTP mode. 

  4. Got stuck with protected .wma files for the lengthy era when that was WMP’s default.  (I believe that changed at some point…) 

  5. Have many other MTP-related problems that don’t come immediately to mind, but just disappear in MSC mode…

I understand that SanDisk wanted to integrate a music library program with the Sansa the way iTunes collaborates with iPods, and the obvious, already installed choice was Windows Media Player.  But face it, WMP and MTP are not as smooth as Apple’s proprietary system. (Which, for the record, I would also discourage.) 

I see no reason to recommend MTP other than when it is absolutely necessary: to send the keys for DRM files. And since I hate DRM pragmatically and philosophically…

Make the Sensible Choice: MSC. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

You talkin’ about me?

 

Given the number of posters on this board who:

 

  1. Can’t immediately connect because MTP demands a driver it can’t find, or generates the inscrutable “Code 10” error.

 

  1. Have had their music suddenly erased from their units because WMP’s default is Auto-Sync.

 

  1. Have gotten weird file and folder names simply by drag-and-dropping in MTP mode. 

 

  1. Got stuck with protected .wma files for the lengthy era when that was WMP’s default.  (I believe that changed at some point…) 

 

  1. Have many other MTP-related problems that don’t come immediately to mind, but just disappear in MSC mode…

 

I understand that SanDisk wanted to integrate a music library program with the Sansa the way iTunes collaborates with iPods, and the obvious, already installed choice was Windows Media Player.  But face it, WMP and MTP are not as smooth as Apple’s proprietary system. (Which, for the record, I would also discourage.) 

 

I see no reason to recommend MTP other than when it is absolutely necessary: to send the keys for DRM files. And since I hate DRM pragmatically and philosophically…

 

Make the Sensible Choice: MSC. 

 

Fact remains…99% of all consumers are idiots.  No need to discourage a protocol just because they are too ignorant to understand it.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 08-30-2009 05:21 AM

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

Fact remains…99% of all consumers are idots.  No need to discourage a protocol just because they are too ignorant to understand it.

But seriously, folks, the whole point of a protocol with a lot of automated choices, like MTP, is to make the process idiot proof. Not to cause more problems if someone thinks that the combined genius of Microsoft and SanDisk gave them something plug-and-play–and has it wipe out their music collection on Auto-Sync instead.