Compatibility with Computer

My Fuze is not always compatible when I plug it into the USB port. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t I usually have to check the three different ports on my computer. Usually it says it is connected then the connected and writing status indicators repeat rapidly along with the indictor on the computer that something has been inserted into a USB port. Am I missing something? Also, the USB port with the Fuze does not have a Safe to Remove Hardware icon on the Taskbar. Does that have anything to do with it?

Thanks!

They usually connect easier in MSC mode. And that would give you the “Safe To Remove” icon in your taskbar, although it’s not really necessary as long as you wait until it’s stopped reading or writing before you pull the plug.

There’s a small caveat with just switching the USB mode on the player though. Files on your player can’t be seen by your computer unless it’s connected in the same mode as what it was connected in when the files were transferred. In your case, it sounds like your player was in MTP or Auto Defect mode when you loaded your content. This means if you switch to MSC mode for easier connectivity, you won’t be able to see the files you placed on the player. The USB mode doesn’t really matter to the player as it will see an play files regardless of transfer mode. But it can be very confusing to you, the user.

So the best thing for you probably is to delete or clear the memory. You can do this in one fell swoop by using the Format option on the player. Then switch the player to MSC mode (in Settings > System Settings > USB Mode) and re-load all your music, books, whatever. Now your player should connect easier and you’ll be able to see and manage everything  on it.

MTP mode is only needed if you use protected content like Rhapsody, Audible, or ‘borrowed’ books from your library. Otherwise, MSC is the hot ticket. :smiley:

They usually connect easier in MSC mode. And that would give you the “Safe To Remove” icon in your taskbar, although it’s not really necessary as long as you wait until it’s stopped reading or writing before you pull the plug.

There’s a small caveat with just switching the USB mode on the player though. Files on your player can’t be seen by your computer unless it’s connected in the same mode as what it was connected in when the files were transferred. In your case, it sounds like your player was in MTP or Auto Defect mode when you loaded your content. This means if you switch to MSC mode for easier connectivity, you won’t be able to see the files you placed on the player. The USB mode doesn’t really matter to the player as it will see and play files regardless of transfer mode. But it can be very confusing to you, the user.

So the best thing for you probably is to delete or clear the memory. You can do this in one fell swoop by using the Format option on the player. Then switch the player to MSC mode (in Settings > System Settings > USB Mode) and re-load all your music, books, whatever. Now your player should connect easier and you’ll be able to see and manage everything  on it.

MTP mode is only needed if you use protected content like Rhapsody, Audible, or ‘borrowed’ books from your library. Otherwise, MSC is the hot ticket.