Eject or no?

I’m starting to suspect the Fuze should be ejected or stopped from Windows before being disconnected. While the manual states that it’s fine to simple unplug & go, I’m having trouble believing that to be in the best interest of the device. I got a white screen this morning after disconnecting, and had to perform a reset to get the device up & running again.

Would you agree disconnecting from Windows first is the better choice?

If you don’t mind the extra step there’s no reason not to. It certainly couldn’t hurt.

@g33z3r wrote:

I’m starting to suspect the Fuze should be ejected or stopped from Windows before being disconnected. While the manual states that it’s fine to simple unplug & go, I’m having trouble believing that to be in the best interest of the device. I got a white screen this morning after disconnecting, and had to perform a reset to get the device up & running again.

Would you agree disconnecting from Windows first is the better choice?

My uncle, electrical engineer and the family guru, told me to use the “safely remove hardware” thing when I disconnect my MP3 players, and even when I unplug and re-connect the wireless adaptor. So I take him at his word, because I am clueless compared to him :smiley:

As long as you see no ‘writing’ or ‘reading’ on the Fuze’s screen, it should be safe to pull the plug. But better safe than sorry. It doesn’t hurt to develop good habits. :wink:

It never hurts to do the safely remove hardware device procedure man. I don’t know why you got a white screen, my old Dell laptop never gave my Fuze a white screen, (or was it your computer that got the white screen?)

I should think that if your device is in MSC mode, then by all means, use the “Safely Remove” function.  In MSC mode it is essentially acting as a flash drive, and one should always “Safely Remove” flash drives.

But, I use MTP mode on my Clip and Fuze, and don’t have the option to “Eject” or “Safely Remove”, so I have to just unplug them.

Funny, though, I just noticed my Zune shows up in the “Safely Remove” list.

I Use MTP as well. It doesnt give me the option. So No i dont eject.

MTP mode is safer as long as the device does not show active communication (writing or reading).

In MSC mode, we have two issues: sometimes, files are not completely transferred, but are cached.  They will close the transfer upon using the Safely Disconnect function.

The second issue is more ominous, and we see the results occasionally in the form of a frozen player.  A partial transfer means an incomplete file, or corruption.  If you’re in MSC mode, a simple click on the “remove” icon in the system tray will float a balloon, asking for confirmation to stop the device.

The only real headache is Windows’ habit of hiding the icon down there.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

MTP mode is safer as long as the device does not show active communication (writing or reading).

In MSC mode, we have two issues: sometimes, files are not completely transferred, but are cached.  They will close the transfer upon using the Safely Disconnect function.

This isn’t quite true.  MTP mode is not any safer than MSC mode as long as write caching is disabled (the default for removable drives).  In which case, you don’t need to to use Safely Remove.  In both cases (MTP or MSC without write caching) you can always safely yank the plug as long as there are no active transfers taking place.  However, if you decide to enable write caching in MSC mode then you must always use Safely Remove, no matter what.

You can enable/disable write caching in Device Manager.  Go to Disk Drives, right click on the Fuze’s drive and select Properties.  Then go to the Policies tab to enable/disable write caching.

In any case it never hurts to use Safely Remove and it only takes a couple seconds, so you might as well use it.

I would think that in MTP mode, the Sansa isn’t being treated as a removable drive by the OS, but under the WiMP 10 / 11 MTP protocol as a “media device”.  I don’t think WiMP will cache the transfer…time for a wee bit of research.  Now I’m curious.

@neutron_bob wrote:

I would think that in MTP mode, the Sansa isn’t being treated as a removable drive by the OS, but under the WiMP 10 / 11 MTP protocol as a “media device”.  I don’t think WiMP will cache the transfer…time for a wee bit of research.  Now I’m curious.

No, I didn’t mean to imply that.  The write caching stuff only applies to MSC.  My point was that as long as write caching is disabled when in MSC mode (the default config), it’s as safe as MTP in terms of being able to disconnect the device.

Besides ensuring that writes are complete, “safely remove” checks that no programs on the PC still have files open on the player.