All files went "poof!"

I did a search for this, and didn’t find anything - sorry if I’m duplicating!

My son received a 4G black fuze for Christmas.  Uploaded songs, video, pictures to the internal hard drive without issue.

Last night, while listening to music, everything disappeared.  There are no files found on the Fuze.  I plugged it into the computer (Vista Home Premium, SP1) and no files showed up in the folders.  He said he was going “back” to hear the previous song when things disappeared.  

I managed to put all the music back, this time onto the micro SD card in hopes of preventing future loss.  Any idea what happened and how I can fix the problem?

Thanks!

~Lori

Was Elizabeth Montgomery in the room at the time and wriggle her nose?

Seriously though, I’ve not heard of any of these developing instantaneous & total amnesia before. I would load a few files back onto the internal memory, especially those that your son was listening to at the time and try to re-create the situation. If it’s re-produceable with the same files, it may have something to do with the files themselves, but I sorta doubt it. More likely is that you’ve got a dud, or the memory chip inside is not soldered properly to the board causing the failure. Probably ought to think about getting it replaced. I’d call Tech Support to to confirm. :wink:

Thanks, Tapeworm!  I didn’t see Tabitha anywhere around, but given that it is a 13 year old boy’s room, anything is possible! :wink:

I will try adding some files to the internal memory and see what happens.  Given that he played it for almost a month before anything happened, it may be hard to recreate.  I did ask him if he had accidentally clicked “format”, which is the only thing in my mind that could make the files go away, and he said no - he just pushed the “back” button to start the song over.

@hoopensnooper wrote:

I did ask him if he had accidentally clicked “format”, which is the only thing in my mind that could make the files go away, and he said no - he just pushed the “back” button to start the song over.

‘Format’ would indeed do it, and like you said anything can happen when a 13 year-old boy is involved. :wink: