'Album' ID3 tag overridden by 'WWW name-of-series' tag

• I use a Fuze+ 8GB with firmware 2.38.06.
  • My stuff consists mainly of spoken reports on science, IT and poltics , but I store it as ‘Music’, rather than as ‘Podcast’ (tweaking the genre if necessary; I’m not happy with how the Fuze+ is handling podcasts).
  • On the PC I put the files into different folders depending on topics , program series etc., to create useful collections of similar content. Then I use the MP3Tag tool to set the album tag to the folder name, since the original album name provided by the file creator is often useless:angry:. Additionally I clear all genre tags to avoid having podcasts.

For a long time this has worked very well, until I downloaded 2 files which turned up in the Fuze+ showing unexpected album names :dizzy_face:. It took me some effort to find out where these names came from. My examples, radio broadcasts, contain German words, but there’s no need for you to understand those.

Both files went to folder “Funkstreifzug” (en: ‘Radio Foray’) and got tagged with ‘ALBUM: Funkstreifzug’. But Fuze+ put them into the following albums:

1. Der Funkstreifzug - B5 aktuell
  2. Notizbuch - Nah dran - Bayern 2

while the album tag still shows the value ‘Funkstreifzug:angry:

Where did these texts come from? I used a tag lister (plug-in of TotalCommander file manager) and was in for a surprise. Each file contains a special tag starting with ‘WWW’ followed by the name of the program [series]:

1. WWW Der Funkstreifzug - B5 aktuell : http://www.br-online.de/podcast/mp3-download/b5aktuell/mp3-download-podcast-funkstreifzug.shtml
  2. WWW Notizbuch - Nah dran - Bayern 2 : http://www.br-online.de/podcast/mp3-download/bayern2/mp3-download-podcast-notizbuch-nah-dran.shtml

The program [series] name from these funny tags overrode the album specifications!:manmad: And MP3 Tag Tool doesn’t know them, so it can’t change them. What can I do?

I have an option for you but you may not like it lol

I have installed on my pc Tag & Rename and that is my main tagging app i use

for vorbis comment tags and id3 tags… BUT

I also have DBpoweramp installed and i use that to create my own mp3’s from my disc rips

and DBpoweramp comes with a context menu option that shows you a couple more prop pages

when i select a file or a group of files and one of the prop pages shows a list of ‘ALL’ tags

the file conatins, MANY of which are NOT visible from within tag & rename !

And ocassionaly i select a group of files and REMOVE a tag complely or edit one etc.

Im sure you could do the same with mp3tag but i don’t know much about the program

i install it but never bother using it but atleast its free unlike dbpoweramp

1 Like

@xpmule wrote:
[…]

Im sure you could do the same with mp3tag but i don’t know much about the program

i install it but never bother using it but atleast its free unlike dbpoweramp

I can’t do it with mp3tag:angry: It shows and edits only the most common ID3 tags; those starting with ‘WWW’ are not handled. [Update : my tag editor is not ‘mp3tag’, see my next posting]

I simply wonder that a tag like this:

• WWW <some-text>: <some-URL>

causes Fuze+ to replace the given album information with <some-text>! This looks like a firmware bug to me.:cry: Maybe I should look for a more comprehensive tag editor.

un MP3tag you can edit any tag here’s how:

select a few songs (or just do the next step on one)>right click one of the selected songs>click extended tags>now edit whatever you please.

1 Like

@alienkid10 wrote:

un MP3tag you can edit any tag here’s how:

[…]

You’re so right! Shame on me::stuck_out_tongue: I mixed-up the names of ID3 tag editors. The editor I’m currently using is called ‘MP3 Tag Tools’ from http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net which handles only a subset of tags. You are talking about ‘mp3tag’ from http://www.mp3tag.de which can handle all tags.

I installed ‘mp3tag’ and removed the funny tag ‘WWW <some-text>’ from the 3 files which contained such a beast and - lo and behold!:dizzy_face: - Fuze+ now shows again the album information given in the ALBUM tag, and no longer <some-text>. There must be a bug in the firmware.

Ya thats what i thought… about “MP3Tag”

Glad you got it figured out though

There is a reason that program is so popular lol

I just don’t like the GUI so i avoid using it

i wish it had an interface like Tag & Rename’s

@xpmule wrote:

[about “MP3Tag”]

[…]

I just don’t like the GUI so i avoid using it

IMHO the most serious flaw is that the conversion operations tag->filename and filename->tag can be mixed-up so easily. I only need filename->tag to set the album to the file’s directory (format string: …%album%%dummy%) run over all files. Tag->filename would ruin my collection. I’ll have to choose carefully…

About the annoying ‘WWW’ tag: it can be added to the Tag Panel via the options dialog. Thus it can be set to blank in all selected files (usually the whole collection). That should avoid the bug I reported in this thread.

If only some SanDisk guru would join this discussion, taking notice of this bug.

Not sure if anyone pays much attention around here…

I reported a bug with Flac file tags i noticed and i dont think i got 1 reply from anyone

The bug was the “Album Artist” Tag field conflicts with the “Artist” tag

So what would happen is the player would show “Artist=%Name%” as the band name

I went through 1,000’s of files and removed that tag and no problem since…

Worth mentioning that i have that tag set on almost all my mp3’s and artist shows up just fine / no bugs

Its something to do with Vorbis Comment tags i guess

@xpmule wrote:

Not sure if anyone pays much attention around here…

I reported a bug with Flac file tags i noticed and i dont think i got 1 reply from anyone

The bug was the “Album Artist” Tag field conflicts with the “Artist” tag

So what would happen is the player would show “Artist=%Name%” as the band name

I went through 1,000’s of files and removed that tag and no problem since…

Worth mentioning that i have that tag set on almost all my mp3’s and artist shows up just fine / no bugs

Its something to do with Vorbis Comment tags i guess

I don’t believe any of the Sansa players read the ‘Album Artist’ field of the tag. Maybe that’s your problem; you need to blank this field out to eliminate the confusion and/or conflict.

I doubt it… I have plenty of files with the “album Artist” tag, and don’t have issues at all. I have had one issue where the Fuze+ said “tist+(artist name)”, but I solved it by deleting the “artist” and reinserting it. This seems to be a problem with ogg files, I guess there is some kind of bug with vorbis tags.

Actualy i proved it you guys and posted a seperate topic about this.

And it ONLY applied to Vorbis Comment tags i have like a terabyte of music

and i tag each tag like a nazi so i know what i’m talking about… im no noob :wink:

I also keep a clone of every single song one in flac and an mp3 encode from that same flac

Anyway if you search around the forum you will find MANY posts of other people

mentioning the bug i brought up… just look…