AC/Car adators for charging Sansa Clip

As I take my Sansa Clip on trips without a computer easily accessed. (I would probably have to beg someone to charge my player on their computer). Is there an AC adaptor/car adaptor for the Clip. The website is confusing as the product shown is a 30 pin adaptor. Also I have a Garmin NUVI 350 GPS which has the same size plugs as the Sansa Clip. Can I use these to charge the Sansa or will it fry it?

thanks

duke927

There are many adapters that can be used and many have been posted here–try a search using the search box above.

The short answer:  as a general matter, the Clip can use a “basic” standard USB car/AC adapter, connecting using the Clip’s supplied USB cable or where the adapter’s permanently attached cable will fit the Clip’s standard mini-USB port.  Examples include Motorola Razr adapters; Mio GPS 310x car/AC adapters (personal experience); the Macally AC adapter labeled for Sansa players (even though the Clip is not listed) (personal experience); the DLO Power Bug AC adapter listed for general MP3 player use (personal experience); and many others.  Although the adapter must have sufficient amperage for the Clip, as the Clip requires a lower amperage, that has not seemed to cause issue.

If your GPS adapter supplies standard USB power and has the proper connectors, it should be fine–the USB standard is precisely that, a standard.  But I can’t guarantee this or the above–you never know when a manufacturer might have done something different or where an adapter is off.  But this hopefully will give you an idea of others’ successes.

The Clip has a standard Mini-B USB jack (5V). So, check the specs on any charger. See here for more info:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=6745#M6745

Thanks for the reply.

The A/C adaptor of the Garmin GPS output is 5V–1a. Still unsure if this will fry the clip.

In that thread, sansafix says the Clip regulates current so apparently the 1A is okay.

@duke927 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The A/C adaptor of the Garmin GPS output is 5V–1a. Still unsure if this will fry the clip.

That should be fine–those are the specs for the Macally charger that is “Sansa rated” and that works fine with the Clip.  But, I can’t absolutely guarantee it–I haven’t used your charger.

>>Garmin GPS output is 5V–1a. Still unsure if this will fry the clip.

I use that charger for my Sansa Clip.  No problems so far (6 or 7 charges).   

I use a Motorola AC Power Supply

Model: FMP5202A

Output: 5V 850mA

It was my friends cellphone charger then she gave it to me since she purchased a new phone.

It works fine.

Here is a pic:

http://www.reaganwireless.com/rw-complete-photos/main.php?g2\_itemId=221

Message Edited by rudel on 06-01-2008 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the replies and help. The consensus is that if it is mini USB a/c adaptor and is 5v it wont fry. I’ll give it a try.

FWIW, I;ve been charging my 2G clip with ustarcom F1000 charger without any problem

from charger’s label: output 5.2VDC@600