8GB Clip Not Working With MP3Tag

I just got an 8 GB Clip, upgraded from the 2 GB model, and loving it.  However, when I plug it into the USB port of my Win XP computer, in Windows Explorer it shows up as an “Other” device, as opposed to “Hard Disk Drives” or “Devices with Removable Storage”.  It is set in MSC mode for drag and drop purposes.  I can click on it in Win Explorer to access the memory, so for most things but when I try using the MP3Tag program, it doesn’t recognize the Clip as a valid directory.  Is there a way of having WIN XP change the category of the Clip, or of tricking MP3Tag to see the Clip?  Thanks much.

If it is showing up in Windows Explorer under Other it is still in MTP mode; in MSC it will show up with your other disc drives (CD, DVD, Floppy, etc.) under Devices with Removable Storage.

Check your SETTINGS again. Set it manually in MSC, not MTP or Auto-Defect. You should then be able to use MP3Tag with no problem. :smiley:

Heheh, you said Auto-Defect… :stuck_out_tongue:

Too much blood in your coffee-stream, Tapeworm, or are you trying to tell us something? :smileyvery-happy:

How do you use MP3tag with the Clip?? In MSC mode when I right click an mp3 file it doesn’t show MP3tag…

I’m actually downloading MP3Tag at this particular moment, so I’ll probably answer my own question soon, but:

I would have assumed that you DON’T run the program on your device (e.g., Clip)…you run it on the library on your computer.  You then transfer songs using your method of choice, with your new-and-improved tags.  No?

(Maybe with a larger unit–like the 16GB View–it would be a pain to reload the updated songs.  So then it makes more sense to run it on the device?)

-Matt

If I don’t totally misunderstand what y’all are talking about:

You SHOULD be able to run MP3Tag on the Clip’s contents if it’s in MSC mode, since then it’s recognized as a drive. Come to think of it, this post is really redundant, but I’ll post it anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

@sansamatt wrote:

I’m actually downloading MP3Tag at this particular moment, so I’ll probably answer my own question soon, but:

I would have assumed that you DON’T run the program on your device (e.g., Clip)…you run it on the library on your computer.  You then transfer songs using your method of choice, with your new-and-improved tags.  No?

(Maybe with a larger unit–like the 16GB View–it would be a pain to reload the updated songs.  So then it makes more sense to run it on the device?)

-Matt

It’s my understanding that you would run it on the computer itself, erase what’s on your device, then re-load your device with the update files :wink: however, I could be wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

@eliasf wrote:

Heheh, you said Auto-Defect… :stuck_out_tongue:

Too much blood in your coffee-stream, Tapeworm, or are you trying to tell us something? :smileyvery-happy:

‘Typo’ was intentional. I prefer to set either in MTP or MSC as needed and not depend on the ‘Auto’ setting. :wink:

@ackers wrote:
How do you use MP3tag with the Clip?? In MSC mode when I right click an mp3 file it doesn’t show MP3tag…

If you want to be able to do this, you have to enable the option when installing MP3Tag. Otherwise, simply launch the program like you would any other, then navigate to the directory-folder-file you want to edit.

@marvin_martian wrote:

It’s my understanding that you would run it on the computer itself, erase what’s on your device, then re-load your device with the update files :wink: however, I could be wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had very good success editing tags in MP3Tag on files located on my player, even though conventional advice is to correct it on the computer; delete the file from the player, and then transfer over the corrected version from the computer.

Editing while on the device saves a LOT of time! The only time I’ve had problems with this method is when the memory is very close to being full (either internal or external uSD card). If there is less space available in the memory than what the size of the song file is that you are trying to correct or edit, you will get an error msg. and it won’t write. So in that case, you have to do it the long way.

Of course you have to remember that if you also have a ‘back-up’ copy of this song in your Music Library on your computer’s hard drive, you need to correct this copy also, otherwise in the case of re-formatting where you have to load all your music back onto your player, you will have a bunch of in-correct tags, and will have to go through all of this again. :wink:

@ackers wrote:

If you want to be able to have MP3Tag as an option in the right-click context-menu, you have to enable it when installing MP3Tag. Otherwise, simply launch the program like you would any other, then navigate to the directory-folder-file you want to edit.

@tapeworm wrote:

@ackers wrote:

If you want to be able to have MP3Tag as an option in the right-click context-menu, you have to enable it when installing MP3Tag. Otherwise, simply launch the program like you would any other, then navigate to the directory-folder-file you want to edit.

I did that but it only shows in the context menu on my computer, not my Clip. It works in MTP mode however but I put my mp3s on my Clip in MSC mode…