64GB Ultra Fit stopped working, until I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port

On March 12 I ordered two SanDisk 64GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drives, model #SDCZ430-064G-G46, from Amazon. They’ve worked well for the past two months, but a couple of days ago, the main drive that I use wouldn’t respond when I plugged it in. I tried it numerous times on at least four different computers. None of them would even recognize that I was plugging a device in. After about 15-20 times of trying, I accidentally plugged the drive into a USB 2.0 port rather than a USB 3.0 port. That time, for whatever reason, I heard the normal Windows 10 chime I get when plugging in a USB device. The drive was recognized, and I could access my files again. I ejected the drive normally, then plugged the drive back into a USB 3.0 port. It worked just fine. The drive has worked well with several different computers since that time, but the incident has left me concerned about the safety of the data I have stored on the drive. I use SanDisk flash drives and microSD cards exclusively and have never experienced an issue like this before. Is this normal behavior that can occasionally happen or is this indicative of an issue with the drive? Could it be going bad? Should I stop using the drive?

Thank you.

Contacts, plugs and outlet ones, can get dirty. Smoke, grease, fingers, etc. About once a year I have to clean a USB port on my computer. I use emory paper and just a light touch and then the port works again.

To be safe be sure you have backups of the files on the USB drive.

Those are all great suggestions, but I’ve had this thing for two months, not two decades. My devices are never around smoke or grease and fingers really don’t get into the contacts of either the drive or the port (you may want to modify the way you hold your device if yours do), so I really don’t think being dirty is a factor. Besides that, if they were dirty enough to cause connectivity issues with a USB 3 port, it stands to reason that they’d have similar issues with a USB 2.0 port. Connecting once to a USB 2.0 port was what seemed to fix the issue, at least so far.

I agree that all of my files need to be backed up somewhere else, and usually they are, but sometimes there may be a day or two before I get files moved between all devices.

Either way, this drive seems way too new to be acting up in this manner.

Still, thanks for your reply and the suggestions.

FYI USB3 uses different contacts than USB2.