32gb cruzer blade music limits?

Hi folks,

Got a query regarding my Sandisk 32gb cruzer blade.Basically I’m using it to store music which I can then play on my car or home stereo.

When I check the properties of the blade it states that there is 20.6gb of free space…which should be easily enough for me.

I’m currently transferring music over to the blade from my cd collection but have come up with a problem…

When I plug it into my laptop and check inside the music folder(of the blade!)it lists all of the music which I’ve put on there…

But…when I plug it into my car or home stereo it doesn’t play certain albums even though they are put on there in the exact same way as all the rest.

Sorry for the long winded question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance,Gary.

1. Unless you have other files stored on the drive 20.6GB seems awfully low for a 32GB drive capacity. It should be closer to ~28GB.

2. Like a portable music player, you cannot just copy CD’s to a drive and expect them to play in a car stereo or even computer. A CD drive uses a laser to read the data imprinted on a spinning CD. When you simply copy that file to a flash drive or other storage medium, it does not spin nor is there a laser to read it.

You must first convert or ‘rip’ the CD into a readable format your computer or car stereo can decypher like .mp3. Windows Media Player (probably already on your computer) can do this for you, or there are a number of other programs that will do it too. Some are free; others cost for a ‘premium’ version that will do it.

Hi,thanks for the reply,but…

1. I’ve already got quite a bit of music on the blade,

2. I believe I mentioned that I’ve put some music on the blade already,using WMP as well as dBpoweramp.I may be getting on in years(43)but I’m not that incompetent.

The query was to ascertain the reason why the new music which I was transferring onto the blade(using the above programs)was not playing on either my car or home stereo even though it states that it is on there when I plug it back into my laptop…as well as having 20.6gb left.

Regards,Gary.

Like a portable music player, you cannot just copy CD’s to a drive and expect them to play in a car stereo or even computer."

Then how do you account for this?

"when I plug it into my car or home stereo it doesn’t play certain albums "

Not all albums, just certain ones.

And I’m cross posting.  Sorry.

Is it possible some of the albums have a security tag that prevents them from being copied?  Rather played, if copied.

Cheers for the reply Ed,

Not too sure about the security angle as it’s a fairly mixed bag of new cd’s plus ones that I’ve had for ages that are causing the problem.

Just can’t get my head around the reason why the albums are not playing even though I’m able to play every song/album when I manually play them through WMP etc.(Picking individual songs from the blade)

Kind regards,Gary.

Check the specs for your car and home stereos.  It’s possible they only support flash drives up to a certain size.  It’s also possible they don’t support FAT32 as well as FAT16.

BTW Did you format the blade?  Formating adds a MBR and partition table to the drive and maybe the steroes can’t handle them.

@gazeebo wrote:

I believe I mentioned that I’ve put some music on the blade already,using WMP as well as dBpoweramp.I may be getting on in years(43)but I’m not that incompetent.

Sorry for the mis-understanding, but we can’t assume anything here and no, you did not mention that you ripped the CD’s to a readable format prior to transferring them to the drive. We’ve had many people post here, unfamilar with different audio formats, etc. that did not know that CD’s needed to be converted.

As fas as some playing and other not, is there any similarlity in the ones that don’t play like maybe they’re .wma format perhaps? Windows Media Player rips to this format by default; if you want to rip in .mp3 format you must change the rip settings. Additionally, WMP adds “copy protection” by default as well to its .wma files which will prevent playing in multiple devices. This also is a setting that can be changed, but if you don’t notice the checkbox and un-tick it, that could be your problem if any of what you’re ripping is in .wma format.

Hi folks,

Firstly many thanks for the replies…

I may have been a bit short with my reply as well Tapeworm so I apologise.I get frustrated when seemingly easy things don’t work etc.

Anyway,back to the problem…

Firstly Ed’s points…I can’t seem to find any info about my car or home stereo and whether they only support upto a certain size of flash drive and I can only assume that they both are able to play FAT32/FAT16.

I didn’t format the blade before I used it,just bunged it in and started putting music onto it.

Now Tapeworms’s…When I began to use WMP and/or dBpoweramp I made sure that I had them both recording/ripping in the .mp3 format as I thought that would give me a better sound quality but perhaps a more/higher bit rate(or whatever it’s called).

I may have found the answer though thanks to you guys…I borrowed my son’s memory stick and transferred the music which wasn’t being played from my cruzer blade to his and lo and behold the music on his memory stick plays on my car and home stereo.

From that I can only assume that both my car and home stereo can only play upto a certain amount.Another quite major telling point is when I plugged my cruzer blade into my home stereo and checked what was on there it stated that there were 75 folders/albums and a total of 996 minutes of songs…perhaps a maximum of a 1000 minutes is all my poor stereo can handle!! and possibly the one in my car as well.

That leaves me with the notion that I can only buy about 8gb memory sticks/blades in future as it’s a waste of money/space forking out for a 32gb or 16 when I’m not able to fully use it…or is it?

Thanks again for your help,Gary.