32 gb sd card not working right

so i put about 2 gb folders + files on there but once i try it on the player it says the cards empty , now back on the pc i tried 

mtp : sd card showed up empty (even though 2gb used space was indicated)

msc : well, it showed SOME of my files, all folders were named weirdly by numeric numbers as instead of the original names, only half the files are displayed (1gb) while again 2 gb used space is indicated

yesterday when i put my folders on there everything was shown and displayed CORRECTLY , maybe after disconnection of the pc the player messed up the file system or so…

can i get back to the original state with the correct showing of the content?

i am a bit confused by all the output and the various modes . is it possible to handle the 32 sd card at all? which mode is the best way to go ? how can i see all the data that i put on the card ?

The best mode to use is MSC, unless you use protected files. Protected files need to be transferred in MTP mode, using a program that will transfer the licenses. For unprotected files(mp3 files are all unprotected), you can transfer them to the player using Windows Explorer copy and paste.

The Sandisk players might have issues playing protected files from card memory. If you have protected files, it is best to put them in main memory.

The best thing to do is to delete all the files on the card first. You might need to connect the player twice to do this, switching the usb mode between connections. Then set the usb mode to MSC(assuming you have no proptected files), and copy and paste the music to the player.

The Clip+ has a song limit of around 8,000 although some reach the limit with much less if they have embedded album art, or long tags, long filenames, folder names, deeply nested files etc.

dont think the mp3s i have are protected. the problem is something different

my main conern now is that i can only see and access half of the data that is on there

btw the INTERNAL memory also shows up empty in msc on the pc , is there an issue with my player? would a update of firmware be good for this ? 

@jk98 wrote:

The best thing to do is to delete all the files on the card first. You might need to connect the player twice to do this, switching the usb mode between connections. Then set the usb mode to MSC(assuming you have no proptected files), and copy and paste the music to the player.

hm isnt that what i wrote i did ? i assume you mean not changing the modes “while” connected via usb… other than that i have tried both modes back and forth like i said. on the one mode theres nothing, on the other theres only half of the stuff

what can i do 

i just got this idea:

it is not a sd card by sandisk btw !! i do not know if this is important ?  maybe its only compatible with its own brand?

MP3 files are never protected. Some WMA files are protected though, as well as some other formats.

"btw the INTERNAL memory also shows up empty in msc on the pc "

That means your music was transferred to the player in MTP mode. When the player is set to autoconnect, it might connect in MTP or MSC. The issue is that the player was set to autoconnect for the USB mode. delete the files on the card, then set the player to MSC for the usb mode, reconnect it, and copy the songs to it again. Since you have no protected music, keep the usb mode at MSC. If you ever update the firmware, the USB mode needs to be reset afterwards to MSC.

another thing thats weird this time for the normal players INTERNAL MEMORY:

in msc it shows nothing when connected to pc, only in mtp mode it shows sometimes all the files and sometimes the same problem as with the sd card happens, ie. it only shows part of it and with folders renamed numerically. i can remember it used to work in msc , whats up with the mode’s chaos? whats helping in these scenarios ? 

what i did so far settings wise before:

-i reset the system configurations to reset the volume level to a higher level using REGION : NORTH AMERICA instead EUROPE in the reset system menu.

-i switched between mtp and msc cause i didnt know what these meant, maybe it so happened that i drag+dropped some files on the player not consistently in one mode but in at times in both modes and it so got messed up

would a firmware even help maybe?  or another resetting of the systems setting?

i shouldnt be the first with these problems

ok i will do that with the internal memory, but the problem with the sd card is still going, meaning i cannot even save the files (and i deleted the originals) before formatting and restarting. should there be a problem with sd cards not by sandisk?

from what i can see i have 3 options, either try resetting the system settings again, or updateing firmware or even use linux and see what i can read . 

Set the usb mode on the player to MTP and you may see some of the files on your pc. Copy those to your pc hard drive, then delete them from the player. Disconnect the player. Set the USB mode to MSC and you will see the other files on your pc. Copy those to your pc hard drive. Copy the MSC transferred files to your player.

In the future always keep copies of what is on your player also on your pc. You might need to reformat your player, or it might break, get lost, or get stolen. Also make backup copies of the music in case there is a problem with your pc.

Other high quality brands of cards will also work on your player, however some Sandisk players have problems with some class 10 cards. I suggest people use class 4 cards.

you mean only AFTER i transfered +deleted in one mode the files will appear in the other mode? cause right now it is not like i said. but i will try if you mean this

Hi

I had the same problem but it is now sorted.  I have an 8GB Scandisk Clip+ with an external 32GB micro-SD card.  Initially, the player would not recognise anything at all on the card.  It kept on displaying ‘empty’ on the player.  Please do not waste time trying to make the player do this as it is no use at all for quite complex reasons.

Just download a program called Rockbox from the net, which is free source.  Next, download the firmware for your player by going to the Scandisk website.

Run the installation for Rockbox and it will at some point ask you where the firmware for the player is on your hard drive.  Show it, continue the installation and this program instantly allows the external card to be recognised.  You are also able to transfer files using a micro-SD adapter for lightning quick transfer of files from your PC to the card.  Transferring files from PC to player directly is much slower.

This solved everything for me and I have been using this for a long time now.  Believe me, I initially trawled many forums looking for an answer - this is it.  Happy listening!

MAVERIQUE

Rockbox has its own issues though. Aside from the added complexity, loading Rockbox on a player might make it permanently unable to play protected files. There is also a small chance that Rockbox could brick the player. Learn about the risks of Rockbox before trying it. Putting Rockbox on a player will also void the warranty.

well i  actually had rockbox downloaded already, but that was on the last point on my todo list to get my files back, is there a chance too that these files are lost  ? would that be possible

i tried “recover my files” on it but that would not find much

i try knoppix now for file recovery and then i might try the 2 modes option. and then i might try rockbox

You can try checking for the files in the opposite mode (that is if in MSC mode, try MTP, or the reverse). If they’re not visible in either mode, then they’re probably gone.

@jk98 wrote:

Rockbox has its own issues though. Aside from the added complexity, loading Rockbox on a player might make it permanently unable to play protected files. There is also a small chance that Rockbox could brick the player. Learn about the risks of Rockbox before trying it. Putting Rockbox on a player will also void the warranty.

Protected files? Who uses those anyways?

:wink:

Some people use protected files, such as borrowing an e-book from the library. Some use Audible. Others use subscription music. There are some who have Slotradio cards.