would a new sansa fix this?

I no longer believe it has anything to do with the strength of the FM signal, that causes the infamous ticking when recording.    It must be electrical interference on the particular frequency i want to record.

much weaker signals i can record no problem once adjusting the atenna.    I wonder if anyone think that replacing the sansa would fix the problem?    maybe another sansa will write to the disk with a slightly diff pitch that doesn’t interfere with my favorite station?   I’m about to go drive towards the station like another user suggested just to make sure.

also i notice a little bit of squealing when saving a recording of that station.    as its saving or deleting it makes some high pitch noises u might hear on your pc sometimes when writing to hardrive as you are listening to winamp for example.

thats what confirmed for me it is electrical interference from sansa and nothing to do with strenght of the signal.

Are the programs  you are recording talk programs? If so, they might sound better if you convert them to 32 kbps, as the noise may be mostly in the higher frequencies, which are diminished greatly in the 32 kbps version.

no they are music.  i’m gonna ride to a diff neighborhood today and see if same thing happens.

I know somebody who records the same station as me with a sansa fuze with no probs.    So i’m gonn drive to good range and see if have same problem.

If you are going to a new area you are changing 2 things. The first is the area you are in, the second is the signal strength.

If it works get your friend with the other Fuze to come to your location and try to record. If they get the same static as you then you know there is a location EMF interfering with your recording. If not then your Fuze needs a better signal strength than your friends.

It sounds like you are asking for a perfect audio version of something that is being broadcast by radio. If you want particular music, mp3 downloads are the best way to go. Recording stuff from the live radio will always be what it has always been. Prone to interference and abnormal noise.

@boburanus wrote:
It sounds like you are asking for a perfect audio version of something that is being broadcast by radio. If you want particular music, mp3 downloads are the best way to go. Recording stuff from the live radio will always be what it has always been. Prone to interference and abnormal noise.

I use my fuze a lot for playing back a 4 hour nationally broadcast radio show, that is on daily.  I would never consider using the fuze as the recording device, even though it probably could do it in a pinch.

I have a well regarded 1980’s era stereo receiver with an outstanding FM section connected to a nice outside antenna.  This receiver is connected to one of my computers, where I have installed a great software recorder that incorporates a timer function.  Painlessly and automatically it records this radio show in great fidelity daily with no input from me.  I even have the option of automatically encoding this recording to my encoder of choice…again without any input from me.

Nightly, it takes me all of 30 seconds to tag the audio file and transfer it to my fuze…and it always sounds wonderful.

I do have the option of downloading the same radio show (for a fee) at the host’s website; but they only offer it in a very highly compressed mp3 format.  My off-air version sounds 100% better and I don’t have to pay someone to get it… (other than the investment of the recorder software, which I would have purchased anyway).

For every task, there are multiple ways in arriving at your goal.  I’m not saying my method is for everyone…I just know it works great and is right for me:smiley: