Windows XP Driver needed?

I think it’s legit for MS to ask you to update using their software (WMP) as long as it’s free. A lot of software have prerequisites, such as open source pdf printer driver PDF995 and apps that use VB.

At least one of the reasons for MTP is to handle subscription music. It is also used by certain cameras. Also, I suppose MS think the very non techie type of user will do better with a wizard or an application like WMP rather than creating folders and worrying about where to put them. Rhapsordy is is more like Itunes, is supposed to work with Sansa products and I thought it was a nicer interface than WMP, but since I don’t use either one perhaps I’m in no position to judge.

Thank you so much for posting how to get my clip to be recognized.  I even tried chatting with a tech and I didn’t get much help.  To think that just a few clicks of a button and BOOM there it was.  Thank you.

I’ve read through this thread and have tried all the fixes.  I am still having a problem getting my music from my Sansa Clip to show in the drive on my computer.  When I plug in the USB, the computer recognizes it, even calls it “Sansa Clip”, shows that it’s memory is almost maxed out, but I cannot access any of the songs.  In the folder it’s just subfolders: “Voice”, Audible", “Record” and some other random files.  I recently reloaded my C: and have been updating a lot of stuff.  I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, no fix.  Any advice?

FlyMikeFly wrote:
In the folder it’s just subfolders: “Voice”, Audible", “Record” and some other random files.  I recently reloaded my C: and have been updating a lot of stuff.  I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, no fix.  Any advice?

You might try un-hiding the hidden folders in Windows.

Could it be a USB mode issue? 

When your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode (set under the player’s Settings/USB Mode), your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode.  Likewise as to MTP mode.  Regardless, all the files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.

A good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP:  on the Auto setting, the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode. 

Because MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer), some people prefer MSC mode.  However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode–they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode. 

This worked for me, that rocks.

Went to the main menu, settings, and usb setting, set it to MSC and right after that windows detected it as a removable disk Sansa Clipp. 

Thanks jjack_9999

win xp SP3  

Great!  To finish off matters:  if you have files on your Clip transferred over under MTP mode, to keep matters uniform, you might want to switch back to MTP mode; transfer the Clip’s files to your computer; switch the Clip to MSB mode; and then transfer the files back to your Clip.  That way, you have everything under MSC mode. 

if anyone here is having trouble with their sansa clip not being recognized by the computer especially window vista.

click start, control panel, administrative tools, computer management, look for portable device, click on sansa clip, click driver, click uninstall, then wait, then click on update driver, once it is finished your back on track :slight_smile:

I´ve tried the msc and mtp method but it didn´t work. And I already have windows media player 11 installed.

Nothing appears in my computer. and when I plug it on the pc it says: found new hardware - a problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly. what should I do?

When I first got my Sansa Clip a year or two ago it worked just fine and dandy. Then the other day I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows XP, it started having the same trouble, not charging, or showing up in “my computer” and the under the hardware tab in systems it was showing that the driver was faulty. So i went into the setting on my sansa clip as someone sugested and changed it to msc instead of auto-detect. That did the trick, and voila Im hooked up again, now if only all the rest of my hardware was that simple… still have tons of other issues, but this is not the venue for my woes of running XP on a machine built for Vista.

That device not to bad, I got the same problems and fix it : goto menu -\> setting -\> USB and choose "MSC" (auto by default, some computers do not run ) Windows XP SP2. US version

works

Then you were using MTP mode or possibly auto.

Ignore my message, it was a reply wayback, don’t know why it went to the end of the queue.

The USB mode setting works on MSC in XP but in MTP the Device Manager shows a “?.”   WMA audio books downloaded from Overdrive and  transfered under MTP in XP will stop working in a few hours and ask for a license.  MP3 audio books work fine. However WMA downloaded from Overdrive MUST be trnasfered with MTP if you want to listen to the entire book.  I could only do that with Windows 7.