Why is Flash Drive deleting my documents

I purchased a 16 GB Glide Flash Drive.  I am a new laptop owner and my new computer was prompting me to backup the factory installed operating system (Windows 8).  I researched how large of a flash drive to purchase (16 was adequate).  Upon inserting the usb, I registered it but passed on the junky software installs offered.  I then had 3 things to copy on it:  

1.  My computer password configuration

2.  My factory installed operating system

3.  My utilities and drivers

Problem:  When I transfered my small password configuration document, that went fine but I decided to delete all the other junk files that came with the flash drive.  Then, I tried to backup my operating system and I got a prompt stating that the usb flash drive needed to be formatted to transfer the documents and all data on it would be lost.  So, I lost the first item I loaded on it.  Then, when I tried to transfer the utilities and drivers onto it, I again got a prompt stating that all data on the usb drive would be erased to do the transfer because it needed to be formatted.  There is plenty of room for the files.  Why is the usb drive deleting everything on it each time I try to transfer something onto it?

Also, I’m now concerned that when I registered the flash drive that it may have put some junk files on my computer and I’d like to remove them but I do not know where to look for them.  Any help from forum members would be appreciated.

"I tried to backup my operating system and I got a prompt stating that the usb flash drive needed to be formatted to transfer the documents and all data on it would be lost."

when I tried to transfer the utilities and drivers onto it, I again got a prompt stating that all data on the usb drive would be erased to do the transfer because it needed to be formatted.”

"Why is the usb drive deleting everything on it each time I try to transfer something onto it?

A better question is what are you using to do your backups because that is what is most likely doing the formating, not the USB drive.  And since you failed to name the backup utility we can’t answer the why format part.

when I registered the flash drive that it may have put some junk files on my computer

Unlikely IMO.  Besides you already have junk files on the computer, Windows 8.  :smileyvery-happy:

It sounds like you need more information from me.  The name of my backup utility.  

Again, this is a brand new Dell laptop that I have only had a few days.  I received a prompt from the computer stating that I needed to backup my factory installed operating system either to disks or a usb so that if anything happened, I could do a recovery.  I guess that would be a Dell backup utility, but honestly I’m not quite sure how to answer your question.  You seem to be implying that the overwrite/formatting issue is from Dell and not a prompt from SanDisk.

Again, any ideas for being to achieve my goal of backing up my operating sys is appreciated.  It seems to me, under normal circumstances, that I should just be able to backup my operating sys and drivers to a usb drive, no problem as long as it has enough room.

You seem to be implying that the overwrite/formatting issue is from Dell and not a prompt from SanDisk.”

Yup.  And I have no idea what the Dell app is doing but it’s not uncommon for backup apps now days to do an image backup of a whole drive, especially the OS drive.  And that would include everything on the drive including the drivers.  I don’t understand how your Dell is backing up your system that requires a separate backup of the drivers.

You might have better luck finding answers to your questions on a Dell forum.

Did your flash drive infect virus?

Try antivirus software  to scan your flash drive first.

if you lose data from flash drive, here is an article help to perform flash card recovery:

http://www.any-data-recovery.com/topics/photo/flash-card-recovery.html

Problem solved.  When copying onto the usb, Dell Operating System Backup states “all data will be lost, press yes to continue or no to cancel.”  Ok, my interpretation of that is that it is going to erase everything currently on my usb.  No, apparently, that means that Dell is telling me to backup or else I will lose everything on my computer.  So, this is all a misunderstanding of what the prompt meant to me.  

Dell Operating System Backup states “all data will be lost, press yes to continue or no to cancel.”  Ok, my interpretation of that is that it is going to erase everything currently on my usb.”

I agree with that interpetation.  If that isn’t true the msg is wrong and needs to be corrected.  You should write to Dell and tell them or check their forums and see if others have the situation.

Or, according to this document: https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SOFTWARE/DBRM/UG/DBRM1_2UG_A01.pdf Chapter 4 page 12, the drive is only erased if the option to make it bootable is checked.

you may try data recovery tool to recover files from flash drive, see this step by step guide

flash drive data recovery

it’s easy to follow and works well for me last time. Hope that it helps you too.

Wow!!  $39.95!!  Your SPAM app is expensive jameskasmonr.