When is 32GB micrSDHC card coming out?

I just got my Clip+ and I love it.  I was about to purchase a 16GB card for it but I read online that there are 32GB cards coming out soon.  Does anyone know when?  A few articles said they were supposed to be out already (like last summer) but I don’t see anyone selling them.

thanks

You’ll waste your money.  The clip plus can only support up to 16gb cards.

mags1230 wrote:

Says who?

The 32GB cards should work just fine. The next size after that, the 64GB will be the new SHXC format and will require different hardware to take advantage of the ‘X-treme Capacity’.

As far as when to expect the 32’s?

Heard a rumor though, that they’re going to start out at $200.

OUCH! :dizzy_face:

mags1230 wrote:

Says who?

The 32GB cards should work just fine. The next size after that, the 64GB will be the new SDXC format and will require different hardware to take advantage of the ‘X-treme Capacity’.

As far as when to expect the 32’s?

Heard a rumor though, that they’re going to start out at $200.

OUCH! :dizzy_face:

@tapeworm wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

Says who?

That’s according to the ultimate authority, the sandisk knowledge base…

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4986/kw/clip%20plus%20highest%20micr

…and his sidekick, the Quick Start Guide.

mags1230 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

Says who?

That’s according to the ultimate authority, the sandisk knowledge base…

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4986/kw/clip%20plus%20highest%20micr

…and his sidekick, the Quick Start Guide.

Of course it says up to 16 gig cards. There arnt any 32 gig cards yet. It is limited by whats available. Neither of us will know what the Clip+ is totally capable of until there is something to test it. Anythingbutipod seems to think it would work since they tested it the only way they could. I dont know if this will change with a micro card but check this out

Anything but Ipod Tests with Adapter

It isn’t just a matter of when it comes out, but how expensive it will be. If it is over $150 there may be little demand for it. Even if it is around $100, the demand might not be so great. If it is under $70 though, then demand might be very great.

Considering the announced release date was the first half of 2009, I’m wondering if the price is one of the reasons for delay too.  I don’t know many people with 16gb cards, is the demand there for 32gb cards?  Beyond the niche users I mean (I would buy one! or maybe two)

I guess the card makers are worried that 16 GB and 8 GB micro SDHC cards will drop significantly in price if the 32 GB micro SDHC card is released at a low enough price, or that if the 32 GB micro SDHC cards are released at a price that is too high they may sell very poorly. The focus is on when the first 64 GB SDXC cards will be released, then speculation about if or when there will be micro SDXC cards. It seems like the card makers don’t want to rush new cards, as it will decrease the prices on existing capacities.

Cowabunga!  The device can indeed read 32GB devices.  The biggest dilemma I have with the µSD card is finding a really cool wallet for the wee beasties.  I’ve found a few prospects at SanDisk, like the SlotRadio case.  Color coding them has been handy too.

I think the only issue would be the memory device thickness as the µSD card has its physical limitations.  This may be a factor in the price of a 32GB device as small as a µSDHC card, but the engineering behind them is solid indeed.  The five year warranty makes for peace of mind.

Timing is everything with electronics and innovation.  I’d love the red extreme color on the card, personally.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Bob, where did you get that 32GB card???

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/images/40gbclip-3.jpg

I  bought a 64 GB microSD card with adapter for about $60.00 US.  I had problems getting the 8GB Clip+ to read it until I formatted it.  I found something somewhere that said to format it to FAT32.  I couldn’t get that done on  my Win XP machine but connected it to a MacBook and formatted (partitioned) it for PC then it worked.  I currently have 6,730 songs on my Clip+. 

The why is a long story, but it is all there  :o) 

When I put the uSD card in with all that music loaded on it the unit worked a LONG time to get all the music recognized or whatever it alled it.  The progress bar seemed frozen but it moved ever so slowly and finally made it all the way across (I think it acutally took an hour or maybe more).

Now to rig up external power for the little bugger  :o)

To avoid the unacceptably long refresh time, you might want to use the alternate Rockbox firmware.  That also eliminates the lower SanDisk file limit.