MicroSDHC memory capability

Can the Clip+ recognize and use a 32Gb MicroSDHC card? If the standard is upgraded to the theoretical 2Tb limit, what’s the highest that the Clip+ can address?

Yes, if you use an external adaptor. Currently the largest Micro SDHC card is 16GB.

32GB will be the last (and largest) in this format series. The next-gen will be the SDXC which will start at 64GB.

And no, the current devices that that use the SDHC format won’t be able to see the XC. So everything that you have that benefits from this form of memory expansion (cell phones, digital cameras, mp3 players, etc.) will be obsolete as far as the new technology is concerned.

32gb should be coming out very soon. It is being mass produced this month and ready to be marketed next month or during April, according to this article I read.

Xexex wrote:
32gb should be coming out very soon. It is being mass produced this month and ready to be marketed next month or during April, according to this article I read.

And they’ll probably cost $100 each! :dizzy_face:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Xexex wrote:

Given that the 16GB card, when it came out was retailing at $119 - $120 I’d day the 32 will probably be at least twice that.

I had to wait about 6 months before the market drove the price down to what I consdered reasonable enough to buy, $50. :dizzy_face:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Xexex wrote:

And they'll probably cost $100 each! :dizzy_face:

Given that the 16GB card, when it came out was retailing at $119 - $129 I'd day the 32 will probably be at least twice that.

I had to wait about 6 months before the market drove the price down to what I consdered reasonable enough to buy, $50. I'd jump on one at $100. :dizzy_face:

Xexex wrote:

Given that the 16GB card when it came out was retailing at $119 - $129, I’d say the 32 will probably be at least twice that.

I had to wait about 6 months before the market drove the price down to what I consdered reasonable enough to buy one, $50.

I’d jump on one in a heartbeat at $100. :wink:

Imo $100 is too much for a 32 GB micro SDHC card. I might be interested in buying one when the price gets under $60.

JK98 wrote:
Imo $100 is too much for a 32 GB micro SDHC card. I might be interested in buying one when the price gets under $60.

You’ll be waiting quite a while for that…even a 32GB full size SDHC card isn’t that cheap, and they’ve already been out for a while.

Flash memory card prices have been very stable over the past year and imo are due for a decline. I have resisted buying a 16 GB  micro SDHC card as I want one that is class 4 or class 6, but don’t want to pay more than $30 for it. I saw a 16 GB micro SDHC card last year for $35 but wasn’t tempted enough to buy it since it was just class 2.  I bought an 8 GB class 4 micro SDHC card last year for $20. I find that an 8 GB card is a good size for me, and a 16 GB one would be a bit of a luxury. A 32 GB one would be an extravagance. I am much more interested in getting a 16 GB micro SDHC card than a 32 GB one, and expect the prices on the 16 GB micro SDHC cards to drop with the introduction of 32 GB micro SDHC cards.

Message Edited by JK98 on 02-09-2010 01:14 AM

I’m actually debating on whether or not it’s worth it to buy a microsdhc card for my Clip+ when it gets here. I can still fit a lot of music on an 8GB player, and given that I already have a 16GB player, and another 8GB player, and also all that I have read recently about Clip+ and Fuze refresh times, maybe I won’t bother with a card at all, and just cover the hole with scotch tape.

If you want a Clip+ and not that much storage, a 2 GB Clip+ and an 8 GB micro SDHC card might be cheaper than an 8 GB Clip+. It seems like now the 2 GB Clip+ is $39, the 4 GB $45, and the 8 GB $62.  An 8 GB Clip+ would be better though if you plan to get a Slotradio card, so you could keep the Slotradio card in the player all the time. There are now Slotradio+ cards though, that are Slotradio cards with 4 GB of free space.

JK98 wrote:
If you want a Clip+ and not that much storage, a 2 GB Clip+ and an 8 GB micro SDHC card might be cheaper than an 8 GB Clip+. It seems like now the 2 GB Clip+ is $39, the 4 GB $45, and the 8 GB $62.  An 8 GB Clip+ would be better though if you plan to get a Slotradio card, so you could keep the Slotradio card in the player all the time. There are now Slotradio+ cards though, that are Slotradio cards with 4 GB of free space.

The 8GB is already in the mail, and frankly I have no intentions of ever buying a SlotRadio card. I see what you mean about the pricing though, with 8GB cards as cheap as they are(at least online). I’m not saying I won’t ever buy a card for the slot, but not right away.