What video files CAN the Fuze play?

Ok, I didnt expect this thing to run any videos like a laptop, but i’m surprised I cannot get any AVI or wmv files to work that need to have a DiVX decoder for video and or audio. Half the videos I put into the convertor software wouldn’t even run, they just sat there not doing anything.

Exactly how cripped is the Fuze in regards to videos?

The video format the Fuze uses is .avi. Dd you run them through the Sansa Media Converter?

.avi is just a container isn’t it? You can have many different formats within an .avi file can’t you? Mpeg4, Divx, Xvid etc. Please correct me if I’m using incorrect terminology.

Can the Fuze play Divx encoded files for instance?

@freezebyte wrote:

Exactly how cripped is the Fuze in regards to videos?

Fairly crippled.  You often have to use one of the various good converters (like super, etc.) to pre-convert your videos into a format palatable to SMC.  I haven’t messed too much with it, but I believe it uses mpeg4 in an avi container.

Video is definitely not one of the Fuze’s strengths.  On the plus side, sansafix has posted that they are looking at removing the requirement for SMC in a future FW.   A conversion to the Fuze’s supported format would still be required, but at least you could use a good converter at that point and not have to deal with the anemic SMC.

@badcam wrote:

.avi is just a container isn’t it? You can have many different formats within an .avi file can’t you? Mpeg4, Divx, Xvid etc. Please correct me if I’m using incorrect terminology.

Can the Fuze play Divx encoded files for instance?

Checking the properties of the videos I’ve successfully converted that play on my Fuze, it lists:

• Frame Rate - 20fps
  • Data Rate - 99kbps
  • Video Sample Size - 32 bit
  • Video Compression - DivX

@tapeworm wrote:

Checking the properties of the videos I’ve successfully converted that play on my Fuze, it lists:

• Frame Rate - 20fps
  • Data Rate - 99kbps
  • Video Sample Size - 32 bit
  • Video Compression - DivX

Thanks.

You mean if i convert a video onto these specification and drag and drop it to the videos folder on the fuze without converting using SMC i can get the video to work on the fuze?

@sr_rox wrote:
You mean if i convert a video onto these specification and drag and drop it to the videos folder on the fuze without converting using SMC i can get the video to work on the fuze?

I think he’s saying that’s what they ended up as aftergoing through SMC.

I use anydvdconverter, which converts them to .avi and then use smc to put them on my memory card.  I’ve done little movies and full length movies and tv shows.  If the movie is very short, like a 10 minute video, sometimes I don’t have to even use the anydvdconvert.  I think 97% of the videos covnerted from ADC has worked on the fuze, and a small percent the ADC didn’t even convert.  And I have about 60 movies and tv shows on a bunch of little memory cards.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@sr_rox wrote:

I think he’s saying that’s what they ended up as aftergoing through SMC.

This is indeed what I meant and these ‘Properties’ were from files already converted with SMC. The ‘converted’ files before SMC conversion show identical properties except for the video sample size is 24 instead of 32, and the data rate varies from 87kbps to 94kbps.

divx 5

224x176

20fps

mp3 stereo

i use WinAVI then copy them straight to my G:\VIDEO folder

1. you cannot seek, but the a/v is in sync for even 3 hour movies (Lord of the rings)

2. if you take these THEN wash them through the SMC, you can seek, but the AV is horribly broken

take your pick

Confused on that one…by “seek” do you mean “fast forward”?

Is WINavi an app that comes with Windows?

Man,i have all kinds of videos on my memory card.What i do is convert them no matter what file form they’re in to an avi.(using anyvideo converter) like for example xvid which uses less mb’s.Yeah,the SMC can be a temperamental pain but,i’ve had great success this way with hours of videos.Right now i have thirty one hour tv shows,one ninety minute movie and fifteen 1/2 hour TV shows.Not bad i’d say.