What should I do? Opinions welcome

This is probably a stupid question, but I have (eventually - after a month of waiting and several frustrating phonecalls to Sansa support) recieved a Sansa Fuze as a replacement for a Sanza Clip that became faulty. I really wanted the clip as it has a clip and is tiny, but it seems i have scored a good deal. Should I ask for a replacement clip or am i entitled to keep the fuze?

Message Edited by akay on 09-11-2009 04:06 PM

I guess they ran out of Clips, and didn’t want to send you a new Clip+. I have The Clip, Clip+, and Fuze. The Clip+ and the Fuze are both worth having. The Clip+ is basically a Clip with a card slot. The Fuze is better for its longer battery and scroll wheel, and the Clip+ is better for its small size and built in Clip. I guess a Fuze is better than a Clip, but not necessarily better than a Clip+. the Fuze and Clip+ also have folder browsing, while the Clip doesn’t(will there be a firmware update to give the Clip folder browsing?). I say keep the Fuze, and if you want a smaller player as well with a built in Clip(perhaps for use while working out?) then get a Clip+. I think it is worth have both a Fuze and a Clip+.

Just my humble opinion…but if video isn’t important to you…I actually prefer the Clip over the fuze.  I had 2 Fuzes and got rid of them and now own a Clip+.  I use it for my everyday, throwaround player.  But for times more capacity is needed, my wife has a 120GB player, and I, a 250GB…

Because the Fuze has the MicroSD slot, and the Clip doesn’t, you now have the opportunity to keep much more music in your player–up to a 16GB card, and prices for those are dropping daily.  I think that’s an upgrade from the Clip, even if you never ever play a video.

You could always get a silicone skin case for about $5–some of those have clips or armbands  if you’re desperate to have one.  I usually have pocket space for my Fuze.

@black_rectangle wrote:

Because the Fuze has the MicroSD slot, and the Clip doesn’t, you now have the opportunity to keep much more music in your player–up to a 16GB card, and prices for those are dropping daily.  I think that’s an upgrade from the Clip, even if you never ever play a video.

But the new Clip+ does have a MicroSD card slot making its memory expandable.

Is seeing album art or photos a consideration? Neither Clip as display this, whereas the Fuze will. Some people have to have this, where others could care less.

The OP’s choice was between a Clip and a Fuze–a clear win for the Fuze. 

I’m actually thinking about a Clip+ for myself as my next player, but there’s no pressing need to replace my own Fuze.

can always sell the fuze and  buy another clip

The form factor is why the Clip+ or even the original Clip wins out over the Fuze for me.  Players the size of the Fuze are a dime a dozen  There are plenty of players in that field and the Fuze doesn’t even make the “cut”. 

I do know this…If I was issued a replacement for my Clip+; and they sent me a Fuze…I would consider that an unacceptable substitute.

The Fuze was a replacement for a Clip though, not a Clip+. He was not offered a Clip+. The reason most players are larger than the Clip+ is that most people want more than 12 hours of battery life, and a screen that is not so small. I would prefer battery life much longer than what the Fuze offers. When I use the Clip+, I also miss the scroll wheel on the Fuze. I guess they couldn’t figure out how to make the scroll wheel small enough to fit on the Clip+, or perhaps some people may have had trouble operating such a small wheel?

@jk98 wrote:
The Fuze was a replacement for a Clip though, not a Clip+. He was not offered a Clip+. The reason most players are larger than the Clip+ is that most people want more than 12 hours of battery life, and a screen that is not so small. I would prefer battery life much longer than what the Fuze offers. When I use the Clip+, I also miss the scroll wheel on the Fuze. I guess they couldn’t figure out how to make the scroll wheel small enough to fit on the Clip+, or perhaps some people may have had trouble operating such a small wheel?

Not everyone wants the same thing when it comes to players.  That’s why there is more than one model or one manufacturer.  The clip or clip+ is my preference over the fuze; that doesn’t mean it will be everyones.

I just know that without the Clip or Clip+, I would have stopped using Sandisk players a while ago…again…my preference.

What Fuze-size player do you prefer, (ex)-Fuze Owner GB?

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

The form factor is why the Clip+ or even the original Clip wins out over the Fuze for me.  Players the size of the Fuze are a dime a dozen  There are plenty of players in that field and the Fuze doesn’t even make the “cut”. 

I do know this…If I was issued a replacement for my Clip+; and they sent me a Fuze…I would consider that an unacceptable substitute.

Got to agree with this 100%. Once I got a Clip I never used the Fuze as much. The existence of the Clip+ changes everything. The only thing the Fuze has over it is battery life, and subpar video capability. If they don’t upgrade the Fuze’s video capability ( and the SMC ) and internal memory size, then they might as well just cancel it…but they won’t. It’ll be kept around like the View, most likely.:neutral_face:

@black_rectangle wrote:

I would gladly answer that in an open forum, but since this a Sandisk sponsored forum…I will politely decline…

I will say this…The fuze-size market is a crowded one and there are many quality contentenders…

The Fuze does a decent job of displaying photos. Many who buy a Clip+ aren’t getting it to be their only player. It is a second or third player. The Clip+ has its place, however the rather limited battery life, small display, and lack of a scroll wheel make the Clip+ not the best choice as a player for many who want to have just one player. I have a Clip, Clip+, and Fuze, but bought the Fuze first before the Clip. Even if the Clip+ was available when I bought the Fuze, I doubt I would have bought a Clip+ without first buying a Fuze(or some other player with a larger screen and longer battery life than the Clip+).

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-12-2009 03:40 PM

The clip+ controls are kinda like the ipod’s which stink. i would keep the fuze because it does have the same great audio chip as the clip+ and it has the famous scroll wheel which makes going through menus have a “flowing” feeling. The fuze also has rockbox. But still it depends what you want to use it for. but still i would only buy the clip+ for it’s clip.

@jk98 wrote:
The Fuze does a decent job of displaying photos. Some people want that. Marvin, you got a Samsung Q2. Isn’t that similar in size(or perhaps a bit larger?) than the Fuze? The Sony S545 is also probably closer in size to the Fuze than the Clip+. Many who buy a Clip+ aren’t getting it to be their only player. It is a second or third player. The Clip+ has its place, however the rather limited battery life, small display, and lack of a scroll wheel make the Clip+ not the best choice as a player for many who want to have just one player. I have a Clip, Clip+, and Fuze, but bought the Fuze first before the Clip. Even if the Clip+ was available when I bought the Fuze, I doubt I would have bought a Clip+ without first buying a Fuze(or some other player with a larger screen and longer battery life than the Clip+).

I will grant you that for photos, the Fuze was OK. And please, everyone, don’t misconstrue my remarks as Fuze-bashing…I had mine for 11 months, and it worked very well for me. The Fuze and Clip were my introduction to the world of digital audio players, and easy to learn how to use, and remarkably trouble free. I bought something different because I wanted to see what else was out there. And JK98, the display size is a good point…while my eyes still can read the Clip’s display without difficulty, that wouldn’t necessarily be the case for everyone. Maybe someone with big fingers could have trouble operating the Clip, too.

The Q2 is similar in size to the Fuze…a little narrower but taller.The S545 is nearly the same size as the Q2. While they both work better as video units than the Fuze, I use them for the same thing I use my Clip for…music and podcasts.

They just happen to have album art, (which isn’t a big deal, really…never missed it on the Clip ) , more output power, and vastly more functional EQ/enhancement effects. I only have one set of 'phones that are “just right” with my Clip on Normal, and I’m not prepared to jettison the rest, and I can’t afford to replace them all either. These players are not the tiny, clip-and-forget player that the Clip is, but coming into the wintertime, there’s less call for that kind of player. I even have a co-worker inquiring as to my Clip’s availability. If he makes the right offer, I will sell it to him…and then next spring, buy a Clip+. I’m not bailing on Sansa. :wink:

@sansafinder wrote:
The clip+ controls are kinda like the ipod’s which stink. i would keep the fuze because it does have the same great audio chip as the clip+ and it has the famous scroll wheel which makes going through menus have a “flowing” feeling. The fuze also has rockbox. But still it depends what you want to use it for. but still i would only buy the clip+ for it’s clip.

The Fuze doesn not have rockbox…rockbox can be put on it. ANd the same applies to the Clip.

"Black-Rectangle wrote:

I would gladly answer that in an open forum, but since this a Sandisk sponsored forum…I will politely decline…"

People list all kinds of other equipment in their signatures, so I really don’t think you should hold back. SanDisk doesn’t seem particularly vigorous about monitoring this forum anyway. And what is SanDisk going to do, remotely Format your Clip+? 

I’m just asking out of curiosity, since you’re obviously very well-informed on tech matters. 

@marvin_martian wrote:

The Fuze doesn not have rockbox…rockbox can be put on it. ANd the same applies to the Clip.

I’m talking about a beta version. check this if ya don’t believe me. :smiley:

@black_rectangle wrote:
@"Black-Rectangle wrote:

I would gladly answer that in an open forum, but since this a Sandisk sponsored forum…I will politely decline…"

People list all kinds of other equipment in their signatures, so I really don’t think you should hold back. SanDisk doesn’t seem particularly vigorous about monitoring this forum anyway. And what is SanDisk going to do, remotely Format your Clip+? 

I’m just asking out of curiosity, since you’re obviously very well-informed on tech matters. 

Like I said there are many credible players.  My wife has a Zune 16 and 120, and she loves both… I have a Clip+ and an Archos 5 and I love them both.  When you have a music collection as extensive as mine, it’s nice to have a great everyday player (Clip+) and a player that will hold more content.  If I had to opt for just one player, I’d probably go with my 250GB Archos 5.  Not only does it do music and video well, but it includes WiFi connectivity and other nifty features.

But with that said, there are some other great players out there…by Samsung and Sony and others.

No single player is correct for everyone…