What music management software do you recommend for the Sport Clip?

What music management software do you recommend for transferring files and making playlists?  I’ve already tried Media Monkey and WMP–neither seems to work.  Does anything work?

Drag and drop is working okay for now, but eventually I’m going to want something more sophisticated.

For playlists, is there any way around creating duplicate files on my PC?  I’ve spent years organizing my library and the thought of having duplicates makes my skin crawl…

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello I’m looking also for a good software to make smart playlists with my Clip Sport, hopefully someone can help me! otherwise this tiny and nice mp3 player wont be useful for me… :frowning:

I’m also wondering what the community is using too. Looks like I can use Windows Media Player to manage but I was curious if there’s another solution to manage music?

I use foobar2000, Winamp will also work. These are the two I’m familiar with, but I’m sure others will work as well.

Creating playlists is quite simple, just make sure to exactly follow this procedure: Open the Sport’s drive (either the internal memory or the microSD card) on your Windows computer, drag and drop the music files you want to add to the playlist to Foobar2000’s or Winamp’s playlist editor. Save the playlist as M3U to the root directory of the respective drive on the Sport. – The latter part is essential. If you save the playlist on your computer and copy it to the player it won’t work.

It wasn’t working when I originally started this thread, but MusicBee appears to have added support for the SportClip.  MusicBee is similar to iTunes, WMP, WinAmp, etc, but lightning fast and much less bloated.

http://getmusicbee.com/

I was searching for ways to better synchronize music, or just generally transfer music, to the Sport Clip I just bought. This forum topic came up near the top of my search results. I looked on the internet for a few days and played around with a few things to find some sort of method that works well for me. The method I eventually ended up deciding to use works for my new SanDisk Clip Sport Plus, a Motorola moto e (using pre-installed YT Music app), and an older Samsung Galaxy Tab A (using pre-installed Play Music app).

Essentially what I’m doing is the drag-and-drop method of transfer but with playlists. I’m not using the method of creating playlist suggested in the manual using Windows Media Player (WMP), but what I am doing works on all 3 of those devices. Basically you need the playlist file (*.m3u) in the same directory as the music the playlist is in.

I had an iPod Touch that I used probably 10-12 years ago, so I got used to using iTunes as my music management software. And I grew to really like using iTunes for playing and ripping music from CDs into my library. I did look for other music library software that may make transferring music easier. I had used doubleTwist Sync to transfer some playlists to the moto e a couple times. But I didn’t find any real music library management software that would inherently sync music easily with the Sport Clip. The method of transferring playlist with doubleTwist to my phone (moto e) wasn’t going to work with the Sport Clip either.

So basically is what I am doing is using iTunes and some manual methods like drag-and-drop. I use iTunes to create my playlists, and export them as the *.m3u playlist file needed by the Sport Clip. I create a folder on my Windows computer for each playlist. Then in iTunes I go to the playlist and export it as the *m3u file to the folder for that playlist. Then to put the songs into the folder I select/highlight all the songs in the playlist within iTunes, right mouse click and select “Copy” from the drop-down list, then select the folder in Windows that I made for all the music in that playlist and “Paste” the music to the folder. The *.m3u file will have the full path to the music on your computer in it, which is going to cause problems playing it on your device because the path on your computer and device will be different. Not to mention that when you have the playlist as the same folder of the music a path isn’t really needed or expected by software playing the music. I use the script named “LocalizeM3U” downloaded from iTunes | Scripts for iTunes for Windows to remove the path from all the entries in the *.m3u file. Then I connect my device to the computer (Sport Clip) and drag-and-drop the folder from my computer into the Music folder for the device.

Like I said earlier, this works for my Motorola moto e and Samsung Galaxy Tab A in addition to my SanDisk Clip Sport Plus. The tricky parts are copying the music to a folder and using the script to alter the playlist (*.m3u) file a bit. The music is copied from the iTunes software’s playlist listing, not the iTunes music folder. And for the script you basically just drag and drop the *.m3u file into the script file on your computer as mentioned in the description of the script on the website listed above.

Hopefully this will help others who need a good way to transfer music to their SanDisk or Android devices. It’s not super easy, but it also isn’t much more difficult than drag-and-drop methods. Plus if works with playlists. iTunes has some smart playlists too, ones you don’t need to manually create. Some of them are automatically created, but you can automate a process in iTunes to make them too. Which sort of makes moving music to the Sport Clip a little better than regular drag-and-drop even though this is still basically a drag-and-drop method.