WHAT DO I NEED FOR MY SANSA FUZE TO BE ABLE TO UPLOAD MUSIC

I know I need the Sansa Media Converter…but I wasn’t able to download it from the Sansa Site because whenever I would try to and after I would click Run and everything a small window box would pop up and tell me I didn’t have any internet connection (um, i do).

So where else can I download the Sansa Media Converter and is this what it should look like: http://yfrog.com/14sansapicturep

I really need help otherwise I wont be able to do anything with my Sansa lol. 

To load music you dont need the converter. All you have to once the songs are on your computer is copy and paste them to the music folder on your player

The Media Converter is for video. To get music from CDs to your computer and have them in mp3 format, you need a ripping program. Most computers already have Windows Media Player installed, which will do the job. Start Windows Media Player(click on Start, Programs,Windows Media Player) , then click on the rip tab. Choose mp3 for the format, then click the rip tab again , and choose a bitrate. I recommend using at least 182 kbps for good sound quality. Now you can insert a music CD in your CD rom drive. You will need to be connected to the internet while ripping, so the program can retrieve the tags for the CD from over the net.

Connect the player to your pc to charge it. Let it charge for a few hours until it is fully charged. Before disconnecting it, copy the sample songs on the player to your pc. After that is finished, disconnect the player. Turn on the player and change the USB mode to MSC. Next choose format on the player’s menu. This will delete all songs on the player. When that finishes, reconnect the player to the pc. Now you can start copying the music you ripped from your CDs to the player.

Open Windows Explorer(right click on start, click on Explore). click on the + next to My documents, then next to my music. You should see the albums you ripped there, or somewhere near there.

Right click on an album then choose copy. Find the music folder for the player in the window, right click on it, then click paste.  You could create a new folder within my music and move many albums in there, so you could copy and paste that folder to the player moving many albums at a time to the player. This is all very easy once you get the hang of it.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-05-2009 07:50 PM

How To Videos

User Manual

But the first thing you should do is: Update your firmware.

The sansa media converter should look like this.

Okay. I’m a real newb at this, obviously. So I’m reallly confused right now.

Okay so I tried installing the Sanza Fuze Firmware. I am Version VO2.01.09A, so I should download Version 2 of Sansa Fuze Firmware 02.02.26 download   off of here. Everytime I click on the Sansa Fuze Firmware to download, a window later pops up and tells me I don’t have any internet connection. My Sansa is plugged in, and all it is doing is charging and it doesn’t stop even when it’s already fully charged. So I can’t use it at all when it’s plugged in because it just charges. Is this normal?

@lild wrote:

Okay. I’m a real newb at this, obviously. So I’m reallly confused right now.

Okay so I tried installing the Sanza Fuze Firmware. I am Version VO2.01.09A, so I should download Version 2 of Sansa Fuze Firmware 02.02.26 download   off of here. Everytime I click on the Sansa Fuze Firmware to download, a window later pops up and tells me I don’t have any internet connection. My Sansa is plugged in, and all it is doing is charging and it doesn’t stop even when it’s already fully charged. So I can’t use it at all when it’s plugged in because it just charges. Is this normal?

One issue at a time.

1. The issue with the firmware download is strange. I would guess that the issue is with your computer. Try and restart the computer, and if you get the same error try using another computer (maybe a friend’s) to see if that works. If it does then you know the error is caused by your computer and is not on the Sansa Server.

2. When the player is plugged into the computer you cannot play it like normal, you have to play it through windows media player. It does stop charging but stays in “Connected” mode, when plugged into the computer as well. When its charging youll see that the battery Icon will flash in sections as it fills up, and there will be a little yellow “Lightning Bolt” next to the battery Icon, when these things stop the battery is completely charged. 

I just tried the download link and had no trouble with it.

Updated or not, putting music on the Fuze is as easy as plugging in a thumb drive. Go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and make it MSC, which makes it work like a thumb drive. 

Connect the Fuze. Look in Computer or My Computer (Vista or XP) and you’ll see two new drives–the unit itself and the slot, which is Removable Disc (you need to have a MicroSD card in there to use that drive). Click on the unit, make a folder, throw your mp3s in there. Unplug, watch it Refresh Database, and happy listening. 

That Sansa Media Converter you showed at the beginning is an old and very buggy version. Click on Welcome to SanDisk’s Sansa Community up on the left, below your login name, and there’s a whole forum about SMC–including the latest version to download. But you don’t need it at all unless you are dealing with videos. And now with ssorgatem’s video4fuze program, you don’t need SMC ever.

Okay, so I open My Computer, click on the Unit (which is the Icon that says SANSA FUZE (J:) ?) in this picture.

Once I opened it, this is what I saw. There’s a Music Folder and everything so why do I need to create one when there already is? I tried to download some music off of sites just by right clicking, save target as…, and saving it in it’s Music Folder. I unplugged my Sansa and it was “refreshing my data”. Checked my recently added music on my Sansa, and nothing there. Am I doing anything wrong?

Yeah, I’m still learning.

@conversionbox wrote:

1. The issue with the firmware download is strange. I would guess that the issue is with your computer. Try and restart the computer, and if you get the same error try using another computer (maybe a friend’s) to see if that works. If it does then you know the error is caused by your computer and is not on the Sansa Server.

Maybe the OP is trying to use the Sansa Updater, and he’s behind an internet proxy server (very likely in a work-place network).

The Updater does not work behind a proxy. At least it didn’t when I last tried. And SnDisk help desk agreed that this was the case.

@lilD:

Sure, you can use the MUSIC folder. You can also make a folder of your own. Whatever you prefer.

“I tried to download some music off of sites just by right clicking, save target as…, and saving it in it’s Music Folder. I unplugged my Sansa and it was “refreshing my data”. Checked my recently added music on my Sansa, and nothing there.”

Your screenshots are good. Can you show a screenshot of what’s on the Fuze after you download, inside MUSIC? 

We need to see what you’re actually putting onto the Fuze. I like to to download to my computer, examine the files and then transfer over via MSC, but obviously you can just download files onto the Fuze if you don’t want safety copies. Still, it helps to check them with your computer, and fix them if necessary, before you unplug and refresh. 

There are many kinds of music files. mp3, wma, ogg, flac, aac, m4a, rax…  The Fuze (with the latest firmware) plays mp3, wma, ogg and FLAC. It either ignores or briefly shows the filename of files it can’t play.  Also, its lists (Recently Added, Album, Artist, Song) are derived from ID3 tags, data inside the files, and it needs to be able to read those to show them to you.

m4a are Apple’s files for iPod. They won’t play on the Fuze. If that’s what you’re downloading, you have to convert them. You can do that with Media Coder

Your computer may not be showing you the file extensions (mp3, wma, etc.)  In My Computer, click Tools/Folder Options/View and un-check “Hide extensions for known filetypes.” That will let you see what kind of files you are downloading, and we can take it from there.

If they are m4a, have Media Coder convert them to mp3 at a pretty high quality–192 kbps or better. 

Also, I looked at your screenshot. You’ve got a lot of drives on there! Make sure the Sansa cord is plugged directly into the computer, not a USB hub, or it may not get enough power–though it does seem to be working OK at the moment.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-07-2009 09:21 AM

This is what’s in my Sansas Music Folder when I downloaded a random song. Maybe I shouldn’t be downloading the music off of the site I was because theres not really an extension code even though I went by the directions you gave me.

@lild wrote:

This is what’s in my Sansas Music Folder when I downloaded a random song. Maybe I shouldn’t be downloading the music off of the site I was because theres not really an extension code even though I went by the directions you gave me.

you may downloading m3u files, which are temp files that need the website to be open to play. Try Ripping your own Cd or Buying 1 mp3 (its $0.99 from Amazon) and then adding it

You haven’t downloaded the music file, you have downloaded the html page instead.

Well how do you download the music file?

Haha

Where are you downloading from? Every site is different. Wherever you were trying to get Lady Gaga, you probably had to click on the html link to open another page to download the song. 

Just to see how a real site works, if you’re in the US, go to www.emusic.com and sign up for the free mp3s trial offer.  You may also have to download the Emusic Downloader. That will let you download albums into a folder called MyEmusic on your desktop. Then you put the Fuze in MSC mode and drag over the mp3 files. They should be in a nice neat folder named after the album, or nested like Artist/Album. 

If you don’t like Emusic  or it’s too expensive, don’t forget to unsubscribe before the trial offer is over, probably 30 days. 

Don’t buy files from iTunes–they are m4a and would have to be converted. Amazon sells actual mp3s. 

I didn’t have to click on a link, and another page didn’t open. As they just said I needed to right click and Save the Target as. So I did and saved it into my Sansa Music Folder.

I just clicked on a random song to try and see if it would work, and this is the site I downloaded from.

It worked for me. Try downloading, it to your computer’s desktop and then copy and paste it to the player.  And you have to click download which is a link to another page and you can download it from there

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 09-07-2009 08:16 PM

OK, I just clicked on Download (right-click and Save Target As…) for what was supposed to be the Lady Gaga mp3.

ladygagapaparazzi_hellolurve.mp3

That looks like an mp3 file, but it’s not a whole song.

Fat chance. It’s a tiny 1.06kb file. That would play less than .01 second of music as an mp3. A real mp3 would be about 1MB per minute of music.

You’re going to have to go to someplace less shady to get music. Or try another song–maybe the Lady Gaga was just ■■■■■■ bait. But I’m not going to play around that site because I don’t trust it.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-07-2009 05:59 PM

Click download to open the link… I got 2 songs (I know they were CCL ) and it worked.