Using a Clip for Podcasts

We will use the track title for Podcasts in the next release,  you dont need to have ID tags.  Just place them in the “Podcasts” folder.

That’s just great to hear, for these short-lived files!

TY Milkerman and Sansafix.

Miikerman,

I hate to but in here, but something you said interests me. When you say Juice is an “aggregator,” I’m wondering if it might solve a problem I’ve had. I listen to a podcast called GizWiz. It runs every day, and I usually download a week’s worth at a time, and I listen to them when I’m running. I haven’t figured out a way (on my iPod) to have them play one after another. At the end of one (about 15 minutes), the iPod navigates back to the main menu, so I have to drill back down (while running, mind you) to get to the second, third, and so on podcast. I’ve tried putting them in a separate playlist like songs would be in, but they still won’t play consecutively. Would Juice allow for this?

dpd

Miikerman,

I hate to but in here, but something you said interests me. When you say Juice is an “aggregator,” I’m wondering if it might solve a problem I’ve had. I listen to a podcast called GizWiz. It runs every day, and I usually download a week’s worth at a time, and I listen to them when I’m running. I haven’t figured out a way (on my iPod) to have them play one after another. At the end of one (about 15 minutes), the iPod navigates back to the main menu, so I have to drill back down (while running, mind you) to get to the second, third, and so on podcast. I’ve tried putting them in a separate playlist like songs would be in, but they still won’t play consecutively. Would Juice allow for this?

dpd

Miikerman,

dpd

Sorry, Juice isn’t the solution for that one.  What Juice does is, once you tell it the address on the web to look for, download the podcasts then available for the show to your computer (or a destination device attached to your computer), at a predetermined time (such as every day at noon).  Thus, you wouldn’t have to go to the website yourself to download–they already are on your computer waiting to be transferred over to your player (or are on your player itself, if you’ve left the player attached to the computer and have selected the player as the destination spot).

In my case, Juice runs everyday at 1 p.m. when I’m at lunch.  And then, every now and again when I think of it, I click a shortcut that I set up on my computer desktop and the downloaded podcasts get transferred to my attached player (I have another shortcut then to delete those podcasts from the computer–I didn’t want that to happen automatically once the podcasts were transferred, in case I wanted to hold on to them).

My player (an iRiver iHP-140 hard drive player, with Rockbox installed) is set to automatically advance to the next file in a folder when the last file has been played–just like what you want.  I have to think that Apple players can do that as well–that’s kind of basic.  You may want to check with some other Apple owners.

P.S.  Thanks for the podcast suggestion–I just subscribed to it, already being a big TWiT devotee!

Of course, once you navigate to “podcasts”, the Clip will build a list of all of them, and you CAN forward to each captured podcast in sequence.

I have Juice dounload each of my favorite subscriptions into one of four podcast playlists- so all you have to do is choose the desired playlist.  Juice automatically keeps a cleaned-up list of one or two weeks worth of podcasts for each playlist.  I can delete them one at a time on the device, or just let the cleanup process truncate the oldest ones automatically.

At the end of the playlist, the Clip halts, or sits in “pause” mode, at the first podcast in the playlist.

Bob   :smileyvery-happy:

@sansafix wrote:
It will resume the podcast on power on.  The next firmware version will even remember your place if you select other content and come back  (available in a few weeks).

I just bought a clip today underthe promise that this resume feature will be there soon.  I sure hope it happens. Very cool feature.

Continuing delays (but hey, at least they’re working on it!).  Next week?