USB modes for Clip

I had been having problems, with the annoying ‘New Hardware found’ popup balloon.  I searched the net for solutions.  Ran accross one post that suggested changing the USB connection method to MSC mode.  I have three clips of various ages.  After switching the I  was able to connect to computer and upload/download files.  BUT, while the newly loaded files are on the device, along with old files,  the old ones do not show up when you open the Music folder in Explorer.  They physically on the devices and playable.  Therefore, I have lost many of the old files.  Any help on explaining this and most improtantly fixing it will be apprecited.

Your coputer cannot see files loaded in both USB modes at the same time. Files loaded iin MTP will not be visible in MSC and vise-versa.

Best to delete everything (formatting is easiest to do this) and re-load all in MSC mode.

Your computer cannot see files loaded in both USB modes at the same time. Files loaded iin MTP will not be visible in MSC and vise-versa.

Best to delete everything (formatting is easiest to do this) and re-load all in MSC mode.

Your computer cannot see files loaded in both USB modes at the same time. Files loaded iin MTP will not be visible in MSC and vise-versa.

Best to delete everything (formatting is easiest to do this) and re-load all in MSC mode. If your files that were put on in MTP/Auto Defect mode are backed on your computer, no worries. If not, you have have to switch the player to MTP mode, re-connect and copy these files to your hard drive. Then you have them backed-up and can easily re-copy them back to the player (after wiping the memory clean by formatting) in MSC mode.

Thanks, I have everything backed up.  I was hoping for one less step, but is proably a good thing to clean the memory.  Thanks for your help.

And now, you’re set for the future–just keep your player set to the current USB mode you’re in (and avoid the “Auto” USB mode, which can switch between MSC and MTP modes, depending on the computer you connect to, just confusing everything up).